Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1, cheap and easy or big $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:06 PM
Coffee
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stage 1, cheap and easy or big $$$?

Also posted this in the tech section, but suspectI will get more feedback here.

My 07 FLHTC is completely stock. After a long group ride, with a lot of stops and starts, I finally see the need for a stage 1 mod.
After reading several threads, and asking a lot of stupid questions I thought that I had narrowed my decision down to a power Commanderr III, a free breathing A/C, and SuperTrapp SE Slip-ons.

Talked to the dealer that I bought the bike from and they carry neither the PCIII nor the SuperTrapps.
Big surprise, they recommended the Screming Eagle set up, still with slip-ons. For about the same amount of money.
Touting the advantage of the SE Race Tuner over the PCIII and stating that the Screaming Eagles were comparable to the SuperTrapps. Ididn't doubt the validity of that, as I read here that SuperTrapp originally made the Screaming Eagles for Harley, hence the designation of SE.

So I talked to a local "performance" shop, they recommended going with true duals vice the slip-ons due to the increased heat build up at the Y intersection. He recommended the Race Tuneror Super Tuner, the Screamin’ Eagle A/C,Rineharttrue dual headers, and S&Smufflers.

Needless to say, with every change the price goes up. So my question is:

What is the best compromise between performance, cost, and sound? I should preface that by saying that I don’t necessarily consider loud better. I like being able to hear my radio and face my neighbors, but I don’t want it to sound like I'm riding a sewing machine either.

Any experienced opinions?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:11 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Stage 1, cheap and easy or big $$$?

Easy...

FuelMoto - They have a package Deal... Jammie is a Member here...

http://www.fuelmotousa.com/

Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 PM
gregc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im at the same place your at ,there are a lot of options and many good choices for the budget minded take a look at fuelmoto they offer the whole package rush slipons a fuel mgt and air cleane I believe it was around $ 700.00 the thing I liked about this is its a plug and play simple mechanics so you can diy or not a lot to have it installed call and talk to Jamie I feel real comfortable with the setup also has 2 different baffles so you can get sound just not real loud good luck
GregC

Old 04-15-2008, 10:20 PM
confused
Road Captain

Do the Rush pipes from http://www.fuelmotousa.com/ w/ stage 1 cure the heat issues or do you really need to go with a True Dual set up?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:40 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm by no means an authority here, but here it goes:

You already know the 2 issues: Heat and Performance.

For heat, you need to have aECU add-ontuner that alters the Air/Fuel Ratio (richens it) to keep the heat down. You can put one of these on the bike yourself and not have to change pipes/air cleaner. I've used the Cobra FI2000 in the past and installing it is so easy that a "caveman can do it". It has simple dip switch settings for pipes, pipes+air cleaner and stock. You set the switches and ride off, that's it.

For performance, changing the air cleaner + mufflers/pipes will improve torque and HP. The gains will be < 10 on HP and maybe < 20on torque. YOU CAN change the headers/mufflers/air cleaner and the stock ECU will adjust to the new set-up, but it will still be lean in the air/fuel ratio. Adding a tuner to this set up will alter the air-fuel ratio and run cooler. If you don't get a tuner harley has a stage 1 ECU download that they can install for ~150.00 or so.

So with that said, just a tuner will work unless you want to have new pipes/muffler/AC.

The remark about more heat from the crossover is questionable.

My cost for stage 1:

80615-07 - SE MUFF TIPS

64985-07A - SE MUFFLER (2 EA)

29260-08 - STAGE 1 AC KIT
*Shipping Cost Not Included*

150.00 for Stage 1 ECU upload at the dealer.

Total: 658.23, did the work myself.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:20 PM
Coffee
Road Captain

Do the Rush pipes from http://www.fuelmotousa.com/ w/ stage 1 cure the heat issues or do you really need to go with a True Dual set up?
That is what I'm asking! Do I really need to go with true duals? Considering the remapping plus the cost of the headers, it is quite a bit more expensive. I don't mind spending the money if it is worth it, but my feeling is so far its not.

I have read several posts where someone is getting rid of their slip-ons in order to go to a 2-1 or true duals. If the end result with regard to sound, HP, and TQ are the same, why spend the money? Or if it is worth it, why not just go directly for the true duals instead of wasting my time and money with temporary slip-ons? It is easy to say go cheap and easy, as with the kit from FuelMoto, but then why are people then uprading again?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:38 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think changing the head pipes is just a personal choice that affords you little gains. It does however look good. If you are just interested in more control of the heat issue the fuel management is the key. The full stage 1 will get you some pleasing results as far as heat and performance are concerned but i personally don't understand or like the clip on devices as it seems some have had trouble with them or are constantly adjusting them. I also would not complete any package without a good dyno tune as each and every bike is different and using a box kit will only get you close to a good tune.

I went with a Sert, SE a/c with k&n filter, Rush 2.0, and Dyno on my 08UC and that solved the heat issue which was my only reason for getting it. The performance boost was a nice addition. I have been running smooth without a single issue and thats what i wanted. Drop it off go home to play with boat and pick it up later on the same day and thats a wrap. Good luck.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

To me, it's really a matter of personal preference. I strongly prefer the Rinehart TD's for appearance and sound to anything else I've seen or heard. But many others prefer slip-ons, etc. They aren't wrong; just different from me. And some might prefer Rineharts, for example, but don't think they are worth the bucks. Again, not wrong, just different from me. I shopped for the Rineharts and found them from Eastern Performance Cycles at a great price.

Ditto the SERT. Lots of guys running PCIII, Fuelpak, etc. and are very happy with their choice. I shopped and found a great price on a SERT--and happy to have it.

What you hopefully will avoid is making a compromise now that you will regret later--we all make compromises on our bikes (at least most "all" do), it's the compromises that we regret six months or a year later that amount to money wasted that sting the most, however.

One benefit of the true duals is elimination of the rear crossover pipe (specifically its heat)which I appreciate during the summer months here in metro Atlanta.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:52 PM
zzmellio
Tourer

I went with the economy route.

PCIII usb
Fullsac true dual conversion
Vance and Hines Basic Slip-ons
SE/AC

Old 04-16-2008, 01:52 AM
olgreydog7
Road Captain

Personally, I think that if you have no plans for major work in the future, get the dowload from the dealer. It's about half the price, but it's a one time fix. The only time I really noticed the heat from my y pipe was when I was stuck in traffic on the Vegas strip in 120 degree heat. There are plenty of places on the internet to get better deals on air cleaners and pipes.

Quick Reply: Stage 1, cheap and easy or big $$$?