Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultra Classic Weight

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 06:31 PM
bob_kikkert
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Classic Weight

One of the things I've noticed with my new Ultra Classic is it's weight compared to the V-star I had last.....about 300lbs difference. I am 5'6" and 140lbs so does anyone have any advice on moving this thing around such as pushing it without dropping it and backing it up? I can drive it into my garage and back it out sitting on it but I cannot seem to back it into the garage. There might be a very, very slight upgrade going in but not much...

Old 04-17-2008, 06:50 PM
Bluerose
Default RE: Ultra Classic Weight

In all honesty I'm not sure I could explain it and I haven't done it for a long time.

Take your bike over to the dealer and ask them to show you the method. It's actually pretty easy to move once you get it down.

Old 04-17-2008, 06:58 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

Progressive make fork springs and shocks that will lower your bike.Harley makes a lowering kit as well. When you buy your bike lifter make sure you get one with wheels so you can turn your bike around on the jack. Buy the quick detachable bracket for your tour box so you can take it of when not in use. Buy a seat that suits your height

Old 04-17-2008, 07:02 PM
dtmues
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I might be the wrong guy to answer as I am taller & much larger, but my old bike(now daily driver) is a v-star 1100. I'm close to 6 feet and 230Lb & don't have much trouble. Not to sound rude, but can you even touch flat footed on the Ultra?

My dadis smaller, probably about your size. He will push his old 63 panheadpretty much any where by standing on the kickstand side & push or pull on the handelbars. Don't know if this will help you.

If you're having trouble reaching the ground, harley does make a seat that might help you out, or you can lower the bike if necessary.

If it's the weight of the bike, I'm not sure what you can do. Hopefully somebody else will have ideas for you.

I love my new Ultra. Itexceeds the V-Star in every aspect.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:02 PM
socalmoe
Tourer

Why not drive in, and use the incline to help you roll it out. Be careful, make sure you have sure footing, you do not want to loose balance!

Old 04-17-2008, 07:08 PM
maineultraclassic
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The Vstar 1100 weighs 600lbs (dry), the Ultra Classic weights 814lbs (dry).

I would suggest lowering the front and rear of the bike, and getting a lower profile seat...............doing that should give you much more leverage and control when on the bike.

Steve

Old 04-17-2008, 07:38 PM
Scootr
Road Master

I think we all are aware of inclines etc when we park our bikes and use them to our advantage. I have no problem manuvering my SG even with the tourpack on but I still wouldnt want to back it up hill very much I would make sure you can hold the bike up flat footed. If ya can't use some of the suggestions above to fix that.Anotherthing that helps is to make sure the passenger floorboards/pegs are up so your not hitting them with your calf and gives you more room for your leg.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:53 PM
scaires as hell
Cruiser

If it is a new bike they push harder, after 10,000 miles it will push better. It takes a year to get use to your first ultra and some new muscle !

Ride On !!!!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:07 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Scootr has a good answer and everyone makes good points. Unless most of your bodyare legs(at least a 29 inch inseam), I dont know how you manage at all.You definitely need the low profile touring shocks and anything else will affect ride quality unless you spend really big bucks for an air legends or progressive system.The low profiles and a Lepera style or HD low profile seat will help you about 2 and a half inches. It will as someone said roll easier after some break in and loss of brake pad thickness. Unless you are very strong and very well balanced,resist the temptation to move it around while standing on either side and not on the bike. I guarantee you will drop it eventually if you do. Ask me how I know, and I am 6 feet 240 pounds.

Old 04-17-2008, 08:37 PM
norskehd
Cruiser

I wear a 30" in seam and I added a riders back rest - gives a little leverage when backing up. Also I purchased a good set of Red Wing boots - the soles give a little height and some traction. I am thinking of adding a set of Progressive 416 series shocks - 12.6 inch Vs the Harley stock 13 inch. I here that Progressive shocks are better then the OEM ones and it will give a slight lowering to the ride.

My son purchased a 2007 EGC and put a set of Harley low profile shocks on it before he purchased it - it made quite a difference for him (he has about a 29 inch in seam). The low profile shocks lower the ride by 1 inch.

Quick Reply: Ultra Classic Weight