Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Backrest for '08 Ultra "Stock Seat"

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008 | 11:26 PM
JumpingJack_S
|
1st Gear
Default Backrest for '08 Ultra "Stock Seat"

Looking for a good Driver backrest for an '08 FLHTCU with the "Stock" seat.
Should I go with the HD Adjustable, HD Fixed Backrest, or a Mustang Backrest on a "Stock" seat?

Which one will be the must comfortable? Where's a good place to purchase at a discount price?
Thanks for the feedback in advance!

Old 04-20-2008 | 03:03 AM
Trailfndr
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Backrest for '08 Ultra "Stock Seat"

I had the Adjustable one on my 06 Ultra. When my wife decided to surpriser me with a New 08, I removed many parts to reuse. The Backrest was the first thing installed.

Notice...on the earlier bikes, there was a bolt holding a wire clip to attach the control to, on the 08 there is no bolt. I was able to snake a short carriage bolt into place to hoold the controller frame. Took some effort, (tight fit) but with some determination, and a pair of right angle needlenose pliers, I finally got it in. I used the frame holes under the front of the seat, there are two hex shaped holes, and two larger round holes. I snaked the bolt thru the upper round hole and dropped it into the top Hex shaped hole. Looks and works Great..

I could not ride the miles I do, without that backrest lol.

Old 04-20-2008 | 06:17 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the Mustang on mine and am very happy with it:

Old 04-20-2008 | 07:00 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

HD fixed works for me,,, once its where you like it,,(there is some adjustment)
you will never need to readjust.

It DOES work good for my lower back pain!

Old 04-20-2008 | 07:15 AM
ssihogdog
Road Captain

HD Adjustable on my Ultra. Works great, set and forget, but adjustable for long rides to change positions. Easy to adjust while riding.

[IMG]local://upfiles/18233/9C61CA6C61CD4FF28C211C8C2C08316C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-20-2008 | 07:18 AM
Wolfie40
Cruiser

HD adjustable for me, I've never had a problem with them.

Old 04-20-2008 | 09:00 AM
SteveUltra
Cruiser

I had a mustang seat and backrest on my 03 roadking and it was comfortable and they looked good toghether.

I put H-D adjustable backrest on my new ultra and it is even more comfortable than the mustang backrest. (more padding)

I got the comfort stiched style H-D backrest and it is a perfect match to the 08 ultra seat, as you can see by Pastor John's, Mustang backrest does not match seat.

I spent the extra $$ and got the adjustable one (52622-03a) because in my opinion the style of it looks better than the H-D fixed one.

I recommend going somewhere that you will see other other guys bikes and compare what the two look like installed before you spend $$.

Chicago H-D or Zanotti's are two excellent places too buy online at 20% off. I think you will come in at about $260.00 shipped for the adjustable version.

The best $$ I spent on either bike was for a riders backrest.

Go to H-D website and search 52622-03a for picture of H-D adjustable backrest on your bike.

The pic say's not avail for purchace online but I got mine online from Chicago H-D.

Old 04-20-2008 | 09:34 AM
norskehd
Cruiser

Went with the HD back rest -
Screamin' Eagle® Electra Glide® Rider Backrest Kit

Styled to match the '05 Screamin' Eagle® Electra Glide® Low-Profile Seat. This backrest features an adjustable support bracket with four mounting hole locations to accommodate different riding positions. Backrest can be quickly removed for storage in Tour-Pak® or saddlebag. Thin profile allows additional passenger space.

Old 04-20-2008 | 09:36 AM
Gart
Tourer

I went with the HD adjustable. Before buying it I went to the local dealer and waited around until I could talk to a few other customers about it and how they liked it. Since it is fairly expensive, you should be certain that this is the one you want. If you are really nice and say great things about somebody else's bike looks, "maybe" they would let you sit on it and see how you like the backrest.

The only drawback that I have with the backrest is, that when it is in the fully reclined or back position, it is basically straight up and down. I would like to see it go back more than it does. I can't use it when it is in the forward position. Makes me lean too far forward into a very awkward position. However it is very comfortable pushed back into the rear position.

Gart

Old 04-20-2008 | 11:16 AM
DADDYO
Cruiser

The adjustable is by far the best for the money in the HD line.Have it on my 08 Ultra