Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brighter headlight

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 07:41 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Default RE: Brighter headlight

Try xsighting.com they have HID lights for almost any type set up. Moco makes them for a single 7" bulb. I need to get a pair for the roadglide someday.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:44 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the PIAA. They make a HD shockproof model for motorcycles. They're great at night. One problem is that they are harder to see during the day because the light is do white. I usually ride with high beams on during the day.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:15 PM
liltrk
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: iann8ik

if you don't want to go the HID route, try a PIAA bulb. same current draw as stock but 100-110 watts vs. 55 or so. Plenty bright for me but i haven't tried it on a pitch dark country road yet.
A 110 watt bulb draws twice the current of a 55. Ohm's law states P=EI. P is watts, E is 12v, so I (current) has to be double.

Brightness is another story.

Old 04-14-2008, 09:27 PM
quackhead
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have this bulb and really like it. it is alot brighter.

http://www.kuryakyn.com/products.asp...ey&ci=3386

Old 04-15-2008, 07:30 AM
Jugg
Advanced

Thanks

Old 04-15-2008, 07:49 AM
barkster99
Tourer

07 RKC here. Several members here say good things about http://www.danielsternlighting.com so I sent him a note. His reply follows. Makes sense. I ordered his suggestions yesterday so hope to have report later this week. Not cheap but, cheaper than most chrome. Too many deer and dummies around here not to do whatever you can.

"The main problem you're up against is the optics in the stock headlamp. They're focused to give a pretty wide spread of light, but there's not enough seeing distance ahead. Put in a Cibie lens-reflector unit ($74.95) and an Osram 70/65w bulb ($22, maybe get a spare), aim the lamp carefully and correctly per http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.htmland you'll find you're much better able to see at night. If you want to upgrade the 'passing lamps', be advised they will never provide much of any light useful for seeing -- they're too small. However, they can be put to good use as conspicuity lights to help other road users see you in time to avoid doing something dumb in front of you. The original units create a beam only 11 degrees wide. You can replace these beam units with selective
yellow wide-beam units (40 degrees wide) so that people pulling out from side streets or adjacent lanes will be more likely to notice your
presence and position before doing so -- those beam units are $26.57/ea."

Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 AM
hoz88
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a pair of the piaa super plasmas in my RG. Pretty bright - worth the c-note imho.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:55 AM
Stash
Tourer

Just ordered a PIIA yesterday. Had an Osram H4ST in my previous bike, but friends piaa was brighter.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:41 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

The H-D P&A book dual Halogen headlight is what I put on my FLHRS, and it is better then stock. Not having any auxiliary lights I felt it was a good upgrade.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:18 PM
BlackBagger
Cruiser

I purchased the dual halogen set up also and like it, anyone know of the PIAA upgrades for that? Part numbers or "H" numbers?

Nothing could be found in "search"

Mg

Quick Reply: Brighter headlight