Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big differences in discounted prices

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 01:20 PM
jensen5569
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Big differences in discounted prices

I think the 3 different part numbers illustrate how ONE vendor differs on discounts for similarly priced items and shipping costs. Obviously it's not a consistent/straight percentage discount...can't figure the shipping differences[sm=dontgetit.gif] (assuming that all those parts are roughly same size/weight.)

Cost Plus pricing is new to me, but suppose that's a reasonable explanation.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:29 PM
cwilks
Banned

Obvously there's different ways to break it down....you always have to check shipping because its ALWAYS apples and oranges.....some guys give a better discount on part but charge more on shipping others its the opposite....if your comparing FINAL pricing (part + shipping) your going to pick the cheapest....who cares how its broke dowm????

Free enterprise Baby

Old 04-18-2008, 02:04 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Not sure I understand the "unnamed discounter" useage--why the secrecy?

The discounts offered are not uniform at Zanotti's--I've had it as high as 35% and as little as 10% depending on the specific item. Also, the dealer cost-to-retail list price mark-upis not uniform at HD--or so it's been explained to me by Zanotti's and a couple of the local HD stores I use.

Always a good idea to comparison shop.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:23 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

I'll go ya one better (well better for ME)
I saw a corbin rumble seat for the road glide HEATED for $307 on the dennis kirk site... I hemed and I hawed a bit.... but I pulled the trigger and bought it... ordered on Tuesday, was on my bike Friday

told a friend about it... same seat... $435.....

If you see something you want.... buy it..... if you wait around.... "things change"

Old 04-18-2008, 02:41 PM
Shoe
Cruiser

You need to do a price comparason on the same item for all three vendors to really get a good idea of how much disparity there is. You can use all three vendors for all three parts. You should have had 9 different prices in this comparison, not three.

Just my .02

Dave

Old 04-18-2008, 02:45 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Apparently only a few of you got it. FLHT and jensen hit it right on the head.

And for those of you that don't get it you apparently didn't read.

The three different items are three different tour pak back rests. The only thing different is the stiching. So the weight or size will not vary. No reason shipping charges should be that different.

The 2nd and 3rd one have an MSRP that is the same and is $10 more than the first one. Yet at the discounted price the 3rd one is more expensive than the 2nd one. Should be the same with a standard discount.

Never heard of this cost plus pricing either. But I guess it would explain part of it. Just not the shipping.

ping: No secrecy. Just using an example. Not trying to slam a specific retailer.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:54 PM
cwilks
Banned

If your looking for a "standard" pricing format your wasting brain power......it doesn't exist....its all based off of MSRP but is certainly not limited to that

Old 04-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Shoe
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

Apparently only a few of you got it. FLHT and jensen hit it right on the head.

And for those of you that don't get it you apparently didn't read.

The three different items are three different tour pak back rests. The only thing different is the stiching. So the weight or size will not vary. No reason shipping charges should be that different.

The 2nd and 3rd one have an MSRP that is the same and is $10 more than the first one. Yet at the discounted price the 3rd one is more expensive than the 2nd one. Should be the same with a standard discount.

Never heard of this cost plus pricing either. But I guess it would explain part of it. Just not the shipping.

ping: No secrecy. Just using an example. Not trying to slam a specific retailer.
I read it, just didnt realize what you were getting at...The vendors can charge anything they want to ship it. Its the shipping that makes a sweet deal not so sweet if its too high. Thats why you need to find out the bottom line WITH SHIPPING before you think youre getting a better deal from a particular vendor.

Dave

Old 04-18-2008, 03:34 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Shoe

Thats why you need to find out the bottom line WITH SHIPPING before you think youre getting a better deal from a particular vendor.

Dave

Oh trust me I do. I follow it all the way throught o get shipping charges and then compare with other vendors. This one just caught me off guard considering they are basically the same item with the oly difference being stitching.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:38 PM
jharanin
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cost plus pricing is everywhere and on everything. Most manufactures quit producing price sheets and give their distributors nothing more than an Excel spreadsheet with cost on it and let them mark it up to whatever they think the market will bare. This takes them out of the pricing game and lets distributors battle it out. Not to mention the cost of printing thousands of price sheets and having to constantly update them.

Quick Reply: Big differences in discounted prices