Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crashed - KEEP YOUR HELMET ON!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 06:19 PM
LdyMjo
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Crashed - KEEP YOUR HELMET ON!!!

Good advice--didn't know this. An intelligent thread--thanks for starting it[sm=smiley20.gif]!

Old 04-15-2008, 06:36 PM
Moonrider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On Easter sunday my wife and I were on our way back from checking on her parents when some cager decided to pull in front of us and then stopped....I don't remember what happend but I'm told that I tried to stop but layed the scoot down at last resort. Did not hit the car but ended up with some injuries. The wife had some serious road rash on her legs and arms. I had aconcushion, colasped lung, broken collarbone blunt trauma to the chest and lot's or bruises. My helmet,which we always wear, had a large crack on the left side. I have been riding for over 40 years and this is my 1st. and hopefully last incident. I cannot stress how thankful I am to have had my helmet on. There was a doctor at the scene who stopped people from moving me and removing my helmet. He even wouldn't let them take my sunglasses off. I think the outcome would have been gravely different if it had not been for the helmets and the doctor. It has been over 3weeks now and recovery is coming along. The bike faired much better than we did. I live here in FL and we do not have a mand. helmet law as stated earlier, but I wish we did. Helmets do save lives.

Oh, the er doctor told me later that he had seen 3 cycle accidents that day and we were the only ones to survive.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:57 PM
FLHP1034ME
Tourer

I sure hope that nobody is naive enough to think that wearing a helmet is going to keepyou from dying or getting injured. Motorcycling is dangerous. I don't want to see anybody get injured or die while doing this. You have to useyour brain and not let yourself get into a situation that could cost you.Every time I get on the bike I understand that I may not come home that evening. Just the way I think.

You get struck by lightning (or a deer)...that is an accident. Everything elseis human error. Be safe out there. With or without a helmet, you are engaging in a dangerous activity.

Here in Montana, we do not have a mandatory helmet law. One of our esteemed legislators tried to introduce one (again). Her argument...."42% of motorcyclists who died were not wearing helmets...." What she left out was that 58% of those motorcyclists who did perish, were wearing helmets. Spin it how you want. It is a dangerous activity. I don't want to hear of any member of this forum eating it. But...........its gonna happen.
With or without helmet. Sure hope it isn't me. Sure hope it isn't you either. Be careful out there. Let the professionals take care of the injured.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:39 PM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The helmet does not immobilize the neck.
But removing it most times does involve moving the neck and that can lead to
potential serious problem especially a full face helmet.
each scenario has it's own do's and don'ts.
If a rider is concious and able to respond and is not beeding severely (bleeding out),
I walk them through a procedure, wiggle toes and feet, if they move spinal cord is at least intact
but could be damaged, then slightly move a leg, etc If it moves same and if it doesn't hurt
most likley isn't broke (but as you said shock and adrenaline).
Then to fingers, hands and arms. This means the cervical area of spinal cord is at least intact.
But moving them physically is no no, unless it is absolutely necessary, heavy traffic, or the need
to apply bandaid or tourniquet. But the neck and spine should be immobilized while doing so and no more movement than what is actually necessary to accomplish the task.
I too went through the training, but in reality versus practice there are many things that can
occur that means you might have to do what you were trained not too.
Such is life, no guarantees.........

Old 04-15-2008, 08:12 PM
srf506
Advanced

I used to race in the SCCA. One particularly bad shunt I had I was a little numb feeling in my hands and legs. The EMTs at Daytona International Speedway pulled me out on a backboard and used lead shot bags and tape to immobilize my head with the helmet on. Even had my hands strapped down in front of me. Most uncomfortable ride I ever had in the back of that bus to Halifax on that board. Fortunately it was just some contusions and a mild concussion, but the ER docs removed my helmet, not the EMTs.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:22 PM
neonhomer
Road Captain

I believe the whole "do not remove your helmet or let anyone remove it" has a lot to do with the fact that to get a helmet off often requires movement of the head and neck. While the helmet might not keep your spine in line or keep your head imobilized, removing the helmet will certainly move the head and neck around...

I am also a resident of Florida, and know of the helmet law, or lack of. I still choose to wear one, though. Some think I look dorky wearing a 3/4 helmet on a Road King w/ a windshield... but after getting hit in the head by a lug nut that was freed from its wheel. So the helmet stays on the head!

I used to have one of those "Do not remove this helmet..." stickers on my old helmet. I had a spare, and decided to put it on my son's helmet instead... Waiting to pick up another to add to my sticker collection...

Old 04-16-2008, 09:11 AM
chiefparry
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am glad to see that the purpose of my post got through. Obviously I did not give a thorough explaination of the details of the "why not to" remove a helmet, but the rest of you hit the nail on the head so to speak. Ther are more people on here that I and they covered it pretty well. There are many factors to consider in crash victim evaluation and care. The point trying to be madewithout a lot of technical reasons are that most people having good intent do not realize that it is best to leave the helmet on until trained medical personnel are doing it. I have even seen somewhere you can get a sticker to apply to your helmet that says, "Do Not Remove my helmet unless by trained medical personnel". Even with that, most people would not pay much attention to a sticker on a helmet. Anyway I'm Gald I got most of you thinking, and as I stated, wearing a helmet is a personal decision, I do not wear all the time and I accept the FACT that I'm not that smart either. Stupid is as Stupid does!! Ride Forest Ride! I love this Forum!!! Ride Safe and may God bless and protect us all!!

