Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

T-Rex 3" Dual Straights

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2006, 05:42 PM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: T-Rex 3" Dual Straights

Heavens NO! I hit a deer last summer and I have my body parts out being painted. I'm doing some upgrades, including lots of chrome and accessories.

Swapping of the stock pipes for the T-Rex is a few hours at best.

ORIGINAL: FireHawk

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

I called them and they emailed a three page instruction sheet. I glanced at it while I installed the 3" Straight True Duals a few minutes ago on my 05 Ultra. Took about 3 or four hours. Most of the time was spent removing the stock pipes and trying to keep my garage warm. I followed advice from Bountyhunter and tossed the brackets. No problem with fit. I did adjust the right floorboard but otherwise I had no clearance issues other that getting a socket on the nuts.

They really rock!

PM me with an email and I can forward the Installation pdf for 3" True Duals on 2002-03 FLT/FLHT/FLHR/FLTR. But again I just used it as a reference since it's hard not to get it right and I'm not a wrencher

[IMG]local://upfiles/3184/0A3E31572A0A441EBDC3CB3F06248BBA.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/3184/8544D8E916E64C9186A0B73A29A2962E.jpg[/IMG]
Man! You gotta pull all that stuff off to mount them?????
Wait for it..
.[sm=joke.gif]

Old 03-08-2006, 07:08 PM
LawDawgs1
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: zubaugh

Took me longer to take those OEM pipes off then to put the T-Rex 3" True Duals on. I had to use a 1/4" socket on 2 of the manifold nuts but the rest was a dream. The only clearance issue was with the right floorboard and I used the spacers provided.

Can't speak for others but my 05 Ultra had not issues and the T-Rex look awesome!

btw: Seems like the Factory is not enclosing instructions. I called and they emailed them to me within an hour.

ORIGINAL: LawDawgs1

I would really like to hear more on these pipes. When I first saw these pipes I just fell in love with them and came very close to ordering a set, but then got to thinking about the size of the pipe and was worried about the fitment around the engine, floorboards and primary. Please let us know how it turns out...

Thanks for the info..
I did order a set and man do they look sweet, havent installed them yet tho. I'm fixin to tear mine down and paint the inner fairing, change handle bars and cables, and have chrome lowers put on. Figured I would be better off to just do everything all at once, but waiting on the money flow to get everything ordered is killin me!!! I'm getting anxious

Old 04-23-2006, 10:51 AM
SgtDiesel
Advanced

After shopping around and reading some of the posts on the forum, I decided to buy a set of the T-Rex true duals. I bought them on eBay along with a Screamin' Eagle stage 1 air cleaner and a Power Commander III USB from three different sellers for a total cost of $1014.40 including shipping. All items were brand new.

My T-Rexes and the Screamin' Eagle air cleaner arrived on Wednesday and I couldn't wait to put them on so Wednesday evening I started pulling off the stock exhaust. Like some others', my T-Rex duals arrived without any instructions, but I still managed to complete the job in about three hours. The only real issue I had was clearance on the right side pipe by the rider floorboard. I had to install a thick washer on each floorboard mounting stud along with the spacers provided with the pipes in order to keep the floorboard mount from rubbing. I also had to remove the stock reflectors on the front of the frame because the one on the right side rubbed the heat shield. I will most likely reinstall these just a bit higher on the frame.

When I finished the with the pipes, I started the engine briefly to check for leaks and just to see what it sounded like. I was pleased.

Next I installed the Screamin' Eagle air cleaner, but since my Power Commander hadn't arrived yet the bike had to sit idle.

On Thursday, I happened upon this thread and after reading it, I wrote zubaugh who was nice enough to send me the T-Rex installation instructions. I just wanted to review them for my own piece of mind that I hadn't overlooked anything. Thank you, zubaugh.

