Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chain tensioner & cams help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 03:07 PM
nightglide
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Chain tensioner & cams help

Chain tensioner & cams
It’s time to change the chain tensioner and I thought while we are in there lets changed the cams as well.

Few questions. The shop I was talking to gave me 3 options.

1. TC2-2D cams (parts and labor around $1230.00)
2. Twin cams TC-T cams (parts and labor around $1150.00)
3. Gear drive cams… TC-G2 cams S&S gear drv set (parts and labor around $1220.00)

So not having much of an idea of which way to go I thought I would see what everyone else thought. The shop was not really recommending the gear driven cams. Says they were a bit more noisy and would not last as long or something to that fact.
The 1st option was suppose to come with cam support plate and new oil pump and new hydraulic tensioners and the other 2 with out the pump and support plate.

Deal or not?

Old 04-23-2008, 03:21 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Chain tensioner & cams help

Hey what do I know? I was told that the chains went out after 25K so I went with S&S 510's at around 15K and now have 47K. I don't notice any noise. But then I have Thunderheaders! LOL As for cost:Changed out in about 1 hour for a total cost of just under $600 in 2006. Runs strong! Oh and included in the 6 bills were SE push rods and I don't remeber the lifters, I'd need to pull my paperwork. I bought the cam set on Ebay and had a custom shop do the work.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:24 PM
nightglide
Road Master

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

Hey what do I know? I was told that the chains went out after 25K so I went with S&S 510's at around 15K and now have 47K. I don't notice any noise. But then I have Thunderheaders! LOL As for cost:Changed out in about 1 hour for a total cost of just under $600 in 2006. Runs strong!
wow they have down about 5 hours labor to install

Old 04-23-2008, 03:29 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: nightglide

Hey what do I know? I was told that the chains went out after 25K so I went with S&S 510's at around 15K and now have 47K. I don't notice any noise. But then I have Thunderheaders! LOL As for cost:Changed out in about 1 hour for a total cost of just under $600 in 2006. Runs strong!
510's don't require pulling the heads. It's pretty simple. Maybe they're including the Dyno and tuning? Anyway just know what I did. More knowlegable guys here will be chiming in soon. I like the S&S510's but they don't seem to have the appeal on this board. They give me the performance I wanted and I'm very happy.

Old 04-23-2008, 04:53 PM
Big Peter
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: nightglide

510's don't require pulling the heads. It's pretty simple. Maybe they're including the Dyno and tuning? Anyway just know what I did. More knowlegable guys here will be chiming in soon. I like the S&S510's but they don't seem to have the appeal on this board. They give me the performance I wanted and I'm very happy.
Absolutely +1 on the S&S 510's and gear drive.
No extra noise and no more worries about chain tensioners
and plastic crap in oilpump and filter.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:38 PM
nightglide
Road Master

what other options would I have with the 88? I see the 510s and the 570s talked about.

I am not looking for a WOW factor with a twist of the wrist, I am just looking for more power when 2 up or when towing.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:49 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, haven't seen you post in a while![]

Old 04-23-2008, 06:38 PM
aclass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andrews 26G's here, gear drive, cams, adj push rods, & gasketsoff Ebay for around <$700. I do notice more noise at idle but thats it. All in all, very happy camper.

good luck

Old 04-23-2008, 07:01 PM
nightglide
Road Master

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic

Wow, haven't seen you post in a while![]
work, work, work.... then I just got a break. had shoulder surg 2 months ago and still off workso thought I have time to catch up. and find out about new cams and see if the shop is tryn to take my $$$

Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 PM
wrustywrench
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the 37 g cams, feuling oil pump, feuling cam plate, lifters, pushrods, and gear drive set and all bearings with new push rod tunes for 1260 off fle bay, american classic cycles.

I have all the tools, ,too bad you aint closer. we could do teh swap in a loing day working slow.

where you at???

Quick Reply: Chain tensioner & cams help