Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motor mount changing question!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 10:30 AM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Motor mount changing question!

Changed my motor mount yesterday. Noticed several things. First when I ordered my new mount from the dealership parts department. I ordered the Buell mount with the new number 16207-79C. The part arrived, I picked it up its all in a white vacume package with part number L0501.2 Engine Mount, Front on light blue lable dated (not that means anything) 09/06/07 with BUELL logo in upper right corner of lable.

I remember something about my parts guy saying its superseeded with this partnumber.

Yesterday, I get the bike all apart, open this bag, inside is another bag. Low and behold the exact same part number on that one I receivedis the sameas thebad one still onthe bike. The Buell package containedthe old POS part number 16207-79B (well its a new one). It pisses me off that had I opened the part at the counter I'd questioned it then, [:@]but since it was in that solid white bag, you can not see through it.Will have to iron that one out later with the dealer tomorrow. I couldn't leave the bike all apart so I installed the new item.

Question that I have is, in that the bracket with the front engine alignment bar with heim joints is not a true hard fast bracket bolt on item when you un-do your bracket to the engine case,the bolt holes are much larger then the bolts!With all this slop I feel that I've lost my alignments??

The same can be said for the motor mount, that setup with bolt and hole is not something that has snug tollerenaces either! Everything has slop the two mounting ears and the center bolt hole.

I was hoping to take the old mount out with out having to pull a bolt off the adjustment bracket frame on the front of the engine case, but when the engine was jacked up the only thing it did was allow the tension to uncompress the motor mount!!

Is the engine now out of alignment with respect to my frame???

I didn't change the adjustment of the heim joints. But can't help but think its still out of alignment because of the slop in the casing bracket bolt holes and the motor mount hole slop. I think if I could have gotthe mount out with out having toundo thecase bracket, thingswould have been fine.(I understand that the holes and slop are necessaryfor the mount, it was a supprise to find that much slop on the forward casing mounting bracket for the heim joint) I did not have time yesterday to go out on to the highway to see if it has wobble! But when I do I'm sure that will be the case.

No telling how long this exact same replacement part will last, I know the motor is now sitting as it should front elevation wise so I don't want to just run out an change any alignments just yet. Expecially when I may have to tear it all apart again, and put a better mount in place for a second time!Hope to aligne as needed or if necessary then.

!!!

Old 04-20-2008, 11:33 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Motor mount changing question!

Possibly is out of alignment, only a check will determine yes or no.

Get out your service manual for the bike. Either under chassis or engine
(not sure which) it will describe how to test for an alignment issue and the tools
needed.

Old 04-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the reply.

Have been in the manual, now have to wait for better weather to get bike out and test..(presently no room in garage for any productive work on bike)Not looking forward to diagnosing anything in rain storms for next two days!
It will have to stay on hold until then.

I just hope that I'm chasing my tail andany alignment that could have changed from the bolt holes not being tightened in the exact same locations from stock positions is not very significant since the link settings have not changed!

Thanks again

Old 04-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

It's a Harley, not a BMW! Tolerances,...................we don't need no tolerances!