Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachable Tour Pack

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 11:48 PM
Vettepro
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachable Tour Pack

I'm picking up my new Street Glide this weekend and want to get a detachable tour pack so we can cruise up the coast to Big Sur.
What, exactly, do I need to get and where would I look?
I'd really like to have the wrap around rear seat like on the Ultra. So I'm guessing I'll have to get an OE unit?
Is there anything aftermarket that fits the bill?
If I find a used Tour Pack, what sort of bracketry do I need to make it detachable?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:53 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: Detachable Tour Pack

I did exactly what you want to do as have hundreds of people here on the forum. I don't have the time to answer all your questions right now. I learned a ton about this subject by doing a search. I actually spent a couple days reading posts on the subject.

You'll find everything you need to know by doing a search . . . give it a try.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:42 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

If you don't mind the wait try Ebay.You can save hundreds of dollars.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:57 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy from dealer you will need the following:
1) King or chopped tour pack
2) Passenger backrest for tour pack
3) Detachable tour pack rack
4) Lock for tour pack ( dealer can order lock to match the key code you have for bike)
5) Docking hardware
6) You can get by with buying a shorter antenna for your bike and not have to relocate anything

Old 04-16-2008, 07:27 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Here's a link to the HD website to help get you started on the list of items referenced by Peppa:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/brows...bmLocale=en_US

You will see chopped tour paks, King Tour Paks, and Ultra Tour Paks which will be available color-matched to your new bike. Some SG owners prefer to avoid the radio antenna issue (connecting it to the tour pak/disconnecting it when the TP is removed, by using an antenna mounted inside the fairing (such as Tune Trapper, Dakota Digital, and others). If you go in that direction, a Tour Pak for a Road King from the list above will not have the antenna mount on the TP which some prefer.

If you choose a TP without the Ultra Light Bar, you can add it since the light bar is sold as a seperate accessory under the "Lighting" section of the "Touring" P&A webpages. Many HDFers have installed this successfully as a DIY project. Alternatively, many prefer to add the TP spoiler/LED also found in the "lighting" section.

Many guys find purchasing from a 20% off list price HD store helps save money: Zanotti's, Chicago HD, do a lot of business on these items.

Many people find the Mutazu tour pak to be an excellent value compared to the HD TP--here's a link to their product:

http://www.mutazu.com/products.php?c...amp;s=prod.php

There are also a couple of aftermarket Ebay sellers with fiberglass TP's that are HD King TP knock-offs. I don't have their links. These come unpainted and with and without hardware, and without the steel bottom plate used in the HD King TP--HD doesn't sell the bottom plate as a seperate part. Unless you paint the box yourself (or buy a black bike and get a black gelcoat knock-off) or get the brother-in-law price to have it painted, the knock-offs come within a hundred bucks or so of what an HD King TP would cost from a 20% off HD store by the time the cost of hardware, paint, etc. are included.

As previously mentioned, use the "search" function and read--and read some more. The questions you ask come up often so there is a lot of information available.

Enjoy your new bike.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:44 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I just ordered my King Tour Pak in Black Pearl from M&M. Total was $611 shipped. They were the cheapest I found.

For the docking hardware, backrest and tour pack rack the cheapest was Zanottis. Total of $353 shipped.

Here is what I ordered.

Color-Matched King Tour-Pak® for '06-Later FLHX Models 53270-06BPY (The BPY is the color code. You will need to get what color code you need. Check the HD site)
Smooth King Tour-Pak® Backrest Pad 52892-98A
Detachable Two-Up Tour-Pak® Rack 53276-04
Touring Detachable Docking Hardware Kit 53804-06

It was suggested to me that I order the lock kit from my local dealer as the need the vin or key code to order a match.

