Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wrenchers, I got Primary bolts problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 06:46 AM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default wrenchers, I got Primary bolts problem

You guys have read this one before, I did the searches.So I will get right to the point.

Not even the power driver would bring them loose. Yes, I have the right size, I have the entire sets. With my fingers crossed, I even took the bike for another 20 mile ride to get everything warmer. Nothing. I have used the driver for things like taking cases apart. I have never had a bolt I could not remove.

I did not strip any out, but I am not feeling comfortable hitting the driver any harder. This is ridiculous.

So my questions:
I know I am not going to take a full swing with a 5 lb sledge, but I feel like hitting it with any real force is putting me into the danger zone, what do you think? Is giving it a persuasive rap asking for trouble?

I read some incomplete threads on people suggesting heat, they said do it, but the threads died when someone asked about possible problems with chrome. I'm not going to take acutting torch to it, butheat from a small propane torch is still seriousheat. Don't respond to this question with what you think, only if you have done it.

I am definitely replacing these bolts, period. Oh, and one thing the engineers did right when writing the manual - the steps tell you to remove the bolts before draining. I wonder how many shops don't even open this up because they can't get them off???

Old 04-21-2008, 07:00 AM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: wrenchers, I got Primary bolts problem

If you are talking about the Derby cover, I had to give mine a pretty good rap to get a couple of them loose. and that was after I had cut a slot in them so I could use a large flat blade to take them out with. In my experience, lightly tapping the driver isn't going to get you any where. so go ahead and use a little force with just a torx bit, and if you strip it out, take a dremel and cut a slot in it and use a large flat blade with a manual impact driver. thats what worked for me.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:14 AM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain

Thanks Mathews.

You are right, a light tap will not crank the driver. I did give it the normal hit, but that is why I am now leery. Justnervous about whacking it any harder. I do have the penetration oil on them today.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:40 AM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Remember when you are tapping the driver you have to be twisting in the direction that you want the screw to turn. We recently had a customer ask us why he couldn't get a fastner loose with hsi. He wasn't torquing hard enough on the impact driver, so he wasn't shocking the fastener loose.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:43 AM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain

Yep, I know how to use it, thanks for making sure though. I've done dumber things.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:25 AM
Jumpman
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 28 Posts

I don't know that I have ever taken them off with a 'driver' and a torx bit.

I typically grab my 1/4" drive rachet and a torx socket. this gives quite a bit more leverage - and still allows for good 'feedback' so things don't start getting stripped.

The only issue I see is the varied definition of what a 'solid' hit is with a hammer. When trying to break a loc-tite seal on a bolt that has not previously been removed - I'll take a swing about the same if I were puting a nail into drywall to hang a picture on. Nothing too hard. Since you are talkig about the derby cover - that should to it to break the loc-tite seal. Unfortunately, the outerprimary is a cast part (and very soft - the chrome is the hardest thing on the cover). With the derby cover in place there is a LOT more support - so it can take a bit of abuse - but once you get a bolt or 3 out, I would start being a bit more cautions when it comes to whacking onit. as you can easily find a chunk of primary cover laying on the floor.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:33 AM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I just broke the the head off one of the derby cover Torx fasteners last week when I went in to adjust my clutch.
The rest of It's still in there, thankfully it's not leaking. Gonna try an Easy Out tonight, hope I can get it out.[&o]

Old 04-21-2008, 08:48 AM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain

Thanks jumpman. Yeah, I started with a 1/4" drive and torx socket, no dice. Went to the impact driver with a few controlled hits, figured it would break loose, nothing. Definitely concerned about cracking something.

Akitakoi, exactly what I don't want to happen. Sorryman, thatsucks.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:21 AM
IM744
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are tyring to get a Torx screw loose and cant. You might try to get one that fits into a changeable bit screwdriver which should be a 1/4 inch shaft then place that into a 1/4 inch socket with 3/8 drive and go to town. The bit should break before anything else and that is what they are designed to do. Using this setup dont hit it sharply just use brute force and watch your knuckles.

Old 04-22-2008, 01:18 PM
CrackOfDawn
Road Captain

Bolts are out.

In my first post - "Not even the power driver would bring them loose" -was referring to the fact that this was not my first attempt.I used a 3/8 ratchet drive with a T28 socket bit, I slightly bent it. Then I wentto the T-handle 27. Not enough torque. Then the impact. Nothing. Figured if someone is going to break them it would not be me.

I **** you not, I rode to the shop today, guy walks out with a 3/8 ratchet and a T27 socket bit, popped all 5 loose in about 8 seconds.

Quick Reply: wrenchers, I got Primary bolts problem