Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED HELP From the Touring Section.

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008 | 09:57 AM
TakeNoCrap
|
Cruiser
Default RE: NEED HELP From the Touring Section.

What happens when i put my factory pipes back on with the sensors ?????????

Old 04-20-2008 | 10:09 AM
adlerx
Road Captain

Supertrapp Supermeg 2 into 1. Quietest high performance pipe out there. I have on with a similar build to yours and it's not bad at cruising speed. I wanted quiet and that is why I picked it. Also there are some mufflers , S&S SPO's they are high performance and very quiet. don't know if they'll doo 100/100 but I believe so. They aren't cheap at around $500 but they are beautiful, strong and super quiet.

Old 04-20-2008 | 11:06 AM
rde
Road Captain

I am fascinated by this forum. What makes an owner dump several thousand dollars more into a Harley touring bike to make it bigger, faster, and louder. I'm just curious as to why - when you can get power and performance out the door with a BMW K1200 LT for a lot less money.

And I will tell you right here and now that there will come a day when you have some serious hearing loss and the only one to blame is yourself. That ringing in your ears after your ride is the real deal.

We all love our Harley touring bikes. My point is that maybe there is a limit to the "performance upgrades"and "aftermarket exhaust systems" that is applicable to a touring machine. At the end of the day we are expected to ride this bike for 400+ miles a day. Why not just sit back and enjoy the ride. How much extra hp, torque, and decibles are necessary to do that?

It has always seemed to me that touring bikes are a different breed. Maybe a few engine mods are OK, but then there comes a time when the rider has lost focus on what the bike is supposed to do. If you want loud and mean, maybe ride something else. If you want a better stock performance machine buy a BMW. If you want a HD, accept it for what it is.

I hope you get everything worked out. I'm not bashing your mods-it's your bike you can do what you want with it. I just don't see the point with a touring bike that's all, my .02

Old 04-20-2008 | 11:12 AM
recross
Tourer

I believe rhineharts have a quieter baffle slip in.......loud pipes do suck if your doing highway miles day in and day out....ear plugs will work also for this type of riding.......

Old 04-20-2008 | 11:35 AM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Have mama push while you steer..................very quiet this way

........except for the nagging you still hear coming from the rear. Nothing that turning the radio up won't cure though.

Old 04-20-2008 | 11:58 AM
Trey Hogger
Road Master

Sell the bike and take a bus. You always sound clueless in spite of everything you know.

Now comon Trey, play nice or dont play at all

Old 04-20-2008 | 12:50 PM
2003flhtci
Tourer

ORIGINAL: rde

I am fascinated by this forum. What makes an owner dump several thousand dollars more into a Harley touring bike to make it bigger, faster, and louder. I'm just curious as to why - when you can get power and performance out the door with a BMW K1200 LT for a lot less money.

And I will tell you right here and now that there will come a day when you have some serious hearing loss and the only one to blame is yourself. That ringing in your ears after your ride is the real deal.

We all love our Harley touring bikes. My point is that maybe there is a limit to the "performance upgrades"and "aftermarket exhaust systems" that is applicable to a touring machine. At the end of the day we are expected to ride this bike for 400+ miles a day. Why not just sit back and enjoy the ride. How much extra hp, torque, and decibles are necessary to do that?

It has always seemed to me that touring bikes are a different breed. Maybe a few engine mods are OK, but then there comes a time when the rider has lost focus on what the bike is supposed to do. If you want loud and mean, maybe ride something else. If you want a better stock performance machine buy a BMW. If you want a HD, accept it for what it is.

I hope you get everything worked out. I'm not bashing your mods-it's your bike you can do what you want with it. I just don't see the point with a touring bike that's all, my .02

Well put.

Old 04-22-2008 | 02:10 AM
TakeNoCrap
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: recross

I believe rhineharts have a quieter baffle slip in.......loud pipes do suck if your doing highway miles day in and day out....ear plugs will work also for this type of riding.......

Thats the problem. I do a lot of highway miles and the loud pipes gets to me after an hour or two. At 70 its not bad at all, but i run around 80 to 85 all the time so it sounds off pretty good at that rpm. I do a lot of highway miles so the pipes do bother me. Other than that they would be fine. It has a good sound. I just wanted a little davice on quitning down the pipes without looseing power hopefully.
ONCE AGAIN. What would happen if i just put my factory pipes back on with a 10:5.1 compression ratio ? Or is there a quiet performance pipe out there ?

Old 04-22-2008 | 05:48 AM
recross
Tourer

Maye try putting the factory pipes back on and run it...you'll know if there's a power loss...run it and than check the plugs to see how it burning...just a suggestion before you spend $$$$ on different pipes......BC

Old 04-22-2008 | 06:16 AM
TakeNoCrap
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: recross

Maye try putting the factory pipes back on and run it...you'll know if there's a power loss...run it and than check the plugs to see how it burning...just a suggestion before you spend $$$$ on different pipes......BC
Oh i can tell you right now it would run rich. What im worried about is the pressure. it generates 198 psi pr piston. Im worried it may damage it. I know it will cut out the top end for sure . I was thinking i would need another dyno for sure. I dont know. A little rumble is ok but the reinharts are a little more than rumble. With my build, their LOUD.

Quick Reply: NEED HELP From the Touring Section.