Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Power to Ignition Switch

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:34 AM
81fxb
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery Power to Ignition Switch

Okay...I hope you can help me help a friend. He has an '85 FLHTC. A couple weekends ago he was warming it up. He turned it off to run in the house, and when he came back out to leave, the bike was dead, no matter what position the ignition switch was in.
What I've done so far:
Checked battery - it's good.
Have battery power at the starter solenoid and the circuit breaker next to it.
Removed ignition switch (which reminded my why I'm glad I have a lowrider),because we had been figuring that was the problem from the start.
At firstthere wasbattery power at the ignition switch (to be continued below) which further convinced me we were chasing a bad switch.
Disconnected the wires and ohm'd out each circuit in the ignition switch and they all read the way they were supposed to (oops, maybe it isn't the switch).
Rechecked for battery voltage on the wire feeding the switch and had none, so I switched to ohmmeter and it read 13.3Mohms.
After reconnecting the wires to the switch, I jumped a wire from the battery to the battery terminal on the switch and the bike came alive.
This morning I'm looking over the schematic to see if there is a relay or breaker in the line coming from the main circuit breaker and there is a break, but I don't know what the symbol means. It looks like this:

To cut to the chase, is that supposed to be a direct wire (0-ish ohms) or am I reading through a relay or breaker?

If there is a switch or relay can someone tell me where it is?

If it's supposed to be direct wired, I'm just going to run a new wire, but if there is arelay or breaker, I'll try that first of course.

oops, I should have put this in the electrical section, but can't figure out how to move it.

Thanks,
Garry

Old 04-24-2008, 02:36 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Battery Power to Ignition Switch

Looks ta me like a resettable fuse/breaker of some sort....if ya know a rating, you could install a new circuit with either an inline fuse or breaker....

Old 04-24-2008, 02:55 PM
Twisted Humor
Road Master

If you have 13.3 Mohms (Meg Ohms), then that is extreemly high. I would trace from that area.

I don't know about that specfic bike, but there is a main fuse that feeds smaller fuses in the fuse box area.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:36 PM
81fxb
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

Looks ta me like a resettable fuse/breaker of some sort....if ya know a rating, you could install a new circuit with either an inline fuse or breaker....
That's what I'm leaning towards - unless I get lucky enough that someone can tell me there's a relay or breaker (and where it's at). I can get to both ends of the wire, but it quickly disappears into the bodywork and Ireally don't want to pull off any more bodywork than I already have if I don't have to.
Thanks

Old 04-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Gunsmoke
Intermediate

I had a very similar problem on a 06 ultra turned out to be the main maxifuse you might want to check that out

Old 08-06-2008, 05:16 PM
wkdavistx
Tourer

Originally Posted by 81fxb
That's what I'm leaning towards - unless I get lucky enough that someone can tell me there's a relay or breaker (and where it's at). I can get to both ends of the wire, but it quickly disappears into the bodywork and Ireally don't want to pull off any more bodywork than I already have if I don't have to.
Thanks
Did you ever get this worked out?