Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road king classic or elect. glide?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 11:51 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 78 Likes on 33 Posts
Default RE: road king classic or elect. glide?

Well...I would like to add one thing. I think that the RKC is by far one of the best looking bikes in the HD lineup. I've ridden many Road King's and I like them a lot. However you are considering 2 up riding and from what I read your wife is a big part of this decision. That is why I'm in favor of the Ultra. For the long road ahead, it will be more comfortable for both of you. Trust me on this you will not regret choosing an Ultra. I too had concerns about not being able to remove the fairing, which was the biggest reason I was more in favor of the RKC at the time. After a short while, not being able to remove my windscreen didn't matter to me anymore. There are several different sizes for windscreens and I own 3. I can change out the windscreen in less than 5 minutes. So if I want full protection, I use the stock height windscreen. Want lots of air in the face? Then I use the lowest windscreen. For most everyday use I go with the medium height. Works great for me. Also once you get in the habit of locking up your jacket, helmet and gloves in your locking, hard luggage, you'll wonder how you managed for so long without them. I admit I have become spoiled on the Ultra. I can cruise the freeway at 80 mph all day without any drama or feeling worn out when I arrive at my destination. Also, it is by far the most comfortable bike HD makes. After a full day of riding, most of my friends are sore from riding. Me? I usually feel great. Like I could go keep on going. I als noticed that I tend to drive faster than most of my friends who are not on Ultra's. Not that they can't keep up, but there is much more wind force on their bodies which makes it harder to ride at higher speeds. When I want more air, I just open up my adjustable air deflectors (Freedom Wings). It's like having air conditioning for my armpits. Again, the Ultra offers you more flexibility than any of the other bikes. They are all great bikes, but the Ultra would be better for what you're wanting to do, IMO.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:43 AM
classic cruiser
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love My Electra Glide Classic, you can strip it down for local riding or put the tour pack on for the trips. I guess I am a big fan of having a radio, wouldn't trade it for anything else.

Old 02-16-2006, 12:44 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

GUESS?

Old 02-16-2006, 12:45 AM
vharrig
Cruiser

They are basically the same bike, yet the EG has more add on's. I love my RK and I have owned to EG before, for me personally, I would choose the Road King, if comfort for the passenger is an issue, you can always change out the seat to appeal to them. That is what I did for the wife and now she's happy riding on the back.
Go to the dealer and check them both out and see/feel which one is for you.

Old 02-16-2006, 05:52 PM
KingTom05
Intermediate

I traded in my 2005 Road King Classic for a 2006 Ultra and love it. It may be very similar, but the Ultra ride cannot be beat.
The 05 had all the quick detachables to make the Road King different depending on what kind of ride for the day ect..., but with the Ultra it is just me, as I say.

Old 02-16-2006, 07:07 PM
dhutchison
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EGC or Ultra. I have both, but for the long trips, I'm always on the Ultra.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:13 PM
spartns
Road Master

Tough choice. My wife also was a factor in picking the RKC. She didn't like the looks of the fairing, wanted the more classic look. I agree. With the Sundowner seat we ride all day with no problems. I would never have a bike without cruise now that I've had it. As for the tunes, my wife's jaw is only about 6" from my ear. I've got plenty to listen to. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2006, 10:32 PM
hdman
Road Captain

My Vote is for the Road Glide, its got a very smooth ride and VERY comfortable.... UGH... Wait a minute.. the Road Glide wasn't even on this ballot...... My bad........ hdman

Old 02-16-2006, 10:42 PM
DI75
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Street glide with detachable trunk with built in backrest,the best of both worlds!!!!

Old 02-16-2006, 11:02 PM
harleyguy2064
2nd Gear

How about getting the wife her own bike?My wife started riding 2 yrs ago and loves it . She started out on an 883 and has moved up to a low rider.We still pack everthing on my RKC so that keeps her bike lighter.She did take a rider safety and education course which really boosted her confidece.My 2cs.

Quick Reply: road king classic or elect. glide?