Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm installing fog lights, accessory switch?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008 | 09:14 PM
dietdewboy
|
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I'm installing fog lights, accessory switch?

I picked up a set of fog lights from my RK, I was hoping to wire them into one of the accessory switches in the back side if the steering head. has anyone done this? if so how? what about the switch that comes already on the fog light wiring harness?

Old 04-23-2008 | 10:24 PM
lainsauto
Intermediate
Default RE: I'm installing fog lights, accessory switch?

I cut the switch out of the kit and if I remember correctly ran the white wire to the red wire on the accessory switch that gets hot with switch on and tied the black to ground on the lighter ground wire. '07 Street Glide...good luck!!!

Old 04-24-2008 | 04:47 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts

You may wish to put in a relay that you can buy at the local auto store. The relay low amp draw side goes from any 12+ V switchable side (you can put on a low amp/current switch) & to ground (2 wires). The high side goes from your (should run a fuse first) battery than through the high amp side of the relay to your lights. This does two important things, 1) does not overload your existing wiring thus making sure all existing components still get the current amperage it does now 2) Make a separate new circuit with a fuse & is controlled with a very low amperage switch to trigger it. Problems or questions, you can call me toll free for help. I sell nothing of what you need so it is for information needs only. I guess my 4 years in college to get my EE degree will be put to more use than hooking up stereos in the house.

[IMG]local://upfiles/29413/DD63C622C28D4C6FAC83B1AA66B84128.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-25-2008 | 11:43 AM
hfatboyd
Novice

The fog light kit should have already come with a wired relay. If your switches are like the ones on my SG (which they should be) I used the grey/black wire on the switch to go to the white switch wire on the relay pack (should be the one wired to the wired switch that came with the kit).

The power needs to be a constant 12v source. There is a plug under the seat (grey) that the fog light kit plugs into for this 12v source. I opted to go with installing the relay pack and wires in my front fairing. You can go ahead and wire the 12v constant under the seat, but if you would rather keep everything up front you can tap into the all red wire that goes to your ignition key switch. It uses the same power source and is fused at the same location as the wire under the seat.

Old 04-25-2008 | 12:12 PM
hdmunro
Advanced

if its the streetglide you have,
look under the seat, find the 4 pin deutch connector,
piggy back your power off of the orange wire (hot when ignition and acc switch are turned on)
then make sure you have a good ground (the lights you put on will probably ground themselves
on installation)...and there you go....its already a fused circuit, and thats why its there, don't need
a relay, or anything else....

Bill

Old 04-25-2008 | 02:27 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Here's how I did mine. I bought the fog lights at Rolling Thunder sale in D.C. for less than 50$ new. One had a little scratch on the top inside. (Not visible once installed) Then I had the local HD Dealership install them for $28. Used the switch behind the steering head. Did it seven years ago and they still work great. Total investment $78. And they did it while I was out front wasting $$ on stupid T-Shirts.[8D] CCRyder

Old 04-25-2008 | 02:36 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Awwww be a man! Put your key in, turn to the left, push the little button underneath and just toss all those parts that pop out into the trash.Then you can do it the right way.

[sm=ummmmokay.gif]

Old 04-25-2008 | 02:38 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

By the way they are called passing lamps.[sm=signs003.gif]

Old 04-25-2008 | 02:58 PM
dietdewboy
|
Tourer

I messed around with it last night and found the Grey wire on the right switch was the "switched power. I ran my white wire to it which feeds the relay. I don't know if it works yet. too many beers to finish the job...lol [sm=icon_guiness.gif]

Old 04-25-2008 | 03:28 PM
cooper57M
Tourer

i was thinking of puting the HD foglights on the street glide too. in reading the 08 electrical manual the front signal lights have unused 4th wiring socket that is used for the aux lights in the ultra classics. i believe the foglights is a one wire light and the body of the light is used as ground (correct me if i'm wrong). I was thinking of getting the aux light switch for the front panel that is used on the ultra classic that plugs into the stock harness so there would be no splicing or dicing needed. has anyone done this on their SG?

Quick Reply: I'm installing fog lights, accessory switch?