Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Primary chain slap?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008 | 04:22 PM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member
Default Primary chain slap?

I'm getting some occasional but very minor slapping sounds from the primary about where you would expect the primary chain to slap against the housing. I began noticing it after a trip to TX last week. It isn't constant, but when hot will randomly click maybe once every 5-10 sec. I only hear it when at idle and it isn't loud, though I can hear it while sitting on the bike. Today was cooler than yesterday, about 70° outside, and I didn't hear it at all during a 20-mile ride. Anyone else with '07's or later notice this with the auto-tensioner? I checked other objects in the area, like horn and shift linkage, and holding them steady while idling doesn't change the noise. Putting my ear near that area reveals it is coming from the top center of the outer primary cover, loudest being on the outside.

I removed my derby cover this AM when the bike was cold and noticed about 5/8" of slack in the upper part of the chain using a long screwdriver and flashlight. That's about what you'd want with a manual setup, and I didn't see where it could hit the housing. I tried to induce it to hit by bouncing it up and down with the screwdriver but it didn't. Perhaps the noise comes from the new compensator, which is different from earlier models and reportedly has weaker springs.

Old 04-15-2008 | 02:00 PM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Primary chain slap?j No comments?

Nobody?

Old 04-15-2008 | 02:15 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member

you don't by chance have the chrome cover from Kury on that side do you? I had a friend with the same problem, more persistant though, sounded exactly like a primary chain slap, we removed the cover and the noise stopped. Just a thought.

Old 04-15-2008 | 03:48 PM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Zimbob

you don't by chance have the chrome cover from Kury on that side do you? I had a friend with the same problem, more persistant though, sounded exactly like a primary chain slap, we removed the cover and the noise stopped. Just a thought.
No Kury covers on the left side, but I do have air horns and shift linkage flopping around at idle. Holding every piece in the area to steady it doesn't stop the rattle, and it sounds like it's coming from inside the primary toward the top but loudest on the side. I think if the compensator nut was loose it would rattle more than just at idle, and the behavior of the noise sounds exactly like a loose chain. It's not loose, however, at least not when cold. This is not a loud noise and is hardly audible while sitting on the bike.

Old 04-15-2008 | 04:14 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

Did you rotate the engine to make sure that you only had 5/8 inch play at the loosest point?

Old 04-15-2008 | 04:46 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

My '98 is doing the same thing. I have the Hayden M6 tensioner, but I have maxed out the shims and there is too much slack in the chain. New bikes don't have an inspection cover do they? I don't think looking through the derby will give you a good idea about the chain. (BTW, bad compensators usually sound like a bottom end slap and not intermittent.) If the chain is hitting the inside of the primary, you will have some aluminum in your primary oil. Take the cover off and check for marks, it's obvious. Maybe time for a new chain for both of us.

Read this too.

measuring chain slack

Old 04-15-2008 | 04:55 PM
Rusty70
Advanced

I had the same problem with my Train. I tightened the chain and added alittle fluid and the knock was gone.

Old 04-15-2008 | 06:31 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Default RE: Primary chain slap?

Not to be a smart A** or anything , but doesn't the auto tensioner on the newer models keep a constant tension on the primary chain?
I would think that there would be a fair bit of tension , even with the engine off with a spring loaded tensioner.
Does your factory manual show a way to check it from the derby cover?
If the bike didn't have an auto tensioner , it would get tighter after riding a while , which should make it better , I would think.
I'm curious as to what you have going on there as I was thinking of putting in a M6 or Harley setup when I have to remove my cover sometime.
Hope you get it figured soon.
Mick
P.S. Nice writeup on the FuelMoto muffler baffle deal.

Old 04-15-2008 | 07:01 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Mic, the tensioner only takes up the slack on the bottom of the run. Measurements are taken on the top run.

Old 04-15-2008 | 07:25 PM
choochoo
Banned

get a mechanic stethoscope or a long screwdriver and listen that way.
Move it around and pinpoint where it is loudest.
Also check the tranny and bottom of engine block.
Noise can travel and echo a long way from point of origin.

Quick Reply: Primary chain slap?