Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 04:22 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 08 Ultra

The '08 is significantly higher than earlier years.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:11 PM
CasperHD
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: singlepin

Welcome to the board. I have an 07 Ultra.
There are several ways to lower the back end. I put a lowering kit from TWR on e-bay. Lowered it 1 inch. Other have used shorter shocks. I also had Mean City Cycles lower my seat 1 1/2 inches. Great guy to work with and a good job. He is a site sponsor. I have a 30" inseam and with the wife on, I am flat footed. I'm sure others will jump in with other ideas. This is a great place for info.
How did Mean City lower your seat? And don't tell methey cutthe foam down... what I mean to ask is did it just lower straight down and stay as wide? Or did they cut a little off the inner thigh area as well, in order to let your legs get closer together to give you a bit more reach?

I can flat foot my '08 Ultra, but walking it backwards is a bit of a challenge. I don't want a lowering kit, but the shorter shock idea may be good.

With shorter shocks and a lower seat, I should be good to go. But I want to know how you like the seat now. Worth it?

And still comfy with enough pad left for your backside?

Old 04-23-2008, 06:21 PM
bike_r_trash
Banned
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I just went through this trying to decide between a street glide and an EG Classic. You can put the SG shocks on the EG and Ultra to lower it about an inch, and you can improve your ability to plant your feet with the reach seat. My inseam is about 27 (5-6 tall) and with the reach seat I was quite comfortable on the EGC, but I went the the SG based on looks. The reach seat didn't help me on the SG since that has a lower seat anyway.

However, to add to all of this - I'm still waiting for my bike - so last weekend I demoed an Ultra (will be my next HD, say 10 years from now) and I was surprised that I felt comfortable on the stock seat in terms of reaching the ground - figure I could flat-foot with my right foot on the brake and only the left foot down. If I put both down, I could get about 1/2 my foot on each side.

good luck