Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A bad situation made better...

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:43 PM
Blues Guy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A bad situation made better...

My buddy that I sold my '05 Road King to was jabbing a bit when he asked me why my '07 Classic decided to leave me stranded today. Thought you might enjoy the response:
The technical answer is a misfiring engine followed by a check engine light, the presence of which affords only the opportunity to "Immediately contact the dealer" - who happens to be closed on Mondays.....
Maybe it's my 54 years, or perhaps it's the positive influence of certain friends but I prefer a more serendipitous explanation. I had only been stopped for about 2 minutes when a gentleman offered the use of his cell phone (Homer, LA is dead, dead, dead for Cingular) and when it didn't work he was in the process of getting his vehicle to transport me to a spot where I could communicate. Before he get get back an older resident of Homer pulled up and offered his phone, then a trip to where he knew phones would work and if that was unsuccessful he said "I've got a trailer I use for my 'Zuki and I'll take you to Camden, AR."
He took me to a transmission point where I arranged for my local manager who had a trailer to pick up the bike, notified my Queen of my delay, and then waited. My good Samaritan then announced that since we had ample time, we'd just go to his house and I could see his bike. We drove to a tiny house situated on a large country lot, teeming with cats and dogs. He proudly showed his 'Zuki which was adorned with an airbrushed tribute to his son, a deputy sheriff in Texas. He was killed in a head-on collision by a drunk driver traveling at 110 mph while pleasure riding on his Harley Heritage. Mr. Petit produced photographs of his son with his two kids as well as one of the crash - the front wheel of the bike was pushed against the lead cylinder and it was perpendicular to the axis. But Mr. Petit was not bitter, didn't dwell on all the negatives (he'd just lost his wife to cancer) but took great pride in showing and discussing all of the finer points of his 'Zuki. He averages 1000 miles per month, seldom opts for 4-wheel transportation and seems happy. We talked for about an hour and then returned to load the bike.
Assuming at some point that the Classic is repaired, I'm going to make my way back to share some more stories and maybe a ride. Being stranded on the highway - especially on a bike - is inconvenient. Being lonely is a tragedy.
Without getting all Readers Digest, I was given the opportunity to experience folks eagerly willing to help and a little man that was a treat. All in all, not a bad afternoon.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:52 PM
jamesrgarner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: A bad situation made better...

Hey man - that's a great story. I live in Monroe and travel that way from time to time. Send me the info and I'll stop by for a visit. Hanging with old guys is something most of us don't do nearly enough. I'm sure your day was blessed by your time with him.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 PM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like those old guys. If we're lucky we'll get to be one sooner or later.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:59 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Thanks for sharingsuch aheartwarming experience.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:18 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm glad this world still has Mr. Petit. Can't we send him something for helping out?

Old 04-21-2008, 10:20 PM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You see too many young fools but not often you see an old fool. Folks like that are often the highlight of the day and the more time spent on the road, the more you meet. I always try to pay attention to 'old folks', they been where I'm goin'... Sounds like you had an outstanding day, thanks for sharing it; it's what I needed to hear today.