Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mustang or Harley Sundowner???

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 04:53 PM
FLHRMan
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mustang or Harley Sundowner???

My FLhR stock is seat is putting my buttocks to sleep. I'll never make it to the 105 party....

What say you all Mustang or Harley Sundowner???

Old 04-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Mustang or Harley Sundowner???

I put a Sundowner on my SuperGlide, and I have put a Mustang on myElectraGlide. Either is a great improvement over the respective stock seats. I found the Mustang to be a little bit of a shock at first, as it is very firm in comparison. But that firmness is what keeps you from settling down to the pan on a long ride, andafter about 5 minutes you will forget about it.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:06 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I have both the Sundowner and the Mustang Solo seats. I always liked my sundowner, fit my butt nicely but every now and then after about 100 miles I would get an ache under my left thigh where it meets the butt.
I recently installed a Mustang Solo and find it even more comfortable than the Sundowner. Yesterday I did a 170 mile trip and had no problems at all. This seat is great. The only negative thing I will say about the mustang is that it is narrower in the nose than the Sundowner which is not a bad thing butit allows the heat from the left pipe to scorch your thigh if you are in stop and go traffic on a warm day.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:07 PM
Lost1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Same problem here, but what's comfortable to someone else's butt might kill yours, and vice versa...

Old 04-20-2008, 05:15 PM
spry1500
Cruiser

i have a 08 sg put a sundowner on rode 2 hours today great.

Old 04-20-2008, 05:47 PM
DiegoKing
Tourer

I run a Mustang Daytripper and love it.

Old 04-20-2008, 06:33 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Ive run both on my 07 SG.

I really liked the Sundowner. Im 6 feet and about 220 lbs, and it fit me VERY well. It was the most comfortable seat I had owned up to that point. HOWEVER, I will say that after a 100 mile stint, I did start to feel as though I was "sinking" through to foam to the base pan. The other issue was that the passenger section is quite small (relative to other "touring" seats) and not at all comfortable for my wife. (I know they have made changes to the 08 version, making the passenger section wider)

I then tried several other seats, settling on the Mustang solo with 13" pillion.

Best seat I have ever ridden. I will probably still have to have the pillion softened up a bit for the wife (she likes cushy seats) but the driver portion is the best motorcycle seat I have EVER owned. Its construction is MUCH better than the Sundowner, although the pricing of the two does reflect this. ie: Sundowner is almost half the price.

I STRONGLY recommend you get the Driver backrest, as well as if you choose the go the solo/pillion route, to get the pillion that does NOT overlap the driver seat, but the one that accommodates the driver backrest. You have to make that decision up front, because if you get the one without the rider backrest, you cant add it later (on the SOLO/Pillion Mustangs, not the one piece)

Here are some comparisons you may find useful:

http://home.comcast.net/~kceder/seats.html