The Power Commander arrived Friday, and I started installing it as soon as I got home from work. I ran into an issue right away, but I don't expect it is a common one. The stock Road King Engine Control Module is mounted to the side of the battery tray with a plastic bracket. The ECM mounting bolts thread into brass fittings inside this bracket and mine had apparently been cross threaded from the factory. Had I known this, I could have installed the PC without removing the ECM, but the PC instructions say to take it off so that's what I tried to do. I ended up screwing up the plastic bracket and spent the next couple of hours fabricating a makeshift repair so that I could complete the job. Thankfully a new bracket only costs $14.50 and I have a new one on order from H-D.

By the time I got finished, it was too late to install the PC map and take it for a test run without angering the neighbors so my Road King sat silent for another night.

Finally, when I got home from work on Saturday evening, I plugged the laptop into the Power Commander and installed the map. I'm using the canned map for the Rinehart duals from Dynojet's website. (807-511) It's going to be a couple of weeks before I can get a dyno appointment and tech support at Dynojet and Hard Krome suggested that map. I took it for a short ride even though the roads were still wet from earlier rainstorms and I couldn't be happier with the sound and performance.

To those of you on here who praised your T-Rexes, I appreciate your dedication because I love what they did for my bike. It is the deepest, cleanest sound I have heard from a Harley-Davidson motorcycle and I have several friends running Rineharts.

I'm not putting down the Rineharts; they're awesome too. I just happen to prefer my T-Rexes.

Old 04-23-2006, 02:11 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

SgtDiesel, how 'bout sum pics???

Old 04-23-2006, 02:18 PM
AcidRayn
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif]

[sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif][sm=bounceybounce.gif]

couple of side notes, **snicker**

1st - no insstructions = u got wut u paid 4 **snicker**

2nd - hey bounty hunter, you lied to me, you said there NO clamps! i clearly see a clamp on that pic **snicker**

LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE **snicker** **snicker** **snicker**.

o, and i do agree bountyhunter, the stock exhaust suckz to remove

Old 04-23-2006, 02:38 PM
jfanton
Road Captain

[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 04-23-2006, 07:31 PM
Ganno57
Tourer

Can someone please post a rear shot of these pipes. I just took off my D&D FatCat (don't like the sound) after only one week and I'm looking at pipes again. The first set of pipes I sold were Rinehart True Duals. I did not like the sound of them either. I want deeeeeep traditional Harley sound. A real rumble. I don't give a rats behind if they don't make all the hp the D&D makes. I want the sound! I'm about to order some V&H Dresser Dual front pipes and some Rush mufflers unless someone can convince me to go with these T-Rex pipes. I love the look but no one here local has the pipes for me to hear. If anyone in Houston reads this send me a PM and we can get together to hear some sound.

Old 04-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Billyboy
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Electra Geezer

I want deeeeeep traditional Harley sound. A real rumble. I don't give a rats behind if they don't make all the hp the D&D makes. I want the sound! I'm about to order some V&H Dresser Dual front pipes and some Rush mufflers unless someone can convince me to go with these T-Rex pipes.

I have the Rush mufflers with the Sampson true dual dresser pipes. They are probably the deepest sounding set of pipes I've heard, and they sound gooooood. Sitting next to my friends Fatboy with Pythons, they're much deeper and a definite potato-potato-potato sound. I think they said you can order the mufflers with different baffles, mine have the second to loudest baffles. I haven't heard the HK's, but I'd bet they're not as deep as the Rush's.

Bill

Old 04-25-2006, 08:56 PM
ScooterGuitar
Tourer

Dang, I am going with the T Rex pipes now! I have seen variosu poster's pics and keep going back to them for looks, should go great on my '98 fi RK. I was all set on VH trues, and possibly the Rhines, but now thsi thread has convinced me.
More on the sound, everyone is saying it keeps that deep HD rumble. How about when you crack them, nice spank? Fairly loud? Anything you can describe is appreciated.
I plan on doing the Power Commander along with it, then a Dyno. No other work. But, is there anything I should seriously consider when I do the above.
Also, do the T Rex add any power or torque?
Thanks for the help man.

Old 04-25-2006, 09:05 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

I am sure you will be happy with them. Loud and Proud!!!

Bob

Quick Reply: T-Rex 3" Dual Straights