Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1, cheap and easy or big $$$?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 02:15 AM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Stage 1, cheap and easy or big $$$?

ORIGINAL: Coffee

Do the Rush pipes from http://www.fuelmotousa.com/ w/ stage 1 cure the heat issues or do you really need to go with a True Dual set up?
That is what I'm asking! Do I really need to go with true duals? Considering the remapping plus the cost of the headers, it is quite a bit more expensive. I don't mind spending the money if it is worth it, but my feeling is so far its not.

I have read several posts where someone is getting rid of their slip-ons in order to go to a 2-1 or true duals. If the end result with regard to sound, HP, and TQ are the same, why spend the money? Or if it is worth it, why not just go directly for the true duals instead of wasting my time and money with temporary slip-ons? It is easy to say go cheap and easy, as with the kit from FuelMoto, but then why are people then uprading again?
True Duals NO - Will it address the HEAT ISSUES - NO - It's just moving the heat to the left side.. 2-into-1 systems are the PERFORMANCE Exhaust - Again not addressing the Heat Issue by-it's-self)
To Address the HEAT ISSUE - You need to richen the Fuel to Air mixture and that can be done with a Fuel Management System ... (SERT - V&H FuelPak - Power Commander III & Others)
Dealer Remapping - Is a WAIST OF $$$ as the Dealer is REQUIRED to adjust only per EPA STANDARDS which will still leave you running LEAN and LEAN = HEAT

Old 04-16-2008, 03:11 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

True Duals NO - Will it address the HEAT ISSUES - NO - It's just moving the heat to the left side.. 2-into-1 systems are the PERFORMANCE Exhaust - Again not addressing the Heat Issue by-it's-self)
To Address the HEAT ISSUE - You need to richen the Fuel to Air mixture and that can be done with a Fuel Management System ... (SERT - V&H FuelPak - Power Commander III & Others)
Dealer Remapping - Is a WAIST OF $$$ as the Dealer is REQUIRED to adjust only per EPA STANDARDS which will still leave you running LEAN and LEAN = HEAT
Waiting on an 08 Ultra to get here, and have spent many hours studying this problem. Listen to the above advice and spend your money wisely..........

Old 04-16-2008, 03:15 AM
murdock84
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coffee,

I was looking at doing the same set up pretty much what you have listed. PCIII and the Supertrapp SE pipes for my 2007 Rod King Custom. I talked to Jamie at FuelMoto and I think for the package with those two items plus shipping and end caps it was jsut around $700.00. Today I went to a local HD dealer and bought the Screaming Eagle Stage I air filter. When I take my bike in for the next service I will have them do the download for the new air filter. I also talked to a person about the new Screaming Eagle Pro EFI Super Tuner. This is similar to the PCIII but after talking to the dealer they pretty much talked me out of the Screaming Eagle Tuner. He said that whatever bike you put it on it has to stay with that bike. The PCIII can be taken off and used on a different bike if you would ever sell your current bike. They said the new Screaming Eagle marries itself to the bike it is installed on and can not be moved to another bike after it is installed. The PCIII should come pre downloaded to match your bikes specs then you can fine tune it yourself I think. Again I am no motorhead but this is information I got from the dealer and FuelMOto

Old 04-16-2008, 04:14 AM
Wchamberlain
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well for one thing , cheap and HD don't go hand in hand. It's all a matter of preference on your setup, I paid 700 for the TD rineharts, 250 for SEAC and 350 for the SERT, some people will find it cheaper. My dealer refused to install the PCIII, I'm in Iraq and my cousin is handling it for me so I was without options on the SERT. Overall, I love how it sounds, that's just a preference. So to answer your original question, not necessarily cheap, but it depends on how much you wanna spend.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:00 AM
brewdog
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the SE Air Cleaner, Rush 2.25" slip ons, and the SE Race Tuner. I love working on my bike anyway so I did it all myself. You could do the 150 dollardownload from the HD dealer as well to save even more money. Got a kick in power and had some fun in the process. I've had a ton of people tell me how good my Hog sounds with the rush mufflers. Why spend 575 bucks when you can get that kind of sound for 1/2 the money. I can guarantee you the performance increase over Rush will be fractional at best unless you do some major engine enhancements.