Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Swingarm/Transmission stabilizer issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 10:29 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Swingarm/Transmission stabilizer issue?

If you've been followin' the group buy thread you may know that I recently installed the TWR Missing Link Stabilizer. I posted the install & my impression of my first ride on another group, & a guy that's a pretty good wrench responded with what he feels is a problem with stabilizers that mount to the oil pan bolts. His issue isn't with any particular manufacturer, but with the concept of bolting a stabilizer to a casting that, to use his words, "is designed only to hold oil". He feels that the casting that all the stabilizers (TWR, RideSt8, & TruTrack) bolt to will be prone to catistrophic failure which could dump 4 quarts of hot oil in front of your rear tire.

I'm not sure I agree with him, & I've heard of at least one expert on the wobble problem that favors these types of stabilizers. However, I do respect the guy that brought up the question. What I'm gettin' to here is, has anyone had *any* problem with stabilizers that mount to the oil pan? Any cracks in castings? Any loose bolts? Any problems at all?

I don't plan to remove mine, but it's something I'll keep an eye on & would appreciate any feed back from anyone. Manufacturers, end users, engineers, anyone.

Thanks!

Old 04-21-2008, 10:36 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts
Default RE: Swingarm/Transmission stabilizer issue?

I had the same question.

As many of the 'wobble stoppers' distribute the added torque stress to the entire pan assembly - by bolting on at the front & back - The first thing I thought of when I saw the new 'side mount' stabilizer (the one that mounts on the outside of the swingarm bushing cover - can't recall the mfg), was that it only uses the rearward bolts of the pan to absorb all of the flex. Seems like it would be more prone to failure. As pressue will be greater since there is not as much 'surface' to distribute the torque to.

As fas as general stability for the other products - I would like to think that since the transmission was designed to (partially) carry the swingarm...they would not warrantas muchconcern.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:03 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Got 47K miles with the True-Tack and the only issue I've had is clearance. Not a big deal as I don't go off too many curbs and I put 3/4 plywood under the rear tire so my air lift jack doesn't care.

I have many friend that have had the True-Track on theirs for similar periods without any issue.

For sure I'm not suggesting True-Track; just saying I've never had any personal knowledge of anyone ever having an issue.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:42 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

Good information! I'd like to see more of the same from owners of the other manufacturers stabilizers.

Didn't someone here have some problem with the Sta-Bo system?

Old 04-21-2008, 12:52 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Jinks

Good information! I'd like to see more of the same from owners of the other manufacturers stabilizers.

Didn't someone here have some problem with the Sta-Bo system?
The dominant problems I've read related to the Sta-Bo system was increased vibration, which some of you guys are reporting even with the more expensive setups. I'm no fearmonger, but I'd also be interested in the potential compromise in integrity of the oil pan/stabilizer setups. Chances of failure seem slim to none or else you'd read/hear more about it when in reality I can't recall EVER reading about such a catastrophic failure...........but stranger things have happened.

Old 04-21-2008, 12:56 PM
YodaddyKeith
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's the biggest reason I like the latest design of the TWR....it mounts to rear tranny pan with SHORT bracket and bolts.....Provides Less lever arm advantage and less stress, and of course more ground clearance.

OOOOPS!...I guess I better go pay the guy for the group buy.....Thanks guys for setting up the group buy!.....330 shipped is a decent price.

Old 04-21-2008, 01:41 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic
<snip>
Chances of failure seem slim to none or else you'd read/hear more about it when in reality I can't recall EVER reading about such a catastrophic failure...........but stranger things have happened.
That's what I think, so I figured I'd throw the question to the masses & see if anyone has had or heard of any failures. There's a lot of information floatin' 'round the internet. Ya gotta filter it, but it's there.............

Old 04-21-2008, 02:09 PM
speedglide
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In my opinion, the system is meant to "stablilize", not be a supporting structure in the suspension system. In fact, I bet 99% of the time there is ZERO horizontal stress being put on the stabilizer link. The only times I see any stress being applied to the system is in the infrequent situations that induce a wobble, typically in long sweepers and hitting a bump. IF the product does it's job, it will prevent a wobble to begin with, preventing any massive side to side movement or stress on the pan.
There are too many killjoys and doomsdayers out there if ya ask me, trying to ruin our fun. AND I don't mean you Jinks, I know you are just expressing a concern. What is your opinion of the system Jinks? I just ordered on myself...

Just my .02 cents...

Old 04-21-2008, 02:28 PM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have Accu-Track. It has an L shaped mount for the link arm that goes on two edges of the tranny pan. The link arm attaches to a piece bolted to the frame dogbone, (like Tru-Track) that is also tied into a second piece that mounts on the right side of the frame. (like RideStr8)
The whole setup is pretty spartan, but it get's the job down. It's less money than the rest of 'em out there too.

http://www.purefnperformance.com/

CN

Old 04-21-2008, 02:36 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: speedglide

<snip>
There are too many killjoys and doomsdayers out there if ya ask me, trying to ruin our fun. AND I don't mean you Jinks, I know you are just expressing a concern. What is your opinion of the system Jinks? I just ordered on myself...

Just my .02 cents...
I'm not really even expressing a concern. I'm just lookin' for data. I watch a few things on the net, but I can't be everywhere so I figure throw it out & see what others have heard or experienced.

My opinion of the system? I'm impressed! I moved from a couple of FXR's to a K1200LT almost 6 years ago, & back to the Road Glide last year. Nothing has felt quite the same in all that time. The Road Glide was a lot better, but not quite right. The TWR has it feelin' like an FXR! A really big FXR, but you get the picture.........

Quick Reply: Swingarm/Transmission stabilizer issue?