Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Downshifting problem . . . I need advice . . HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 12:13 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Downshifting problem . . . I need advice . . HELP!

Started having a problem downshifitng my 07 Road Glide today after riding over 400 miles with weekend.

Let me try to describe the issue. I'm going to call the dealer in the morning but I could use some feedback from forum members before I talk with them.

Here's what it started doing . . . Noticed it first when I had to stop quickly from 4th gear and was not able to downshift through the gears as I normally do. If I stop in a higher gear than 1st gear, I can't click down shift through the gears to get to 1st. When I try to take off, I'm in 3rd or 2nd rather than 1st. The shift lever goes down and stays down just like if it was in 1st, but it's not. BTW, I normally downshift through the gears so don't chide me for stopping in a higher gear. This is when I have to stop quickly and do not have time to downshift normally. This is a new behavior because I've always been able to click down through the gears when stopped. I have over 5000 miles on the bike so I know how it acts normally.

Seems like all this started happening after things got good and hot. We were riding pretty hard on some real twisty roads. Next thing I know it won't downshift normally. Felt like a real idiot when I tried to take off and I was in 2nd. Had to let out the clutch and then try to downshift again to 1st.

Hope this all makes sense. It is hard to describe really.

Has anyone had a similar problem? I could really use some help.

Hey Greg and Zach . . . What do you think?

Steve

Old 04-14-2008, 12:39 AM
Shoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Downshifting problem . . . I need advice . . HELP!

I have found on other bikes I have owned that if you let the clutch out a little bit (halfway or so) without giving it gas while you are stopped and then pulling it back in, it helps the gears to "line up/mesh together. After that, it would shift into 1st with no issue.

I always had issues with my old bike getting stuck in neutral. The let the clutch out a little and then pull it back in; it worked every time.

Hey, worst case scenario, it doesnt help.....but its worth a shot.

Dave

Old 04-14-2008, 12:44 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

First thing I would check is your primary chain tension. Make sure it's within spec. I know it sounds stupid, but does the shift linkage look bent? Is the clutch working normal and have the right adjustment? Also, any sign of tranny fluid leaking? Any strange noises after it started doing this? When you are started in 2nd or 3rd gear, did it go into 1st once you realized it?

It's gotta be something simple.

Zach

Old 04-14-2008, 12:46 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for the quick reply Shoe.

Before this thread goes any farther, let me explain that this is something new. I could always click down through the gears while stopped before today. Now I can't.

Old 04-14-2008, 04:32 AM
EdwardK
Road Warrior
Received 306 Likes on 226 Posts

I've had that happen a couple of times to me and realized I wasn't letting the shifter lift all the way backup between shifts.I thought I was lifting my foot high enoughfor it to shift but I was not completely lifting my boot off the shifter. Up shift once and then it should go back to first easily.

I'vealso had my bike become extremely hard to shift when it was on the verge of overheating. Couldn't get it to shift out of first when ridingin a parade.

I run Mobil 1 75w90 now in the tranny and don't have a problem with the heat anymore and it shifts really nice.Not sure what your running but I am a big fan of gear lube instead of 20w50. After all, it is a gear box, why would you not use gear lube in a gear box?

Old 04-14-2008, 05:49 AM
vettedog72
Tourer

A bud on his '06 soft tail had something like that around the samenewness.The shift bushing needed to be reamed because it was too tight. The dealer did it and 15k later no problems occured. He could rock his back into position with the back shifter.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:22 AM
choochoo
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well taking a chance here.
1. is the clutch cable properly adjusted?
2. Is clutch itself properly adjusted?
3. Is the fluid level correct in tranny?
4. Drain the tranny is it full of shavings?

If a lot of metal in tranny something has gone bad, and every body here knows what I think
of HD's new 6 speed even though I don't own one.
If fluid is clear could be normal wear.
Next time it happens try down shifting and letting clutch out a little to cause shaft
to rotate this may let the engaged dogs release and the next lower gear to engage.
If it is this, you still need to get it repaired.
But I bet the dealer will not "find" anything wrong and will give you the it's normal crap.
Be sure to come back and let us know what it is was.

Old 04-14-2008, 11:48 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 197 Posts

What's the scoop Steve? Did you talk to the dealership?

Anyone else have a thought on this one?

Zach

Old 04-14-2008, 12:01 PM
vibr8ir
Cruiser

mayybe the heal toe shifter is slipping on the shaft .. check the tightness as they
tend to loosen up. lost mine on the f-way. let us know.. Steve

Old 04-14-2008, 12:37 PM
rsofa
Road Captain

Long shot here but by chance have you checked the link between the pedal and the trans to make sure
it isn't ready to fall off????

Quick Reply: Downshifting problem . . . I need advice . . HELP!