Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SERT tech question ??

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 02:16 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SERT tech question ??

Ok, all you tech savy wrenches,I got aI had a pcIII on my scoot and changed over to a sert, mostly because the closest shop with a dyno only dealt with the sert. When they "supposedly" did the tuneing, They did not remove the o2 bypass that the pcIII uses, and left the o2 sensors unplugged. From what I know the sert is an interface between the tuneing computer and the ecm on the scoot, and said ecm uses input from the o2's to do it's job better. I know the sert doesn't use the o2 blockers that the pcIII uses.My question is how can you dyno tune a scoot with the o2's unplugged? Wouldn't that give you a false reading?
The bike is going back to the shop that done the work so they can "take another whack at it". I would like to have some informed info before I go back and show my stupidity.

Thanks in advance people.

Old 04-21-2008, 02:22 PM
Rider57
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: SERT tech question ??

Doing a dyno run without the sniffer is worthless. Any tech worth his money (fee) know this.
It tells you if you are correct in your adjusted settings in the map.

Old 04-21-2008, 03:43 PM
thatguy
Tourer

Well one thing is for sure, the SERT values have not been adjusted for closed loop operation. Hard to say without seeing the altered map; the tuner might have put values in there that always keep it in open loop. I would put them back in and take it back.

Old 04-21-2008, 04:49 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I had a PCIII removed and a SERT tune done recently. They did a base run with the PCIII and then they hooked the O2 sensors up and tunes it with the SERT.

I do know that there is an adjustment they make that can override the O2 sensors . . . I'm no expert. That's why I took it in for a dyno tune.
Steve

Old 04-21-2008, 08:31 PM
DanB
Tourer

Obviously gonna be a dumb question...but why remove the PCIII and go with a Sert...don't they both do the same thing..only SERT is Harley's toy????

I have a PC III on my bike. Why would I want to change to a SERT??

Really...i'd like to know. Sure my 110 runs hot..but I was told the SERT will not reduce the temp anymore than the PCIII. Fuel is the only answer...and even then the heat is on...

DanB

Old 04-21-2008, 11:14 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sert uses an adapter to communicate with and directly change the ECM internal mapping.
When done the adapter comes off so nothing left on the bike.
One less physical item to fail and one less item drawing power.

Now for the O.P.
Who did the installation and tune if you don't mind sharing so others may be forewarned
Not to notuse them, but to beware and to know what to expect.

When you bought the SERT it came with an on disk manual.
READ it and learn how it works!!

Old 04-22-2008, 12:05 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: DanB

Obviously gonna be a dumb question...but why remove the PCIII and go with a Sert...don't they both do the same thing..only SERT is Harley's toy????

I have a PC III on my bike. Why would I want to change to a SERT??

Really...i'd like to know. Sure my 110 runs hot..but I was told the SERT will not reduce the temp anymore than the PCIII. Fuel is the only answer...and even then the heat is on...

DanB
Dan, that is a good question really.

My bike ran pretty good with the PCIII although I was concerned about the heat. It still ran too hot IMO.

I spoke with my dealer about it and they said I had two options. 1. Do a dyno tune with the PCIII or 2. do a SERT tune. The only way I was going to know for sure what was going on with my motor was to get a dyno tune. My dealer is Latus Motors in Portland, Oregon. They have one of the best dyno shops (and dyno techs, Mike) in the nation. I trust them.

The reason I removed the PCIII was because it is just one more part to go bad. And secondly, I'm not planning any future motor changes. And lastly, I don't want to have to tweak my PCIII to get it right. I want a "set it and forget it" system. That is the SERT IMO.

In the end We found out that the PCIII was still running lean and thus the heat. My bike runs much better now with a SERT and an AFR of around 13.5:1.

Hope this helps. In the end, it is a personal preference issue.

Steve

Old 04-22-2008, 12:42 AM
cdale976
Road Master

i have an 07 with sert airbox and rush slipons. Can;t say if they used o2 sensors for dyno run but the bike is aok and performing a bu7nch better....14/1 all the way through......a slight decel pop but i as them atribute that to the baffles and actually is not an issue. actually i believe the sensors were alive during the dyno and i can't think of a reason they shoudn't be.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:22 AM
DanB
Tourer

Thanks for the replies. At this point in time I'm gonna just gonna leave it is as is...the PCIII seems to be working. No running issues.

DanB

Old 04-22-2008, 06:46 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

DanB, I changed out the pcIII for the sert because the nearest shop with a dyno only deals with a sert and they are only 15 miles from my house.The next nearest dyno is 95 miles away.
Thanks for the replys guys, I was thinking they just threw a canned map at it and let it go. WhenI take it back, I'm going to insist thatI watch what they are doing. I'm going to give the benifit of doubt to them for an honest mistake, heck, I've made a few myself. ( married twice )
I'll let you guys know what the true numbers turn out to be.

Quick Reply: SERT tech question ??