Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch problem after 1K service

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2008, 01:31 PM
allenp99
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch problem after 1K service

Newbie here. 2008 Roadking went in for the 1K service and when I drove off the clutch would not engage until I let the clutch all the way out. It would only work at the very last bit of clutch lever. The first 1000 miles it was gradual engagemet across the full lever range. I went right back but the service dept was closed. When I called my service today guy he was real sceptical of my description
of the problem. I am going in tomorrow morning.

Do I have a problem? I have no range on the clutch, just on and off at the end of the clutch lever.

The bike has been awesome so far. After stage one it is like a new bike (except for the clutch).

Great forum here, I learned all about Harleys before I bought and got a better deal because of the information here.

Old 04-25-2008, 01:33 PM
IBHarley
Road Master
Default RE: Clutch problem after 1K service

I think they adjusted the basket to tight 1/8 turn back and you should have that gradual clutch again

Old 04-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Bryan TTM
Banned
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

just out of adjustment....take the derby cover off....get an 11/16 box end and loosen the jam nut...now get a 1/4 or 3/16 allen and turn the adjuster bolt counterclockwise just a bit....feel the lever...you should feel a difference....re-jam the jam nut and replace the derby cover...go ride it, adjust til satisfied....dont go back to the dealer

Old 04-25-2008, 02:25 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

the best thing to do is start from scratch with a cold clutch.....follow the instructions in the service manual....
If the service tech adjusted the clutch while it was hot or warm then the internal adjustment will be off......
dont hit and miss with internal adjustments and jacking with the cable in between...follow the instructions from scratch....

Old 04-25-2008, 02:38 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The procedure calls for you to loosen the adjuster on the cable as much as possible, remove derby cover and break the nut loose and then with a 7/32 allen wrench back the adjuster way out (counter clockwise), then start turning the adjuster back in (clockwise) until you feel a slight bit of pressure on the clutch pack, then back it off (counter clockwise) 1/2 turn. Pull the clutch in 2-3 times and see that you have about 1/16 - 1/8" play at the clutch purch, if so tighten the nuts on the cable adjuster and you should be good to go.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:41 PM
jmehal
Cruiser

I swear the mechanics at my dealer do that on each service just to F with me. It must be the "spec" they go by or something, but you figure any human who rode it would react just like you or I did, and then fix it.
Two of of 3 services this past year the clutch has been set to engage at the last 1/10,000,000 of an inch. I keep forgeting to request that they set it WHERE I HAD IT, and when I'm leaving I don't really notice until I am pulling out of the parking lot and don't feel like going back to get it adjusted. I just do it at home using the adjustment cable between the downtubes in front of the engine (on my Ultra at least).

Old 04-25-2008, 02:53 PM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: jmehal

I swear the mechanics at my dealer do that on each service just to F with me. It must be the "spec" they go by or something, but you figure any human who rode it would react just like you or I did, and then fix it.
Two of of 3 services this past year the clutch has been set to engage at the last 1/10,000,000 of an inch. I keep forgeting to request that they set it WHERE I HAD IT, and when I'm leaving I don't really notice until I am pulling out of the parking lot and don't feel like going back to get it adjusted. I just do it at home using the adjustment cable between the downtubes in front of the engine (on my Ultra at least).
It is hard for them to set it where you had it because that are doing maintenance on the clutch......Once they do an internal adjustment and which is allowing for plate wear in that adjustment and then set the cable for the proper slack at the perch...they are properly adjusting the clutch....and it may not be where you think it should be. There can be minor adjustments at the clutch cable.....but you could be tampering with proper adjustment.
Lastly...tell them you want the internal adjustment at 1 turn out.....that should make you a little happier....for whatever reason when most people read 1/2 to 1 turn out they tend to go conservative....1/2 is smaller than 1 but it is not conservative....try it you will like it at 1 turn.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:09 PM
atrox88
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

ORIGINAL: allenp99

when I drove off the clutch would not engage until I let the clutch all the way out. It would only work at the very last bit of clutch lever.
They did the same to mine on the first service. I did my adjustmentat the cable to get alittle free play in the lever which helped. Tomorrow I am going to change the fluid and do an adjustment there for the first time. Should be interesting.

Old 04-25-2008, 03:36 PM
cooper57M
Tourer

can anyone tell me which adjustment will engage (move bike) when the clutch lever closer to the handlebar rather than further away from handlebar.

1/2 turn out or 1 turn out on the adjusting screw

Old 04-25-2008, 03:52 PM
allenp99
Novice

I just bought the service manual and I think I can do it.

It does dissapoint me that they would leave it like that. And the attitude from the service writer was insulting.

I am a service engineer myself in another business and I would have no customers fast if I had that attitude.

Thanks for the advice

Quick Reply: Clutch problem after 1K service