Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrogen in tires

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 09:53 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: nitrogen in tires

Ya'll do as ya will. Bear in mind that in my li'l workshop is 2 drill presses (floor an' bench), 1 vertical band saw (wood), 1 horizonal band saw (steel), 1 cabinet saw, 2 mig welders (110 & 220 vac), 1 stick welder, 1 oxacetylene rig, 1 table lift, 2 air compressors....an' more tools than most have. NONE of it is cheap stock - most of the power stuff is from Jet, Lincoln, Esab, etc. - so I don't mind spending money if/when needed.

That said, I wouldn't go 500 feet to get nitrogen in my tires - period. Just see no *real* need.

Draggin' Baggers wuz one of them companies that snuck into this forum by settin' up a deal with another forum member whar he'd git "bennies" from every forum member that bought. When the kits they hawked (for lowerin' bikes w/air shocks) started damaging the bikes, they skedaddled quicker'n a Boone & Crockett buck on openin' day!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:18 PM
CoyoteJoe
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When the kids and I played paintball, you could get CO2 or nitrogen to charge the tanks, and nitro was better cause it didn't freeze up in rapid fire (we had some wicked paintball guns). I talked to the fillers, and discovered they made they own nitrogen with an air compressor and a really good water vapor trap that took all the moisture out. I wonder what your getting for the seven bucks, and I can't see a little water vapor and impurities (oxygen, hydrogen, etc) making a difference. Just my two cents...

Old 04-21-2008, 11:24 PM
jdtest
Cruiser

Just put air in it. At work I have an endless supply of nitrogen, but it much quicker and more convinient to check put air in it everytime you fill up with gas.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:30 PM
mbmike
Advanced

ok everyone I want to add my 2 cents Nitrogen in tires is well worth it. I run a Mercedes Benz service center and yes I sell it for 39.95 and run specials for 9.95. But use it for one reason in my 2 bikes 03 fatboy, 06 street glide living in Phoenix Az. the road temp can exceed 140deg with air the air preasure with heat can exspand that tire 5 to 8 lbs, with Nitrogen temp doesn't effect the PSI, besides NASA, NASCAR, Toru de france boys put it in there tires. They have done it for the last 20 yrs, with a nitrogen generator cheaper made all tires should be filled with it. In a car inproves fuel economy, tires last longer due to air preasure more accurate longer, So all the who think its crap , well buy more tires more often. Hey one more thing does it improve the ride yes, a set of low profile tire with Nitrogen in the tires ride as smooth as full size tires , see the molecules are larger and absorbs more of the road cracks. and if you need to add air any time no problem doesnt hurt anything. Course those guys at Costco do it for free. damm costing me money

Old 04-21-2008, 11:31 PM
FLHXn
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

We have it at work, so I do it for free,, I wouldn't pay a dime for it though,, just fun to hook up the machine and watch it lower/raise and make some cool beeping noises! hehe.. It's supposed to be better! Yeah, ok.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:31 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 197 Likes on 135 Posts

if you want to run nitrogen in your tires make sure you get it at a harley dealership or you will void your warranty....

Old 04-22-2008, 05:10 AM
kry226
Advanced

Its kind of funny this thread was posted nearly the same time mine was in the General forum. My 08 SG came from the dealer with metal caps on the valve stems with "N2" inscribed in blue on the tops of the caps.

https://www.hdforums.com/m_3243778/tm.htm