Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Tourpak lighting from Custom Dynamics

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HD Tourpak lighting from Custom Dynamics

I'm looking at these light strips from Custom Dynamics. Has anyone used these or have any experience with them?
http://www.customdynamics.com/hd_tou...d_lighting.htm

Old 04-24-2008, 11:10 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: HD Tourpak lighting from Custom Dynamics

I've seen them on the premium leather TP's on '06 and '07 SE Ultras and they were installed as shown in your top picture. They provide good run and brake light function in terms of lighting. Those owners don't have the choice that a King TP owner has to use the HD spoiler/LED.

Haven't seen the strip on a King TP, though I don't doubt that it is at least as good a run/brake light as what I've seen on the SE Ultra applications.

It's a good alternative to be considered with theHD spoiler/LED, Hog Lite, squadfitters/Whelen LED strip LED, etc.--I went with the HD spoiler/LED because I thought the lighting was equivalent and prefer the spoiler on the box for cosmetic reasons.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:53 PM
T in San Diego
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put them on my king tp with the intergrated turn signals. I like them.

Old 04-30-2008, 04:41 PM
HawgriderPa
Road Captain

I did the Hoglight under the tourpak and the harley spoiler on top.. with a "backoff flasher. Hoglight was $65 on ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Harle...spagenameZWDVW

[IMG]local://upfiles/55933/56F72C17F8654F649C3F6502AE2EA1E4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

I looked at the Hoglite and I know some other member that have purchased it but I wanted something closer to the top of the tourpak. On top of that, I sent an email to Hoglite and it was never able to be delivered. That made me a bit leary of dealing with them.

I just ordered the lite with the amber turn signales from Custom Dynamics tonight. I'm also putting some LED strips on the saddlebak rails for some extra light in back. I'll post some pics once the parts are here and installed.

Thanks all for the input.

Old 04-30-2008, 11:24 PM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

I've seen them on the premium leather TP's on '06 and '07 SE Ultras and they were installed as shown in your top picture. They provide good run and brake light function in terms of lighting. Those owners don't have the choice that a King TP owner has to use the HD spoiler/LED.

Haven't seen the strip on a King TP, though I don't doubt that it is at least as good a run/brake light as what I've seen on the SE Ultra applications.

It's a good alternative to be considered with theHD spoiler/LED, Hog Lite, squadfitters/Whelen LED strip LED, etc.--I went with the HD spoiler/LED because I thought the lighting was equivalent and prefer the spoiler on the box for cosmetic reasons.
I agree with you....Cosmetic appeal of the spoiler is going to win out here too. Just bugs me to have to wait...lol.

Im also looking at a way to turn the lights on the tour pak into functioning turn signals too. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

Billy G

Old 05-01-2008, 12:55 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

BillyG--I wired the HD saddlebag spoiler LED's to function as turn signals in addition to their normal function--normally these are wired to the accessory plug under the seat and function as run and brake lights. I wired mine to the HD run/brake/turn signal module that normally is used to convert the turn signals to run and brake lights in addition to turn signals. The saddlebag spoiler LED's have worked great for at least a year wired to the module.

You could do the same thing with the TP lights, but you would need to split the harness inside the TP to create a left and right harness-normally they are not split. I thought about doing precisely this when I did the TP lid spoiler/LED at the same time as the saddlebag spoiler LED's, but decided not to because I didn't feel the need for it (if a cage can't see Ultra lights, lid spoiler LED, saddlebag LED's, turn signals, brake light, and SG facia LED I'm sunk), and didn't want to mess with the wiring inside the TP which is off my bike 95% of the time.

Personally, I hope you will do it and write-up the "How To" --including pics of course.

Old 05-20-2008, 05:34 PM
Gregte
Advanced

ORIGINAL: capt_caveman

I'm looking at these light strips from Custom Dynamics. Has anyone used these or have any experience with them?
http://www.customdynamics.com/hd_tou...d_lighting.htm

Hey Cap'; You ever go with these?? It's just what I have been looking for as I think the HD spoiler is a little pricey plus I really don't like the profile.

I know they "stick" on but do you still have to drill into the pak to run the wire??

Thanx

Greg

Old 05-20-2008, 07:39 PM
03ultra100th
Cruiser

Go to: ridetimetechnology.com, they have tour pak light conversions for both styles of lights. Make them run,turn and brake and makes the side lights led style with the same functions.

Old 05-20-2008, 09:34 PM
capt_caveman
Road Captain

I did go with these lights. I put 2 small lights on the bottom tourbag rails and the strip on the tourpack. I also wired up a the brakelight flasher from Comagination. I had to drill 2 1/8 in holes in the toiurpack to run the wires. Not a big deal and sealed the holes with some GOOP. I ran the wires from the right side under the rear fender tip, and then both wires up the left side and into the tourpak with the factory harness. Instead of splicing into the harness in multiple places, I spliced all my connections on the bike side of the harness that runs to the rear fender (it's the connector under the seat) and ran the harness up to the tourpak along side the factory wires.

Here are a couple of pics. I've received very good feedback from some of my fellow HOG members.