Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 09:53 PM
baddog1200c
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Throttle Problems

Hey guys and gals,

New to the forum but not to bikes or other forums. Did the search thing, says it's being looked at right now. I just bought a 2008 Ultra Classic two weeks ago to the day. 540 miles later It's back at the dealer with throttle problems. Started out with check engine light coming on. Day or two later I am cruising at 60 MPH and the bike just starts slowing down like no gas getting to engine, just boggs down as if there was a carb getting no gas. I play with the throttle a bit and it picks back up again and alls fine, this has happened two or three times now.Next trip (20 miles or so) no cruise control, will not engage at all. When cruise works at all it will sometime disengage for no reason, no braking or accelerating.

Anybody else experiencing any similar problems?

D

Old 04-15-2008, 10:12 PM
dhchicago
Novice
Default RE: Throttle Problems

I have a 2008 RK Classic with the same problems. It's been at the dealer now for over a week. They have told me they are in contact with an engineer at HD and it seems to that no one knows what the problem is. They have replaced the throttle sensor (supposedly 4 times) and they keep going bad. The computer has been checked and appears to be fine. Now they are trying to trace wiring from the throttle sensor to the compute to see if a wire may be pinched.

My dealer is being as helpful as they can be. They even gave me a free loaner in the meantime. However,I've spent a great deal more than just purchasing a stock bike. 103 CU, Rineharts, Seat, tons of chrome including wheels...I have about $35,000 into this bike and it's been in the shop more than on the road. And I want my bike back....Harley...what's going on???

If anyone has been through this and can help me point my dealership in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/58027/09092841876346FCBF49D2CFC66A6D22.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-16-2008, 01:22 PM
baddog1200c
1st Gear

Bump...

Old 04-16-2008, 01:34 PM
reddfinn
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: baddog1200c

Hey guys and gals,

New to the forum but not to bikes or other forums. Did the search thing, says it's being looked at right now. I just bought a 2008 Ultra Classic two weeks ago to the day. 540 miles later It's back at the dealer with throttle problems. Started out with check engine light coming on. Day or two later I am cruising at 60 MPH and the bike just starts slowing down like no gas getting to engine, just boggs down as if there was a carb getting no gas. I play with the throttle a bit and it picks back up again and alls fine, this has happened two or three times now.Next trip (20 miles or so) no cruise control, will not engage at all. When cruise works at all it will sometime disengage for no reason, no braking or accelerating.

Anybody else experiencing any similar problems?

D

I bought an 08 Ultra last October. After one week and 1,000 miles, it experienced the same symptons as yours. I found that the locking mechanism on the ECM wasn't in the locked position, and the ECM was almost unplugged. Snugged up the ECM plug, locked it down, and has run fine ever since.

I hope yours turns out to be something that is that easy to fix.

Old 04-16-2008, 01:44 PM
baddog1200c
1st Gear

I just had a security system installed at dealer two weekends ago and all this started after this. I wonder if it's that simple? Thanks for the suggestion.

D

Old 04-16-2008, 02:05 PM
reddfinn
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: baddog1200c

I just had a security system installed at dealer two weekends ago and all this started after this. I wonder if it's that simple? Thanks for the suggestion.

D
Yep. Keep your fingers crossed. I would that that if it started then, that it has something to do with the installation. My security system was factory installed. Mine started one day while riding. It was running fine until I stopped at an intersection, then it wouldn't run right.I was only six miles from the house, and I limped it on home. Good luck with your's.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:38 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well for those of you that are experiencing problems too bad.
For those that the dealer is trying to help and even giving a loaner good.
Now HD did NOT design this thing. Delphi did. Delphi is part of GM motors.
But HD has the responsibilty and liability to get it right.
appears to be becoming more prevalent as a couple months go by.
Now some states exclude Motorcycles from lemon law, because it is classed
as a recreational vehicle.
The EPA classes motorcycles as a MOTOR VEHICLE.
If it can't be fixed to your satisfaction, a lawyer will most likely have to become involved.
Maybe he can get it covered under lemon law in the courts based on EPA definitions.
But don't count on the MOCO to stand up and take the bike back and give you another
one just because.
Plan on a long fight if it comes to that.

Old 04-16-2008, 03:45 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hay-Sus Christo Choo.
Give it a rest.

This may not be that difficult.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:21 PM
Xtreme
Tourer

I hate to admit it but these post are popping up more and more lets see if the motor company will fixes this mess.

Old 04-16-2008, 07:10 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

NEVER
Not as long as one person is experiencing this problem which could be quite
dangerous.
And until HD comes up with a fix(not a bandaid) .
ORIGINAL: rocknrod

Hay-Sus Christo Choo.
Give it a rest.

This may not be that difficult.

Quick Reply: Throttle Problems