Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Rex 3" Dual Straights

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 09:22 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default T-Rex 3" Dual Straights

Got my T-Rex True Duals today. Wow, ordered them Friday factory direct. One problem. I'm not a wrencher and there are no instructions. I called the factory and there was no one there except salse folks. I'll try tomorrow. The Hard Krome site has some instruction but nothing for the 3" on my 05 Ultra.

Parts bag had 5 bolts, 4 washers, 1 nut, 1 bracket, 1 clamp and 2 spacers (1/4” thick). Anyone have any helpful information or am I on my own removing the Stock Pipes and installing these? I suppose I can figure it out. But bmy first thought would be do I need to go to Harley and get new gaskets or anything?

Anything would be appreciated.

Bob

[IMG]local://upfiles/3184/59405A9983FD4D3B92EBABFC2C89A74E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-14-2006, 09:24 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: T-Rex 3" Dual Straights

Yes new gaskets and go with the SE Gaskets.

There was a thread showing the difference from stock to the SE gaskets. It even had pics.

Try doing a search.

Old 02-14-2006, 09:29 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know how you feel. Mine came yesterday, and there was no paper work for them in the box. I will have the dealer put them on at the first service, and the PCIII and do the dyno custom fuel map too.

The one part that bugs me, is what is the big hose clamp for??

Bob

Old 02-14-2006, 10:16 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain

Thanks I did find it but I don't know how to add the hyperlink so here's the url: https://www.hdforums.com/m_244292/mp.../tm.htm#244292

I'm guessing that the big hose clamp is somehow used with the flat bracket. Hopefully I can get a hold of HK's techs tomorrow

ORIGINAL: CHEYENNE

Yes new gaskets and go with the SE Gaskets.

There was a thread showing the difference from stock to the SE gaskets. It even had pics.

Try doing a search.

Old 02-15-2006, 02:41 AM
Ganno57
Tourer

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

Got my T-Rex True Duals today. Wow, ordered them Friday factory direct. One problem. I'm not a wrencher and there are no instructions. I called the factory and there was no one there except salse folks. I'll try tomorrow. The Hard Krome site has some instruction but nothing for the 3" on my 05 Ultra.

Parts bag had 5 bolts, 4 washers, 1 nut, 1 bracket, 1 clamp and 2 spacers (1/4” thick). Anyone have any helpful information or am I on my own removing the Stock Pipes and installing these? I suppose I can figure it out. But bmy first thought would be do I need to go to Harley and get new gaskets or anything?

Anything would be appreciated.

Bob

[IMG]local://upfiles/3184/59405A9983FD4D3B92EBABFC2C89A74E.jpg[/IMG]
(1) 4 bolts and 4 washers. 2 bolts and 2 washers per muffler to hang the mufflers from the stock bracket under the bags.
(2) 1 bolt and 1 nut to hold the rear pipe to the new bracket that goes on the starter after you remove the stock bracket. There are 2 bolts that hold the starter in place and the stock bracket. Pull the bolts out about 1 inch and remove the stock bracket. Install the new bracket and reinstall the 2 bolts.
(3) 2 - 1/4" thick spacers are used to pull the rear pipe close to the primary case without touching it. You may use 1 or both of these. If they are not used to space the rear pipe they might be used to move the right side floorboard further away from the frame allowing clearance for the front pipe. You will have to see where they are actually needed. Judging from how short the bolts are I would guess that the 1/4" spacers are going to be used to move the right side floorboard further away from the frame to give clearance for the front pipe.
(4) The clamp. I don't have a clue where it is used without seeing the system.

Old 02-15-2006, 08:49 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain

Mike,

Thanks, that is very helpful and appreciated.

Bob

Old 02-15-2006, 09:32 AM
colt45
Banned

How hard is it to do a change like that for a novice???

Old 02-15-2006, 10:25 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easier to install than to taking off the stock system (dumpster). I discarded the starter/tranny brackets and reversed the lock washer on the bottom rear board bracket. Trimmed the lower push pin on the left side cover a little, no problem. Then just 2 nuts to the manifold and 2 bolts to the rear mount, that's it. Best to get 4 new manifold nuts and trash the old ones. Been smiling ever since, these pipes ROCK![sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 02-15-2006, 11:10 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain

I'm heading to HD for the SE gaskets and will pick up 4 new manifold nuts. Do I need anything else before I start? Does any bolt/nut need loctite?
I like your way, seems simplified. I would assume that the brackets you are not using were intended more for clearance than support and not using them will not result in an exhaust leak down the road.

Again thanks for your insight and tips

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Easier to install than to taking off the stock system (dumpster). I discarded the starter/tranny brackets and reversed the lock washer on the bottom rear board bracket. Then just 2 nuts to the manifold and 2 bolts to the rear mount, that's it. Best to get 4 new manifold nuts and trash the old ones. Been smiling ever since, these pipes ROCK![sm=bangbang.gif]

Old 02-15-2006, 11:39 AM
colt45
Banned

Cheapest place to get these T Rex pipes -? Hey Bounty how do you like those cruise boards? Kury really makes some awesome stuff, huh?

Quick Reply: T-Rex 3" Dual Straights