Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New RK High Bars are on my 08 w/ABS

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 04:55 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New RK High Bars are on my 08 w/ABS

YES, it was a pain in the ***, but worth every mind numbing, frustrating minute. No pics of the actual mod to the bars, since that's been beat to death, butI took some pics of the bars next to stock for comparison and pics after (sorry they're dark).

Everything, cable-wise, fit, the only real problem is the TBW and it's connection to the twist gip sensor inside the bars. They made the 08 bars out of thinner metal than the older RK high bars and that was all it took to keep it from sliding through. So, I went with fiv_o_po_po's mod and cut off the connectors and soldered them. It works great and the bars are absolutely perfect.

When you look at the comparison pic, it don't look like they are much different, but they are about 2" higher and are a shade narrower and back a bit; but that's all it took. Very happy.

P.S. these are, in my opinion,the best you will get out of the stock wiring/ABS set up on a 08 RKC without changing lines. Maybe another inch on the ABS line and the clutch has more, but the wiring to the switch housing is pretty well maxed out unless you cut the cable tie inside and worm another inch or so out of it.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:35 PM
Yardstick
Road Captain
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts
Default RE: New RK High Bars are on my 08 w/ABS

Were those bars the 07 RK high bars or did they come out with an 08 model? Also, I dont quite understand what you are saying about the TBW. Will the TBW fit inside the handlebar or not? Is it the connector on the headlight side that would not go through and you had to cut and splice to be able to fit the wires through the bars?

Old 04-24-2008, 05:43 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Yardstick

Were those bars the 07 RK high bars or did they come out with an 08 model? Also, I dont quite understand what you are saying about the TBW. Will the TBW fit inside the handlebar or not? Is it the connector on the headlight side that would not go through and you had to cut and splice to be able to fit the wires through the bars?

Chrome Road King® High Handlebar

Designed to provide extra comfort for the Road King® rider, this chrome bar is 4-1/2 inches higher and 2 inches narrower than the stock handlebar found on '96-'99 Road King® models and 3-1/2 inches higher and 1-1/2 inches narrower than stock handlebar on '00-'01 Road King® models. No additional cables or hoses required for installation.

Handlebar Measurements Comparison Chart
55954-00

Fits '96-'01 FLHR models.

MSRP US $49.95

The TBW is still inside the bars, like stock, except the green molex connections were removed and the wires soldered together. The female end (headlight side) would not fit through. Hope this answers your question.

Old 04-25-2008, 12:49 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Now we need to get out for a ride . . .

All that hard work has to have a pay off.

Good job. I can only imagine what all that soldering was like. [:@]
Steve

Old 04-25-2008, 01:09 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

I rode around the block a few times today New bars are perfect; new seat is perfect, new(old) s/e mufflers sound great and the bike runs excellent even without touching the ecm with my SERT. Got my SERT map and info to richen it up from Shovelheadbob and will do that on my next days off. But overall the bike looks different, feels great and sounds much better. I'm happy I'm trying to hook up with the mascot before it heads north. Can't be at the m&g, so I'm trying to get together with biggestdawg maybe tomorrow eve for a signing. Weathers looking good for the weekend, how about Sunday morn? Lunch with the wives and a ride?