Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stop & Go Traffic Heat Recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:31 PM
thehueg
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stop & Go Traffic Heat Recommendations?

I've had my Ultra Classic for almost six weeks and have about 1,500 miles on it. I've had the 1,000 mile service at the dealer. It remains straight stock. (I know, it's just a matter of time). Anyway, having never owned an air cooled bike before, I am worried about how to handle getting stuck in heavy stop and go city traffic and how to keep from ruining the motor from severe heat build up. How do you know when you're in danger of actually damaging the engine? Has the Moco got an over-ride that shuts it down before it's allowed to get to that point? And, is the program to shut down the rear jug as these ' 08's allow the operator to do, really going to make much of a difference.

I just want some straight talk on how to protect the engine under these circumstances so that I can enjoy many years of riding this beautiful machine.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Shoe
Cruiser
Default RE: Stop & Go Traffic Heat Recommendations?

I was stationed in the Central Valley of California where the temp used to get up to 110 degrees during the summer. I never had an issue. I don't think you will ever see temps high enough in Mass to worry about it.

The rear jugg will run hotter as it gets less cooling. I would NEVER shut off the motor in stop and go traffic. There is a bit of cooling being done as the bike goes through its normal combustion process. If you shut off the motor it will actually get HOTTER before it starts to cool.

Don't sweat the stop and go traffic or worry about overheating the engine. These engines have been tested time and again and the tolerances in the motor are not like the water cooled counterparts, their tolerances are large enough that they allow for expansion/retraction.

If you are really worried about it, you can get an oil cooler, but its unnecessary and adds a radiator like attachment to the front/side/downtube of the bike.

I would just ride it and enjoy it!!

Dave

Old 04-17-2008, 08:48 PM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Harley has a download for the ECU that shuts off the rear cylinder when idling if the engine gets too hot. if it is an '08 I would expect it to be already installed. It was a warranty item for the '07s.

what really helps is a fuel management system (SERT, PC III, etc.) used to richen up the extremely lean EPA air fuel mixture. this lean condition makes them run a whole lot hotter.

Plus, get some RJs Originals heat shields to protect the boys. They look great, easy to install and really do make a difference.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:50 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: thehueg

I've had my Ultra Classic for almost six weeks and have about 1,500 miles on it. I've had the 1,000 mile service at the dealer. It remains straight stock. (I know, it's just a matter of time). Anyway, having never owned an air cooled bike before, I am worried about how to handle getting stuck in heavy stop and go city traffic and how to keep from ruining the motor from severe heat build up. How do you know when you're in danger of actually damaging the engine? Has the Moco got an over-ride that shuts it down before it's allowed to get to that point? And, is the program to shut down the rear jug as these ' 08's allow the operator to do, really going to make much of a difference.

I just want some straight talk on how to protect the engine under these circumstances so that I can enjoy many years of riding this beautiful machine.
When your pants catch fire!!!

Seriously, if you stop & go that much, get an oil cooler. Mine looks fine and works great. JMHO

Old 04-17-2008, 08:51 PM
Lawdawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am by no means an expert, however I did have a problem like this one year during Spring Break here in South Florida. A buddy who had a Road King was riding next to me in stop and go traffic he had no problems with the heat, as I did notice my bike was running rough.
He was running Redline oil in his bike, I was not. I changed to Redline and so far no problems, maybe it wasn't the oil but maybe it was. This is just a suggestion, and its cheaper than getting an oil cooler.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:52 PM
TXCOMMISH
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lawdawg

I am by no means an expert, however I did have a problem like this one year during Spring Break here in South Florida. A buddy who had a Road King was riding next to me in stop and go traffic he had no problems with the heat, as I did notice my bike was running rough.[align=left]He was running Redline oil in his bike, I was not. I changed to Redline and so far no problems, maybe it wasn't the oil but maybe it was. This is just a suggestion, and its cheaper than getting an oil cooler.[/align]
Agreed, also good advice.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:04 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Same here and I have an oil cooler.The cooler does not help much in stop and go .You need to have air flowing over the fins at about 40 MPH to get real benefit. I would suggest a fan if you are concerned about stop and go. HD has a chrome one that fits where your horn is and the horn is relocated inside the fairing if I remember correctly. If I had it to do over I wouldnt bother with the oil cooler. I do have a rather hefty 95 inch with gear drive cams and since AMSOIL have had no issues. I did overheat once in York ,pa I was the only one with an oilo cooler and was running syn 3 while other did not overheat and was even riding two up. I shut the engine down as traffic was really bad after about 5-7 minutes sitting there it started right up and the pinging and what sounded loke lifter noise went away in a few thousand feet.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:08 PM
scaires as hell
Cruiser

Over heating is more of a problem when moco made the 96 so lean. In testing they founda 96 will over heat in ten minutes in the shade! The oil brakes down in the rear cylander,causing the rear cylander to score. One of the most common engine repairs. When
you read of oil in the air filter on a low millage engine, most often it was caused by over heating the rear cylander. Over heating the
rear cylander on a 110 motor is even more prevalant .

Rtde On !!!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:39 PM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

it don't get any straighter than this:
https://www.hdforums.com/upfiles/45117/A4FC3962F1564DD6B2DB1D8E4B584707.jpg
here is the service bulletin that describes the problem (and the fix) for what you are talking about.
enjoy your ride
ORIGINAL: thehueg

Old 04-18-2008, 12:36 AM
heywood727
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The EITMS came downloaded in the Touring bikes with TBW after the end of Nov. 07. I believe there is a download for 08's produced before Dec 07.

It only works at idle when engaged. The back cylinder stops the fuel and spark and acts like an air pump. The front cylinder richens up like on a cold start up (Really rich) and that cools it down. Once you burp the throttle, the engine returns to normal. If you left it at idle and didn't touch the throttlefor another 20-30 seconds, it will kick back in again.

Quick Reply: Stop & Go Traffic Heat Recommendations?