Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cruise Control Gremlin - 08 FLTR

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008 | 12:10 PM
uweldit
|
Road Captain
Default Cruise Control Gremlin - 08 FLTR

Took a 100 mile ride yesterday, great weather!

On the way home, cruise control started acting up. With the dash cruise switch on, I would go to set the speed and the dash light stayed red. Sometimes the dash light would go green but the bike did not hold speed.

During the ride I pulled up on the rear brake pedal with my foot and pushed out on the front brake lever and it did not make a difference.

Every once in a while I would get lucky and it would activate. Got home and checked the front/rear brake lamps and they are working normally.

Dealer did a stage 1 flash two weeks ago but I doubt it caused the problem. I'm thinking speed sensor or cruise module intermittent fault.

PS the stock speaker loudness leaves much to be desired.

Any ideas? It's under warranty so I can take it to the dealer next week.

Old 04-20-2008 | 01:10 PM
uweldit
|
Road Captain
Default RE: Cruise Control Gremlin - 08 FLTR

UPDATE:

Did the cruise switch test (hold down crise switch and turn ign on) and it's working perfect on the dash).

Me thinks it's a module now or speed sensor.

Old 04-20-2008 | 01:45 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain

Starting with the 2008 touring the module doesn't exist. All of the logic is in the ECM. If your not having throttle problems with the Cruise off I have to guess that your problem is switch related.
Is your speedometer erratic? if not I'd rule out the speed sensor.
Did you recently wash the bike and get water into the switch housing? Could be moisture on the switch contacts.
Just trying to throw some causes at you.
For everyones information: All of the touring bikes built have cruise control on them.Even if you didn't order it, the only thing that's missing is the switches and one bit in one word in the ECM is not set high. The cruise uses the same throttle servo as the FBW hand grip.

Old 04-20-2008 | 01:51 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

My 07 RG is in the shop right now FOR THE FORTH TIME to try to repair the cruise control.

First time - They diagnosed problem and ordered new cruise module
Second time - I rode it to them and was waiting. They replaced the module with no success. I rode it home with no cruise.
Third time - They had it 3 days and said it was done. Rode 30 miles before it failed again and would not work again.
Forth time - Has been in the shop for 5 days. I'm calling this afternoon to get a report. I'll post the results.

This is getting to be comical really. I'm going to call them right now.

Old 04-20-2008 | 02:16 PM
boiserider
Intermediate

My 08 FLTR Just started having CC problems. Unit would engage for a few seconds then with the
green light still on it just releases and bike decelerates. Also the check engine light comes on.
I did a search on this forum and someone else has had this problem. Dealer fixed problem with
a new handlebar switch unit. Dealer said check eng. light was an indication of switch failure.

Old 04-20-2008 | 04:46 PM
choochoo
Banned

yep you all aren't the only one here having a problem
HD still has bugs to work out in the new combined ECM
system.
Please keep us informed of any realistic repairs and any TSB's you can get.
I'm trying to collect TSB's so I can post them as needed.

Old 04-20-2008 | 05:08 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member

Nothing new, every once in a while on my 01 the CC will not function or come in late. No reason, no time frame nothing. Just going down the road. It stops working I dont use it for a while and it works no problem. It out of warranty so no use fixing it. When it stops all together I will replace it.

Old 04-20-2008 | 05:37 PM
RoadKing_Al
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: choochoo

yep you all aren't the only one here having a problem
HD still has bugs to work out in the new combined ECM
system.
Please keep us informed of any realistic repairs and any TSB's you can get.
I'm trying to collect TSB's so I can post them as needed.
There really isn't anything new about the ECM system it's over 30 years old. There problem is their writers. There logic s*cks. For every rung of logic there should be 4 or more rungs watching every rung. There is absolutely no excuse for these problems.

Old 04-20-2008 | 09:13 PM
uweldit
|
Road Captain

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses. Boiserider, my check engine light did not come on but I went on another HOG ride this afternoon and now when I start the bike, check engine light conmes on for 5 seconds and goes off.

While I was at the dealer waiting for the ride to start the service manager looked at it and will get my bike in tuesday. I did not have these problems until I got a chance to ride the bike for an extended period (500+ mi) since I had the download installed.

Roadking Al, the speedo is not acting erratic and I have not washed the bike or had it wet since the stage 1 download was installed.

Sifularson, sorry you are still fighting this --that's BS. Roadking Al, thanks for the 08 update. Boiserider and Choochoo, thanks for the info. I think Choochoo may have a point about tracking this.

As soon as I find out what is happening, I will post the result.

Thanks all for all of your time&help. Me owes ya a beer.

Old 04-22-2008 | 07:25 AM
MarkandMary
Road Captain

Good luck!