Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Road Glide Headlight Cover Removal.

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:08 AM
Dispatch
Road Warrior

Received 531 Likes on 273 Posts
Default RE: 2008 Road Glide Headlight Cover Removal.

One more thing. Why does Harley have to replace the 'entire radio' to have XM on the already factory installed radio? This is aside from the small XM Road Tech handlebar mounted model they offer. I can't figure out why this is. My Dodge Grand Caravan has one. All I had to do was call and activate the service. No special radio to have put in.

Old 12-18-2008, 10:56 PM
coolrydr
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink xm radio

Originally Posted by Dispatch
One more thing. Why does Harley have to replace the 'entire radio' to have XM on the already factory installed radio? This is aside from the small XM Road Tech handlebar mounted model they offer. I can't figure out why this is. My Dodge Grand Caravan has one. All I had to do was call and activate the service. No special radio to have put in.
I put one on my road glide, no problem. Tune it to 88 AM and rock all day

Old 12-19-2008, 04:03 AM
marvincbr
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

For the XM, I thought there was a module that plugged into the back of the stock radio and an antenna. I don't know if they need to update/flash the head unit to make the XM work though, like when adding the CB. I am looking into putting the XM on mine, now that they joined with Sirius.

Old 12-19-2008, 04:15 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts
Thumbs up Thanks

Originally Posted by heywood727
At the bottom you'll find 2 clips that are part of the cover. Just use a flatbladed screwdriver. Put the screw driver in and push it up. Do the same on the other side.

There are also two at the top. The bottom ones are bigger. Once you get it off you'll see how easy it is. Don't worry, there's no hidden screws or anything else.
Thanks for the heads up on this Heywood I do have a Manual Owners Service and Parts ... But always appreciate a good tip ^5

Old 12-19-2008, 05:09 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Dispatch
Can anyone please tell me how do you remove the clear plastic cover over the headlights on a 2008 Road glide?
Any help would be greatly appreciated. [sm=confused06.gif]

-Dispatch
Screwdrivers work fine...... but so do "pop sickle" sticks..... or pick up wooden wedges from your local building supply.... soft wood won't risk marring the plastic...
Then again, there's another thread on here, that talks about the Screaming Eagle bezel..... looks good, and rain doesn't get trapped behind the plastic.... because there isn't any

Old 12-19-2008, 06:26 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by PamzJoe
Hey Glide riders,
In the April issue of "American Bagger" there's a Road Glide featured called "Copper Chollo". It has a headlight cover that looks like some sort of wire mesh material (black). It really looks badass. The bike was built by Trask Performance. I e-mailed them & they responded saying the grill will soon be a production item but not as of yet. I don't know how practical it would be, but it sure looks good.
Joe
[/align]
You mean this one right?
(I'll bet this cuts down on your light output severely though)

Trask Performance has released a new headlight guard for your Road Glide. Heavy wire headlight guards look cool and protect your head lights. The guards come in a durable black powdercoat finish for that stealth look. $195.00

http://www.turboyourharley.com/other-trask-products.asp

Old 12-19-2008, 11:55 AM
cboehme
Advanced

I put the 09 SE bezel on mine and it looks a ton better. I didn't want to screw up the paint and took the whole outer fairing off. The bezel gave me quite a bit of trouble getting it to snap into place, but I won't have to take it on and off after washing the bike like that fish bowl lens cover. I can post pictures tonight if you're interested.

Old 12-19-2008, 12:45 PM
Mikind7
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Pics please...

Old 12-19-2008, 01:08 PM
cboehme
Advanced

Here's some pictures that badbag posted and I'll post some of my bike tonight from the inside and outside of the fairing outer.

Attached Thumbnails  2008 Road Glide Headlight Cover Removal.-dsc02611.jpg    2008 Road Glide Headlight Cover Removal.-dsc02613.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 12-19-2008, 01:26 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by cboehme
I put the 09 SE bezel on mine and it looks a ton better. I didn't want to screw up the paint and took the whole outer fairing off. The bezel gave me quite a bit of trouble getting it to snap into place, but I won't have to take it on and off after washing the bike like that fish bowl lens cover. I can post pictures tonight if you're interested.
Supposedly, the headlight lenses themselves on the SE CVOs are "harder" which means the standard FLTRs have a "softer" acrylic covering over the bulbs. So, by going with the CVO bezel, you are making your lenses more succeptible to scratches and other road damages. Thats what others have posted about this in other threads before.

Quick Reply: 2008 Road Glide Headlight Cover Removal.