Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kaua'i Road King Rental

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Ken Baer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Kaua'i Road King Rental

The last Harley I owned was twenty-five years ago and it was a '78 XLCR. Since then I've nothing but metric bikes and my current ride is a 2005 Suzuki SV650.

On a recent trip to Kaua'i I rented a 2007 RK. Below is a copy ofmy email detailing the experience which I sent to a buddy who rides a '01 Fat Boy.

The subject line read, 770lbs of Muscle:

Lou,
I rented the 2007 Road King today (pic attached) and rode it 180 miles (6.5 hours) around the island of Kaua'i. I've never ridden one of these things, and actually my first choice would have been a Dyna, but the dealership only offered RK's, Soft Tails, and Sportsters. I was late getting there and had a full agenda so basically I just signed-up and took off. The first thing I noticed was a very pronounced vibration at idle. Very severe! The second thing I noticed was it's weight. On these things you don't come to a stop and rest one leg, you rest both legs. If you've ridden, or driven, on Kaua'i then you know that 35mph is your basic speed since two lane roads are the norm (zero freeways) so passing cars becomes a way to make time. Consequently, the third thing I noticed was how strong the throttle response was. This thing moved! The fourth thing I discoveredwas it had a six speed. Totally (high) geared, and a perfect match for, the freeways of California.
I rode the thing to the top of the island, had lunch, then headed south and around to hiway 552, then headed north to Wailea Canyon (Hawaii's Grand Canyon) where the road dead-ends at around 4000 feet elevation. The road leading to the top is fantastic. Curvy, fast, and dust pan clean from the nightly rain wash. I had the RK's throttle pinned the whole way up (no traffic) and we were flying! Coming down was even more fun as the steep decline made the bike feel three hundred pounds lighter. The mid-range acceleration was like a sport bike. Vivid. On one short straight I saw 95 mph on the speedo. Handling was great, considering it's heft. I was flicking it hard through the turns and the thing was rock steady ... even when hard on the brakes.
Anyhow, the point of the story is when I finally returned the thing to the dealership I had to ask what size the motor was. The guy looked at me funny and pointed to the air cleaner where it reads: '96 Cubic Inches'. Oh Wow, no wonder. Still, I have new respect!

Old 04-21-2008, 11:19 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Kaua'i Road King Rental

So? When are you joining the "dark side"?

Old 04-21-2008, 11:36 AM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Did the same thing in April 2007 in Kauai. I rented the Street Glide for 2 days and it was a blast. Did they still have that Denim blue one there? Ugly and what a pain that thing would have been to keep clean..... but riding in Kauai is about as good as it gets. Dig that store too, kinda like a surf shop with Harley's parked around it. Rode the whole island a few times and that's what really got me hooked on getting a touring bike. And also what made me get the RKC over the SG (sorry Sg owners)......... Forgot my damn pants [:@]

Old 04-21-2008, 12:01 PM
ronn39
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have been out to the islands twice recently; visiting daughter at Kaneohe. Went to big island on one trip and Maui the next time. Plan to do Kauai next trip. Had considered on last two trips of renting a Harley but it was pretty darn pricey. Was wondering what dealer you got it from and what they charged you.

I have an '02 RK, and yes... compared to my '04 1200 Sportster it vibrates a lot. But it's nice for touring.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:10 PM
Ken Baer
Cruiser

Yes, my SV650 is up for sale.

I did not see the Denim Blue SG so maybe it was rented. They do a nice rental business there. I showed up on a Tuesday morning and there were ten bikes to rent. Don't know how many bikes they have in the rental fleet but it must be 20+. They even offer Buells.

Ah, comfort. That was the thing about the RK. I ride my SV650 from Los Altos to Pismo Beach in the summer (220 miles)and even with a modified seat and Heli-bars I want off the thing in three hours. I was on the RK for six hours and the thing was a pleasure craft.

The other thing was the power. As I told another friend, I wish I could have come upon some sport-bikers on the ride down from Waimea Canyon. Just like when I road-raced a 1995 Mustang GT and would catch high-end Porsches, the drivers all doing double-takes in their mirrors. I referred to that as their MOD: Moment of Disbelief.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:13 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

Plan to do Kauai next trip. Had considered on last two trips of renting a Harley but it was pretty darn pricey. Was wondering what dealer you got it from and what they charged you.
Did the HOG fly and ride for just over $100 a day. Kept us out of the shops and enjoying the beaches and sunshine so I call it a push on the $$. There's only one Dealer on the island and I believe there may have been some other place offering rentals, not sure, but the guy who owns the H-D shop is cool. Rented it on aFri. morn and was supposed to be back Sun. mornand he told us to just bring it back Sunday afternoon. They were actually closed on Sunday, and he was out mountain biking and we ended up getting til 5pm Sunday (called me on my cell). He even took a pic for us on the bike and threw in a couple freebies (but it was our honeymoon)

Old 04-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Superglide 04
Tourer

Here's a early welcome too the H-D Touring Family.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:01 PM
Ken Baer
Cruiser

It was the HD dealership in Lihue, about ten minutes from the airport. I believe there is a separate rental company in Kapa'a. Total cost for me, including helmet rental, was around $175.00 for one day (8am to 5pm). No charge for miles ridden, but you pay for 92 Octane fuel and need to show proof (via reciept). Extended times are less. This is without a doubt the best way to see the island(s) and I will definitely do again next year. Still thinking about that ride since it was so much damn fun.

Old 04-21-2008, 05:34 PM
JonnyD
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Ken Baer

It was the HD dealership in Lihue, about ten minutes from the airport. I believe there is a separate rental company in Kapa'a. Total cost for me, including helmet rental, was around $175.00 for one day (8am to 5pm). No charge for miles ridden, but you pay for 92 Octane fuel and need to show proof (via reciept). Extended times are less. This is without a doubt the best way to see the island(s) and I will definitely do again next year. Still thinking about that ride since it was so much damn fun.
Ouch, $175 for a day [:@], it's the same dealership from my understanding, just a sattelite store by the port. They get em coming off the cruise ships..... When you use HOG fly and ride they supplied the helmet and no need for proof of Gas, that's crazy, and it's like$109+ or-a day(I can't remember) no matter how many days. I recommend doing what I did, and renting on Friday and return on Sunday. The owner had to approve this with HOGsince they are closed on Sunday, but it works out and he'll more than likely give you all day Sunday, instead of morning return.
And I say yes on the doing it again, great way to see Hawaii!

Old 04-21-2008, 05:53 PM
jakester
Tourer

Next time your in KAUAI.Find out if you take a time share tour (around 1 hour and NO pressure)see if they work with local rental company to get free HARLEY rental instead of dinner or boat trip ECT.I have done it twice but you have to check around.Stop at rental and ask if they work with time-shares.....ALSO ASK locals where to go ALOT of hidden back road that are GREAT rides!!!
Last time i was there we Picked up bike at Noon rode Till sunset..Got up early and rode then returned at noon..ISLAND is small you can get alot of riding in half day or so..JUST watch traffic jams..Those two lanes get packed!!!!! ALOHA!!!!!!!!

JAKESTER...TIM......

Quick Reply: Kaua'i Road King Rental