Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang Solo w/backrest and Solo Tour Pac

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:42 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Mustang Solo w/backrest and Solo Tour Pac

Is anyone running the Mustang solo or other solo seat with the tour pac in a solo configuration? Is the tour pac back rest usable? Does it give you the same level of support that the Mustang backrest provides?

I'm going to buy the RK Custom leather tour pac and was wondering if I'll have to remove the tour pack back rest or not.

I did a search but thre was nothing on my specific question.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:13 PM
Ultra007
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Mustang Solo w/backrest and Solo Tour Pac

I have used the solo tour pack config. with a HD Sundowner solo bucket (RKstyle) and with a Corbin solo.
I did have to adjust it back to work with the Corbin as the seat sits about 2" back as compared to the Sundowner solo.
It is AWESOME for long cruises or even extra storage running to the store. WAY, way more support than a standard backrest, you'll never miss it.
I have the quick detach for both solo and two up. I have used the two up config. to allow a T-bag to sit on the passenger pillion with the Corbin. Now that's tons of storage, a big T-bag, two saddlebags and the tourpack.
Mine is an Ultra so I gain the other two speakers when I put the tour pack on for solo riding, it does add to the sound.
There is more upper body and side support with the Tourpack as compared to the standard backrest. I'm not sure if a backrest will still work when the tour pack is on.

U

[IMG]local://upfiles/57301/76F052A5A2B94502A1A75E5CCC60832C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

There may be a considerable difference in how the RK leather tour pak fits relative to the rider than the King/Ultra Tour Pak mounted on a solo detachable rack. I have a King TP mounted on the solo rack and it works fine as a backrest, at least for me; but, I don't usually ride with a rider backrest. Folks who do ride with a rider backrest would probably find the TP backrest to be a different support since the TP backrest will contact the rider higher up the back than a rider backrest, which would be more in the lower back, IMO.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:07 PM
casique
Road Warrior

Thats what I'm concerned with, I think the tour pac backrest will sit too high and not give me the back support that the Mustang backrest gives me now.

I always ride solo. Since we had kids five years ago, the wife will not ride with me. SO there is no reason to hang the tour pac way out there.

Old 04-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Bluerose

With the leather Tour Pack on my Deluxe you could not have used a full rider backrest. I had a low backrest with a custom pad that just supported me a bit until my back hit the tour pack.

Pretty sure that even if the backrest fit it would obstruct you from using the tour pac as a backrest....I have seen folks stick a nice lumbar support from the local office supplyagainst the Hard King tour pac to fill and void.

Here's some pics on how the deluxe was setup (not a Road King but close enough):

Without the low backrest there seemed to be a "hole" at the bottom. Maybe if you have the backrest all the way down it might work.

[IMG]local://upfiles/8743/B2B286C3CA45422C92491EFBE0118A64.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2008, 05:52 PM
cookiemech
Road Captain
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm using a Mustang solo seat with the Mustang backrest (and no backrest attached to my King Tour-Pak.) The Mustang backrest is excellent, but it does come close to hitting the Tour-Pak (doesn't touch, though.) I plugged the extra holes in the Tour Pak with plastic plugs I bought at Ace Hardware.

Doesn't exactly pertain to your question, though, if you have the leather Tour-Pak.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:47 PM
casique
Road Warrior

Can the backrest be removed from the leather tour pac?

If it dosen't give me the support I need, I could remove it, plug the holes,and then I might then have enough room to use the Mustang backrest.