Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy Stand Mysteries

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008 | 12:32 AM
edtexas
Cruiser
Default RE: Jiffy Stand Mysteries

I believe that there are aftermarket manufacturers for kickstands. Check Drag Specialties and Custom Chrome, Dennis Kirk.
If you lower your rear and/or front end, remember to add a kickstand wedge which changes the lean angle to accomodate for the drop.

Old 04-24-2008 | 02:13 PM
patskav
5th Gear

NO, NO, NO !

I'm not talking about the Wheel Dock front-wheel docking product. Wheel Dock manufactures a bolt-on center stand, that 'kicks down' exactly as is standard on most rice burners.

These center stands can be 'set' while still astride the bike, by simply pressing down on the bar (which extends out from the left), and pulling ever so slightly backwards on the bike. It literally 'hops up' on the center stand, and provides a VERY stable platform.

Check out ...

www.wheeldock.com

It's called the 'easy up center stand'. Here's a pic;

http://www.wheeldock.com/prod_EZ_UP_Quick_Video.asp

Yes, the original 'Wheel Dock' product, into which you drive your front wheel, WOULD be rediculous for carrying around.

Rivco also makes a center stand product. Just Google 'harley davidson center stand'. If you haven't used one before, you'd be amazed at how sturdy and easy they are.

/Pat K.

Old 04-24-2008 | 02:22 PM
patskav
5th Gear

ORIGINAL: Wecroft

He's talking about the "Jiffy Stand", that's the "Kickstand" in Harleyeese. Wheel Dock may be good in the garage but carrying it around for every time you stop would be ridiculous.
Yes, thanks, I think we're all familiar with Jiffy Stand being 'Harley-ese' for a kickstand.

Old 04-24-2008 | 07:58 PM
Hoffy
Road Master

Bertk, what keeps the leg stop from spinning on thr shaft its bolt too. Is is spline, keyed, or ? I wonder if the weight of the bike and wear can cause looseness where the the leg stop meshes with the jiffy stand shaft?

Old 04-24-2008 | 08:22 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: patskav
............before I spent money on that junky 'jiffy stand'.

Just a thought ...

/Pat K.
junky 'jiffy stand'???? I've never seen one break, have you? It's the best side stand ever built.

Old 04-24-2008 | 08:29 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Hoffy

Bertk, what keeps the leg stop from spinning on thr shaft its bolt too. Is is spline, keyed, or ? I wonder if the weight of the bike and wear can cause looseness where the the leg stop meshes with the jiffy stand shaft?
Good question. The hole in the leg stop is square, as shown in the photo below. If the bolt holding the leg stop is tight, then there should be no wear betweenthe jiffy stand shaft and the leg stop. It's worth inspecting thou.

[IMG]local://upfiles/54654/9CCCE48C2F7B47359137E7A4608663F2.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-24-2008 | 08:30 PM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member

That JUNKY Jiffy stand will let you park with the front headed downhill too. Try that with the roll of center stand. Sounds like a case of rice burned relapse.

Old 04-24-2008 | 08:41 PM
BillinNY
Tourer

ORIGINAL: patskav

These center stands can be 'set' while still astride the bike, by simply pressing down on the bar (which extends out from the left), and pulling ever so slightly backwards on the bike. It literally 'hops up' on the center stand, and provides a VERY stable platform.

/Pat K.

The Wheeldock center stand was my first aftermarket accessory. Mine takes a little more umph than pulling ever so slightly, but I still love.

-Bill-

Old 04-24-2008 | 08:48 PM
capt775
Road Master

I gotta admit, I was like, "what tha", when I first got my Ultra, about the way the stand set back.

Heck I even have the habbit now of looking down after I get off to check the lock and make sure it's in the groove. But, that being said, if you kick it full forward, and lean her over, she locks everytime.

It is getting a little old though, having people yell "Whoa", and grabbing the bars thinking it's going over. Then you gotta splain, don't worry its locked. No it ain't man. Yeah, it is see look here.

Old 04-25-2008 | 08:41 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: capt775

Heck I even have the habbit now of looking down after I get off to check the lock and make sure it's in the groove.
Me too. On my last bike (05 RK Custom) if you kicked the stand to hard (same as I have always done)it would pop back up. Then you know what happens... [:@]

Quick Reply: Jiffy Stand Mysteries