Hope this helps.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:56 AM
eathomps
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A word of warning on ordering painted parts - I ordered painted lowers and tour pak for my Road Glide from the dealer I bought the bike from. When I went to pick them up they recommended I open and check them before I left. Even though the boxes were not damaged one of the lowers had paint damage from packaging; they returned it to be repainted. Not sure how easy that would be to do with parts sent through the mail. Girl in parts department said that it is not uncommon for painted parts to arrive with flaws. Given the condition most boxes I receive through UPS are in on arrival, I'd be leery of ordering painted parts through the mail. YMMV.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:47 AM
BillyG0856
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Vettepro

I'm picking up my new Street Glide this weekend and want to get a detachable tour pack so we can cruise up the coast to Big Sur.
I'd really like to have the wrap around rear seat like on the Ultra. So I'm guessing I'll have to get an OE unit?
If I find a used Tour Pack, what sort of bracketry do I need to make it detachable?
I spent several 'hours' searching this site and others......shopping for a tour pak for my Eglide Standard. I did NOT like the 'aftermarket' tour paks. To me they looked CHEAP. (just my opinion)

Ordered the below listed from Chicago Harley Davidson on March 7...shipped all but the keyed to match tour pak lockon March 19...received on March 24 (damn weekends)....the lock took almost 6 weeks. Hope this helps. Chicago beat Zanotti's price on the tour pak by almost $50. I cant complain. They even threw in 2 smokin' gun T-shirts for my GF and I...no charge. They shipped Fed EX....box for the tour pak was 'worn looking'....but the bubble wrap they had on it...it wasnt going to be damaged short of something HEAVY falling on it. The tour pak paint was flawless.

Products
[align=right][/align][align=right][/align]53274-06BXZ King Tour Pak (Fire Red Pearl) $599.20

53276-04 2-up Detachable Mount $143.96

68172-06 Tail / Brake Lights $171.16

53194-07 TOURPAK LOCK KIT KEYED TO MATCH$19.16

52395-03 Comfort Stitch Tour-Pak Backrest Pad $167.96

53842-00B Locking Push Button Fuel Door Lock $19.96

69494-06 Tour Pak Side Lights $95.96

Sub-Total - $1,217.36

Shipping to near Houston, Tx - $44.00

Total - $1,261.36

I did have to purchase the 2-up docking kit....did that locally.

Billy G

Old 04-16-2008, 11:58 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: BillyG0856

ORIGINAL: Vettepro

I spent several 'hours' searching this site and others......shopping for a tour pak for my Eglide Standard. I did NOT like the 'aftermarket' tour paks. To me they looked CHEAP. (just my opinion)

Ordered the below listed from Chicago Harley Davidson on March 7...shipped all but the keyed to match tour pak lock on March 19...received on March 24 (damn weekends)....the lock took almost 6 weeks. Hope this helps. Chicago beat Zanotti's price on the tour pak by almost $50. I cant complain. They even threw in 2 smokin' gun T-shirts for my GF and I...no charge. They shipped Fed EX....box for the tour pak was 'worn looking'....but the bubble wrap they had on it...it wasnt going to be damaged short of something HEAVY falling on it. The tour pak paint was flawless.

Products
[align=right] [/align][align=right] [/align]53274-06BXZ King Tour Pak (Fire Red Pearl) $599.20

53276-04 2-up Detachable Mount $143.96

68172-06 Tail / Brake Lights $171.16

53194-07 TOURPAK LOCK KIT KEYED TO MATCH $19.16

52395-03 Comfort Stitch Tour-Pak Backrest Pad $167.96

53842-00B Locking Push Button Fuel Door Lock $19.96

69494-06 Tour Pak Side Lights $95.96

Sub-Total - $1,217.36

Shipping to near Houston, Tx - $44.00

Total - $1,261.36

I did have to purchase the 2-up docking kit....did that locally.

Billy G
Billy, do you have a picture or two of the tourpak. Like they say . . . a picture is worth . . .

Old 04-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Scootr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do a search all the part #'s are there or call Zanotti's they well fix you up at a good price.

Quick Reply: Detachable Tour Pack