Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Patellar Tendon Tear

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 09:16 AM
51Moe
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Patellar Tendon Tear

Anyone ever have a Patellar tendon tear??? If so what was the recovery time and the most important question is...How soon can I get back on my bike?

This happened last night while playing basketball (exercise is over-rated)... ER Doc says I will more than likely need surgery, I need to get with a Orthropedic Surgeon ASAP. I need to be at least 65% by May 14...Bike Week.

This doesn't look good guys.

Moe

Old 04-22-2008, 09:34 AM
HDNY1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Patellar Tendon Tear

Moe, i'm no doc but i think your looking at a fair amount of time on the DL. i don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but the patellar tendon holds your quad muscles to your lower leg, it's pretty substantial tendon. if it tore completely your quad muscles could roll up like a window shade. if it's a partial tear, it will be a little quicker but anytime you stick your foot out staright your stressing that muscle group. i would think if you had to put a foot down quickly you could really damamge it, not to mention you will likely be in a mobile cast for a bit as well to make sure you don't use it. for your sake i hope it works out well for you, but i think bike week is a little wishful thinking depending on how bad the tear is. just curious how you did it?

Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I'd google it, bet you can find a ton of info on the web. They might even have a Pateller Tendor forum.

Good luck!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:36 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Buddy of mine had that done, it's my only experience with it. He was out of commission for about eight weeks before he could even put weight on it, something about disconnecting, then reattaching the tendon. Doc told him if he pushed it he could rip the tendon loose. Now, I'm no doctor, but have a lot of experience with pain, I'm guessing tearing a tendon from it's mounting hurts, but then again, I know tearing a tendon hurts like hell, so I do sympathize with ya. I hope you get better news from your doctor, something like, "You don't need surgery, rest it up and you should be fine for your ride". My hopes are with ya!

Old 04-22-2008, 09:37 AM
kyote
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Don't have a Patellar tear.. but I do have an Anterior Cruciate Ligament torn.. happened waaaaay back in 1975 when they couldn't fix things as easily as they do today.. ( was a motorcycle related injury.. ) at least Military doctors didn't have the expertise then.. Mine was a problem with holding up my bike.. since the ligament keeps the knee from going side to side too much..took awhile for it to heal up enough for me to ride.. had to take PT to strengthen up the muscles to compensate for the torn ligament.. just be sure you take it easy till it heals..re-aggravating it will make it take longer to eventually heal... ( don't ask me how I know.. )

Old 04-22-2008, 09:39 AM
johnnyspeed
Cruiser

That dose not sound like any fun,
hope you have a speedy recovery.

Old 04-22-2008, 10:15 AM
51Moe
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: HDNY1

Moe, i'm no doc but i think your looking at a fair amount of time on the DL. i don't want to sound like a know-it-all, but the patellar tendon holds your quad muscles to your lower leg, it's pretty substantial tendon. if it tore completely your quad muscles could roll up like a window shade. if it's a partial tear, it will be a little quicker but anytime you stick your foot out staright your stressing that muscle group. i would think if you had to put a foot down quickly you could really damamge it, not to mention you will likely be in a mobile cast for a bit as well to make sure you don't use it. for your sake i hope it works out well for you, but i think bike week is a little wishful thinking depending on how bad the tear is. just curious how you did it?
Hopefully the Doc will have better news...I have an appointment scheduled for Thursday. I dont have a problem putting weight on it right now and my quads seem to be functioning fine. The problem is from the knee down I cant move it on its own. I can move my ankle and everything, but I cant from a sitting position lift my leg...like I couldn't kick you if I wanted to. You can see the thigh/quad muscles working to move the lower part, but there is no connection.

Thinking about riding...like we all do in times like this, I would have to literaly pick my leg up and put it on the floorboard, I could move it off but can't put it back on. I'm thinking with the correct brace it may be possible.

But, I will have to see what the Doc says...even if I cant ride I think I'll still make the trip [:@].

HDNY1...I was driving to the basket faked to the right and when I went to elevate off of the left the leg it just came out from under me...Not sure if I slipped on possibly a wet floor or if it was just the weight transfer in the wrong direction. Initially I though it was dislocated as when I felt for my knee capwhile laying on the floor I couldnt find it, ithad moved up like 3-4 inches. I was helped off of the court and kept weight off of it and elevated it for 20-30 mins, stood up and could stand the weight. Walked into the locker room changed and went home, couldnt stand the pain and went to the ER.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:04 AM
bezoar
Tourer

Hey, Moe! I'm a Physician Assistant with 20 years Orthopaedic experience. The answer depends on the extent of the tear; the co-morbid damage to other structures and the treatment, eg :surgery vs. conservative cast/splinting. Not an easy question to answer on the face of it. I'd check with your Orthopaedist for that answer. What's that? You didn't see and Orthopaedist? Hmmmmmmmm.

[IMG]local://upfiles/38807/2C8CF8E9A35F4370AF2707483CF69A4F.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-22-2008, 11:18 AM
pled55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what did you say about your knee? sorry was looking at you pic .
can't tell ya much about the patellar tear. but i had a total knee replacement
less than a year ago and was only down 8 wks .so if thats any indication
but like the other post say's it depends on how much damage there is .
and what precedure they decide to use to fix it . good luck.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:19 AM
vtwinbmx
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

51MOE I tore my ACL and MCL. Surgery plus rehab will take 3-4 months. See if they will perscribe you a CTI2knee brace. I used one for about6 months before Ihad mine fixed.

Quick Reply: Patellar Tendon Tear