Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Corroded SG wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 02:08 PM
harris48cars
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corroded SG wheels

Being one of the few people who like the black SG wheel I am very disappointed that they are now corroding (At least that's what I call it). The aluminum rims require weekly maintenance. with Mothers polish and it's time consuming and aggravating. I've been looking at other Harley wheels and have yet to see this white chalky substance on them. It is difficult to remove and has begun to slightly pit. I am a clean freak! My bike is garaged always. Misery loves company so would someone out there tell me you have the same problem. I can't be the only one. My bike is an 08 but some new SG's sitting on the showroom floor have what appears to be a shinier version on my wheel. A painter I know looked at my wheel and said it definitely does not have a clear coat. Didn't they come from the factory with clear?
Gary

Old 04-15-2008, 02:13 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Corroded SG wheels

No.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:17 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

First, I'm another person who likes these black wheels and think it compliments the understated styling of the SG. Second, I don't think they are coated in any way, but I have not had a problem with corrosion. Are you using a cleaning like 409 on your wheels/tires that may be causing it? I know 409 will cause this problem, but I haven't noticed it with S100, as I use it regularly on the tire and wheel.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:22 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member

You are correct,many chemicals can attack in a very short period.Not sure where you live but coastal areas or even riding on salty roads before a good rain can dilute the stuff.I dont think they were clear coated.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:25 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member

I would agree.

I found this info:
"The corrosion resistance of aluminum is dependent upon a protective oxide film. This film is stable in aqueous media when the pH is between about 4.0 and 8.5. The oxide film is naturally self-renewing and accidental abrasion or other mechanical damage of the surface film is rapidly repaired"...
"When aluminum is exposed to alkaline conditions corrosion may occur, and when the oxide film is perforated locally, accelerated attack occurs because aluminum is attacked more rapidly than its oxide under alkaline conditions. The result is pitting. In acidic conditions, the oxide is more rapidly attacked than aluminum, and more general attack should result."

So cleaners dohave an effect depending on what you use.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:26 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 225 Posts

I just put them(SG black rims)on my 01 RG because the Chrome rims on my bike are pitting.(Has been for the last 4 years flaking off and bubbling up. ) Your gonnaget it one way or the other. The Chrome goes bad way to quick and I am tired of polishing it, So I went back to the painted rims.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:33 PM
uweldit
Road Captain

Harleys are great motorcycles, but fit and finish on the stock wheels leaves much to be desired. No matter how much I clean mine (no wax, just spray-on polish/wipe) they still don't look good to me.

Your only choice here could be to get them powdercoated. They have different shades of finish that will solve this problem for good. Some powdercoaters clearcoat the wheel after powdercoat has been applied.

Here isone of manycompanies that do this work:

http://www.custompowdercoating.com/motorcycle.aspx

I looked into this and decided to just replace my stock wheels with a chrome set from Pro-One. I will probably have my take-offs powder coated so I can use them on long trips, where I can get standard tires. I've heard that 21s and 18s are hard to find on the road.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:36 PM
harris48cars
Road Master

I'm getting a price tomorrow for "clear powder coating".
Gary

Old 04-15-2008, 04:22 PM
TheBlackBastard
Tourer

I put the SG wheels on my Road King Custom. I have noticed a similar problem, but only on the rear wheel. I have no idea what is causing this to happen???

Old 04-15-2008, 04:30 PM
jack49
Road Captain

I have to polish out mine once a week or they look like crap.
Rear wheel is a real pain in the butt.

Quick Reply: Corroded SG wheels