Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP From the Touring Section.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008 | 07:29 AM
TakeNoCrap
|
Cruiser
Default NEED HELP From the Touring Section.

Some of you already know me. Iv enjoyed the touring section, especially sence we've started doing a lot of touring around the south east. My problem is this. We had Harley do a build for us. 103. SE pro performer heads. Forged 10:5.1 pistons. 585 S&S cam. PCIII 200 psi pressure . good dyno numbers . Both over 100 in torque & hp . Reinhart true duels . The problem is this. THE BIKE IS TO LOUD. We travel a LOT and it flat out gets to us. Our ears are ringing and at 80 we can't even hear the radio. On long trips, it just gets to you. We really liked the quietness of our stock pipes but I was told I would loose all my build if I put the factory pipes back on. So what am I to do ? If I have to live with this noise, I will sell the bike. I didn't buy it to wake the neighborhood. We love to travel. Any suggestions from someone who knows or and suggestions on what we could do ? Thankyou .

Old 04-20-2008 | 07:32 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: NEED HELP From the Touring Section.

I believe Sampson offers performance pipes that are Quiet!!
or, try quiet baffle kits.
maybe SE slipons..?
those would be your options.

oh yea Rush slipons with 1.5 or 1.75 baffles

Old 04-20-2008 | 07:35 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Check around - there are other pipes available that'll please YOUR ears an' the engine.....there's some builders here - ah'm sure they'll be checkin' in shortly with some more specific info fer ya!

Old 04-20-2008 | 07:37 AM
harleykris
Tourer

I had the same problem with my Vance and Hines true duals. I put on a D&D Fatcat 2:1. Much quieter especially at cruising speeds and performs better as well.

Old 04-20-2008 | 07:44 AM
bigdoghd
Road Master

See what the board comes up with, maybe you could get with one of the forum memebers that would be close and compare. Other wise, I would go back to the dealer that did the work and talk to the service manager. Ask him what he has for take offs. Instead of selling the bike, you could loose a little power and go back to the HD mufflers(which I'm sure they have a ton of or your old ones). Recheck your fuel settings and head temps and you should be ok with that.

Old 04-20-2008 | 07:53 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

TNC, I digress to your earlier posts that were very anti-mods to the stock motor based on your work "at a Harley shop:"

"The bottom line is this. We see people coming into the shop every day wanted more power. It's the number one seller for Harley . No one is happy with the power of Harley. May be one day everyone will realize buying into a fad or hype's not worth it.

If you've got $30K to drop and play with for 40 to 50K, then you will be happy. Other wise, stay factory or regret it. We see it every day."

https://www.hdforums.com/m_2817520/tm.htm

Do you wear a helmet, and, if so, what kind? I ask because I have Rinehart TD's and with a 3/4 helmet I can hear my radio easily and the pipes are far quieter than with a 1/2 helmet. Of course, the pipes aren't any quieter; the 3/4 helmet simply transmits less exhaust noise to my ears.

Old 04-20-2008 | 07:55 AM
rambler43
Cruiser

Check out Fuelmoto.com for there rush performance slipon set up, i heard they have great performance and lower in sound

Old 04-20-2008 | 07:59 AM
harleyeglideman
Road Master

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 04-20-2008 | 08:00 AM
Q Hog
Road Warrior

Just change the pipes to one that is not as loud but still provide the performance that you want......Dont sell it!!!

Old 04-20-2008 | 08:00 AM
ridesegc04
Intermediate

super trapp you can add or remove discs for the sound or performance your looking for and still keep power in the useful range

Quick Reply: NEED HELP From the Touring Section.