Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

milky residue inside RKC headlamp lens?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 02:08 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default milky residue inside RKC headlamp lens?

Just wondering if anyone ever saw this before. I'll post pics when I can, but after cleaning up the new-to-me 2003 RKC, the one main thing I notice that is odd, is the inside of the headlight lens.

It has a milky/smoked pattern on the inside of the glass. I looked at a manual somewhere it showed how the bulb comes out, but it doesn't look like the bulb enclosure comes apart, it looks like you just remove the bulb itself from the enclosure to change the bulb.

I don't know what the pattern is, it reminds me of when I run my gas log fireplace where the residue builds up on the inside of the glass, which has to be removed and cleaned every so often... Like maybe a bulb blew in there one time, or condensation somehow got in there one time and left a trail as it evaporated?

Like I said, I'll post pics when I can, but thought I'd ask off the top of anyone's head, if they had seen this before, or if it was easy to remove the glass lens off the RKC (03 model), or if that's a sealed bulb enclosure that you can't get into. For what it's worth, the two side lamps are crystal clear, it's just the headlamp w/ the issue... Thanks.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:27 PM
DoubleD07
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: milky residue inside RKC headlamp lens?

I have the same thing on my 06 RKC. Have never tried to clean it out. Looks like it would be tough to do though.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:29 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope you do not have a friend that is real fond of your headlamp...

Old 04-23-2008, 02:47 PM
karz10
Road Master

Damn russ, that's just messed up. Hey wait a minute, you're in Mattews? Maybe it's you[:'(]

Old 04-23-2008, 02:48 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't have a RKC, but an EG UC -- and had the same situation. It looked like the inside of the windows in the smoker's lounge at the airport! No explanation from the HD dealers, so I just took off the lens, pulled out the bulb (great time to upgrade to the brilliant white bulb) and cleaned out the inside of the lens -- and lens mirrors. Careful not to scratch them! Then I put everything back together -- and viola! Great light and clear lens again...

Old 04-23-2008, 02:57 PM
karz10
Road Master

tphillips, so does the lens cover easily remove from the bulb housing, or do you have to go through the small (assuming) hole for the bulb in the back, and just try to clean it from that hole in the back?

If I try to take it apart, would like to know what I'm getting into to be prepared, etc.

If you have standard (at the time of make, like my '03) bulbs in the side lamps, how would a different (brilliant white) bulb look in the headlamp, or did you upgrade all three?

Also, where did you get your replacement bulb, just curious...

Old 04-23-2008, 07:50 PM
granddad
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took the bulb out, put a clean cotton cloth inside, and used a plastic brush handle to move the cloth around. Did a good job and the milky film is gone. Looks much better.