Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kuryakyn curved license plate frame

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 05:57 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Kuryakyn curved license plate frame

Just bought the curved license plate frame. Read directions for install. No problem, makes sense. have to remove two 1/2 inch nuts under fender. Question how? I can't hardly get my arm in there to have any room. I don't think my arms are that big. I know someone has installed these before. Help!
Thanks in advance. Jrsess

Old 04-13-2008, 06:13 AM
RjCapp
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kuryakyn curved license plate frame

Quick answer remove the rear tail light. Access nut through hole in fender.

"I neverinstalled onebut recall a post discussing this same problem. Apparently someoneremoved the rear wheel to install the bracket.. Anyway someone chimed in and I believe said you can access the nuts by removing the brake light Assy.. Do not remove the rear wheel."

Hey in turn you can help me out ??? Can you measure the area that the license platefits into the Kuryakyn curved license plate frame ??? I heard the Maryland plate is too large for the Kuryakyn curved license plate frame..

Maryland license plate is 4-1/2" x 8-1/2".

Thanks in advance

Old 04-13-2008, 06:14 AM
jclaflin
Novice

Well it isn't that bad the easiest way to get to the nuts is to remove the tailight assembly. Any other questions just post and I can respond. Josh

Old 04-13-2008, 06:32 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

RjCapp, The inside measurments are approximently 4 1/4 by 7. Jrsess

Old 04-13-2008, 06:49 AM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

Yes , the easiest way it to remove the tail light assembly and install it. After installation with the bike at idle check for vibration. It has been found that to much vibration will cause cracking of the flanges that hold it in place. Many have broken and lost the plate while riding. I took a 4 inch piece of 3/4" hose and split it in half. Then slid one half up under the plate holder until it was solid and could not be seen. No more vibration. I have over 10,000 miles with it this way and no cracking.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 04-13-2008, 07:14 AM
RjCapp
Road Master

Thanks

Old 04-13-2008, 08:40 AM
1SG
Advanced

I did my son's 06 street glide. Remove the bottom bolts on the shocks then jack it up. You thencan get your hand inside.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:13 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: StreetGlide2006

Yes , the easiest way it to remove the tail light assembly and install it. After installation with the bike at idle check for vibration. It has been found that to much vibration will cause cracking of the flanges that hold it in place. Many have broken and lost the plate while riding. I took a 4 inch piece of 3/4" hose and split it in half. Then slid one half up under the plate holder until it was solid and could not be seen. No more vibration. I have over 10,000 miles with it this way and no cracking.
The early frames had problems with cracking, and some lost their frames and plates when it finally broke. I had one of these, watched it closely, even inserted a rubber grommet to reduce vibration (similar to your suggestion), and when I saw the first sign of cracking I emailed the dealer, who replaced it forthrightly. The new one is a different design, thicker support member while the frame is lighter to reduce shaking. So far no problems in 10 months with the new one. If you have the old design, keep an eye on it even with the hose support.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

I just installed this on my 08 SG.

What I did was:
1. Jack the bike off the ground
2. Remove the license plate and holder
2. Remove the chrome bracket that goes between the the lower fender light and the saddle bag rails.

This will allow you to get your hand up between the fender and tire to get to the tail light bolts.
A 1/4" drive ratchet and 1/2" short socket worked for me.

Tip: be careful not to let the tail light assembly fall of onto the painted fender after removing the bolts.