Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

night riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2008, 04:09 AM
Trey Hogger
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: night riding

ORIGINAL: NightStalker

I hate riding at night. Damn deer everywhere here in Wisconsin. Heres some product info on those useless deer whistles:

Deer whistles, mounted on the fronts of cars, trucks, and motorcycles, allegedly produce ultrasonic frequencies and/or audible sounds from the wind rushing through them. These sounds are supposed to repel or warn animals, particularly deer, elk, moose and dogs, of oncoming vehicles.

The manufacturers claim that two European studies proved that the whistles work. Not so. They were initially tried in Europe about 25 years ago but research did not prove them to be successful. Now they are being sold in the United States with European claims. The study from Finland, which the advertisers refer to, states that from all of the experiments conducted "it was unsure that the animals were not disturbed by the approach itself, so that the whistle sound was the only disturbing factor." The second study from Switzerland concludes that the whistling sound, which is well within the human hearing range, is so weak that it is overlaid by the noise of the moving vehicle. A scientific advisory panel from the World Society for the Protection of Animals states, after extensive review, that there is no known data "that shows that such devices can actually stop an animal crossing the road, which is the main purpose of the device."
Even if the devices were effective, they would soon become clogged with insects and dirt (since they are mounted on the front of the vehicle) and would stop working.
The state police in Ohio, after months of testing, found no significant decrease in patrol car/deer accidents after the warning devices were installed. In fact, more accidents were reported by the officers after the whistles were installed than before for the same period of time and stretches of highway. Tests conducted in Utah, Georgia and Wisconsin also concluded that deer whistles don't work.
The odds are you won't hit a deer. Your best protection is to drive defensively, particularly as the sun sets. This is when most vehicle/deer accidents occur. Slow down when you see one deer. More often another is right behind it.
Until there is some solid evidence, other than personal testimonials, that deer whistles are effective, keep your money in your pocket.

[hr]

Leonard R. Askham former WSU Associate Professor and Associate Research Scientist, Vertebrate Pest Management, Department of Horticulture and Landscape Architecture.

Issued by Washington State University Cooperative Extension and the U.S. Department of Agriculture in furtherance of the Acts of May 8 and June 30, 1914. Cooperative Extension programs and policies are consistent with federal and state laws and regulations on nondiscrimination regarding race, color, gender, national origin, religion, age, disability, and sexual orientation. Evidence of noncompliance may be reported through your local Cooperative Extension office. Trade names have been used to simplify information; no endorsement is intended. Published February 1992. Subject code 440. A
So as they say on TV, "myth busted!."

Old 04-27-2008, 08:52 AM
bike_r_trash
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

We try to plan most of long trips with riding during daylight. Usually, we get on the road by 7 and off before dark. However, sometimes you still have miles to cover to your destination. A couple of years ago we found ourselves near Custer State Park in South Dakota, and no option but to go through a heavily wooded area in the dark. Here's what worked for us. We followed a car through - we kept the car fairly close without tailgating - which gave us the additional advantage of a "blocker" for the deer and extra light. I actually spotted several deer before I got to them thanks to the car's headlights.

Old 04-27-2008, 09:50 AM
ratcat
Tourer

I do ride at night, but night riding and rain are one thing I avoid.

You all can get all the facts on the NHTSA web site, just google it, and keep looking for motorcycles.

There are more dangers out there than just deer at night; DUI drivers, over driving your lights, and the number one killer, besidesdriving under the influance, isfailing to negotiate a corner.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:01 AM
AllanW
Advanced

Dont have to worry so much about the deer whereI live, its the drunks I worry about.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:31 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I dont mind riding at night,adds more hours to the short ride season here in new england,if im on the interstate heading home from up north,i do tend to slow down let a bunch of cagers pass me,and then run with them ,using them as blockers and more light ahead of me. moose and deer are frequent visitors on the roads here in NH at night,nothing like letting the cagers run out front to light them up for ya even better when they see 'em first and all the brake lights come on. I have noticed alot more eyes glowing in the wooded medium strip between south & north lanes with all the cagers light ahead of me,bugs up north will turn my bike black in very little time,lol all said and done,the more riding the better,now the rain............... i will during the day if im out and get stuck in a storm,but at night "NO"

Old 04-27-2008, 10:37 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

I hit a fox (at night) a couple of months back with my truck. Messed-up the bumper pretty good _ I don't think I would care to hit that - or anything bigger - on the bike.

I live pretty close to a metro area - but I hear a lot of "you live way out there" comments when I tell local people where I live. I don't have the same issues you 'country folk'do - but I am still cautious at night because we still have a pretty heavy deer population.

I kinda try to make sure the bike is in the garage once the sun goes down - but it is more because of poor night vision. Getting old sucks.

Old 04-27-2008, 10:48 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Some of the most memorable rides I've ever been on have been at night. For good or bad.

Last year I was in rural PA on one of the darkest if not the darkest roads I've ever been on. Stopping wasn't an option because we were in the middle of no where.
There were dead animals along the side of the road like a horror movie. It was pretty scary stuff.

So over the winter I installed a set of 55W driving lights on the lower fairings.
There not really noticeable when the bike is on the ground and they are off.

They are not as orange or yellow as they appear in the photo and actually brighter.
They swivel and I can point them strait ahead or to the sides of the road if need be in seconds.

It was cheep, effective and if nothing else will give you some kind of peace of mind.

[IMG]local://upfiles/44089/65BF6B7B04C041148D244FF77C15489E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/44089/FB1A84EC168545198B8705DE24E90B41.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoy riding at night during the hot months of the year. There is something different about night air that makes for an entirely different riding experience....or it may just be me remembering when I live in the Amazon basin and had to work all day and could only ride at night!

In any case, I ride much slower, never over ride my headlights, and just relax and cruise.

Yes, I have deer whistles. No, I do not know if they are effective. I have not had a close call since installing them.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:42 AM
heywood727
Road Master

ORIGINAL: BirchwhiteHD

I dont mind riding at night,adds more hours to the short ride season here in new england,if im on the interstate heading home from up north,i do tend to slow down let a bunch of cagers pass me,and then run with them ,using them as blockers and more light ahead of me. moose and deer are frequent visitors on the roads here in NH at night,nothing like letting the cagers run out front to light them up for ya even better when they see 'em first and all the brake lights come on. I have noticed alot more eyes glowing in the wooded medium strip between south & north lanes with all the cagers light ahead of me,bugs up north will turn my bike black in very little time,lol all said and done,the more riding the better,now the rain............... i will during the day if im out and get stuck in a storm,but at night "NO"
+1

Did this behind a Semi that was bobtailing up to the border in Nothern Montana. Works great if it's there. Sometimes on a road trip you have to ride at night. Doesn't bother me much. If your numbers up...it's up.

I did broadside a buck at 75 mph in my truck once. Riding through Jasper National Park, the Elk are scared of the pipes. If I see them, I just pull in the clutch and give the throttle a roll. That's usually enough.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:57 AM
turbo38sfi
Road Master

I don't "like" riding at night, but sometimes you have to. We have deer up here also, but after putting an HID light on my bike, visibility is no longer a concern in the least. Can see as good as day with one. Highly recommended!!

Quick Reply: night riding