Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

night riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 12:44 PM
lowleveldriver
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: night riding

Riding at night is like flying a lowlevel if you know what you could hit you wouldnt do it. I try to get home before dark and leave after dusk.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:33 PM
relli
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

im really surprised by the hi number that dont ride at nite. i dont see how you are any more likley to hit a deer than you are to be hit by a cage.if i didnt ride at nite, or in the rain, or wind or hot sun or cold or crowded roads or ect....... when would i ride???? i dont live my life with a sense of false bravado but i wont live it in fear of what "might" happen either. im not ridiculing anyones personal choices i just dont understand all the "rules" some riders have for when to ride or not ride. i just love riding too much to let the small things in life keep that from me. my opinion.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:52 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: swestbrook60

ORIGINAL: beaucoup_dinkydow

Might be a little off-topic, but here goes.
Do those deer-whistle things help or not?
Read from many sources that claim the deer whistles don't work. However, years back Halliburton (when it was just an oil field service company) averaged 75 truck/deer accidents per year in the part of Texas I was living. After installing deer whistles on all their trucks, that average dropped to 2 per year.
After they kill all them with the trucks the year beforeand have the VP go hunting! Sure the things appear to work.

Edit: back to org thread,

I love riding at night. Yah, you have some potiential for critters and bugs but its so much more relaxing to drive long distance at night with less cage traffic.

Old 04-27-2008, 02:05 PM
lowleveldriver
Tourer

Hey Relli , sad to say I'm in NYC I don't know what is worse a deer or a non english speaking yellow taxi driver at 9pm in NY. You can use a deer horn, wear rain gear but you can't stop those A holes when the light goes green; and yellow lights means drive faster before it turns red.

Old 04-27-2008, 03:10 PM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: lowleveldriver

Hey Relli , sad to say I'm in NYC I don't know what is worse a deer or a non english speaking yellow taxi driver at 9pm in NY. You can use a deer horn, wear rain gear but you can't stop those A holes when the light goes green; and yellow lights means drive faster before it turns red.
Dude, some of the scariest rides of my life have been going through, in or leaving your city.

People are CRAZY. They Beep before the lights change, ride on your fender, change lanes with out warning and yell at everyone for every little thing.

I actually feel better sitting in NY traffic then on the highway entering or exiting the city.

People always say Boston drivers are bad but they got nothing on themotorists of NYC

Not to mention the streets and roads in and around the city resemble the surface of the moon

Old 04-28-2008, 12:44 AM
rcartie
Advanced

I ride in the dark alot don't over drive your lights and be sure they are ajusted right I pulled a tape measure and followed the instructions in my owner's manual to the letter. much improved over the way my bike came to me from the factory. I have had several sightings and a few hard breaking situations. the best one I came to a complete stop with 4 deer in front of me and 3 or 4 more behind me. thats when I did something REALLY DUMB I blew the horn the dang deer started the bambi ballarina tryouts! deer were jumping, falling and generally going crazy. I had to wonder if they would finish before a semi showed up and plowed us all under. all ended well I DO NOT blow my horn at deer any more. ps so far I have hit one each: raccoon, opposum, armadillo, and a cat. the cat was a daylight hit anyway good luck to to you all

Old 04-28-2008, 02:05 AM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Wow, I wonder who owns all those bikes I pass at Hooter's every night? Must not be forum members here based on these responses...lol