Old 04-16-2008, 12:17 PM
392heminut
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: chiefparry

Just because you think you are OK does not mean you are. Shock and adrenaline causes your body to sometimes feel like you are not as bad as you actually may be.
You got that right! I went down a year and a half ago, and had a collapsed lung, broken shoulder blade and broken ribs in the front and back. My ribcage was in such bad shape that my wife (an RN and EMT) said that the only reason I didn't end up on a respirator was because of all the muscle mass I had built up over 20+ years of weightlifting.I'm a retired LEO with over 22 years experience and you would think that I would know better (and I do) but did I stay down at the scene? No, bystanders had stood my Ultra up and were having trouble with the kickstand, and I was thinking "Damn, they're gonna drop it on the other side!" I felt pretty good just lying there other than having trouble getting my breath back, but when I rolled to my hands & knees and felt all that crunching & grinding in my back I knew I was messed up! I still got to my feet and walked over to the bike like a dumbass! Fortunately I didn't have any spinal injuries, and yes I was wearing a helmet, and it was scraped pretty good on the side. Now when I look back on it, it amazes me that I didn't just lay there and wait for the ambulance!

Old 04-16-2008, 01:43 PM
WildBill2566
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: chiefparry

This past weekend there was a TMRA rally in the hill country of Texas. We all had a great time riding the “twisted sister roads” (the name says it all). The last day as we left we decided to run the only road we missed, highway 335. About 5 miles into the ride we came upon a bike down and guy laying in the road and his wife laying on the side of the road. His bike was about 100 yards in front of them meaning they were clipping along pretty good I’m guessing. They had hit a small dear and went down hard. When I got to them I realized it was fellow CMA member from a neighboring chapter. I have first responder training and administered what aid I could do. It took about 45 minutes for the first ambulance to arrive and another hour to life flight them to a San Antonio hospital. They all be OK but were messed up pretty good.
Now for the actual purpose of this post; both the down rider and his passenger wife had their helmets off when I got to them. When I asked what happened to their helmets they said they took them off. Up until then I know that everyone, even me, do not always wear a helmet when we ride. I wanted to believe that most motorcycle riders that wear a helmet just knew that when you crash, DO NOT ALLOW ANYONE TO TAKE YOUR HELMET OFF NOR SHOULD ANYONE REMOVE ANOTHER RIDERS HELMET! I can not emphasis this enough. I have seen too many neck and spinal injuries that are caused by all kinds of accidents, some minor some cause by actions after the crash. Just because you think you are OK does not mean you are. Shock and adrenaline causes your body to sometimes feel like you are not as bad as you actually may be. A helmet should only be removed by a doctor once at the hospital. You could actually cause serious damage to your spine by removing your helmet. I’m not talking about a “minor” crash (if there is such a thing) one without any doubt you do not need medical attention. I’m talking about the crash were you know you are hurt; it is very important to just lay still, do not move and wait for some help. Keeping the helmet on will immobilize your neck so you do not cause any further spinal damage. Food for thought and happy riding! Sorry this is so long but I did not know how to say it any other way.
Sorry m8 but this is a little too important to let go.

DO NOT BE AFRAID TO REMOVE SOMEONES CRAH HELMET, but consider if it is necessary. Sometimes you may be happy to leave the lid on, I wouldn't but then I've been trained and have refresher training every 2 years. Obviously if you can hear the ambulance coming it may be worth leaving the lid on.

Firstly one should get training to show how to remove a lid, and if a casualty never fight someone who is trying to remove your lid, if you are able you should remove it yourself, preferably with someone supporting you with one hand supporting the chin and one supporting the small of the neck just below the skull.

This is the problem with leaving a lid on.......
in order to survive you need to be breathing, and for that you need an airway, now with an open face lid its not such a problem but with a full face lid it is. If a casualty should vomit while concious the airway may be blocked, they will then start to choke followed closely by pannick by all concerned resulting in a rush to remove the lid and likely rough handling of the casuality. If unconcious or semi concious they may still vomit and lose the airway or may swallow the tongue blocking the airway. This will need to be cleared, which you wont be able to do with a full face lid. If the casualty stops breathing you need to start CPR, and this is not possible with a full face lid on. It is better to plan to remove a crash helmet and do so slowly without additinal time critical pressures than to wait for a casualty who has stoppe

Old 04-16-2008, 02:36 PM
Ogre
Intermediate

I just have one thing to say. This is one good thread. There has been alot of useful info.

Quick Reply: Crashed - KEEP YOUR HELMET ON!!!