Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trailer wiring ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:07 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trailer wiring ?

I have a 07 Ultra. I have already installed an isolator harness from Electrical Connection. So now I have a square plug "going" to the trailer. It has six wires ...Ground, Right turn, Left turn, running lights, brake lights and an extra one that I think is used for accessories. Most/all of the trailers I have looked at have 4 wire flat plugs. I really don't want to add lights to a new trailer.Any help would be appreciated.Wouldn't you think that if they are building trailers to be pulled by bikes they would wire them that way

Old 04-12-2008, 09:30 PM
dtmues
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Trailer wiring ?

accoding to j&p you may need the (run-turn-brake module OEM Kit 69461-06 from harley davidson). don't know for certain. Hope this helps.

however my bushtec trailer does have a flat 6 wire plug on it. So it's gonna make a difference on which brand of trailer you pull.

another forum may help you with this. they deal almost exclusively with motorcycle trailers. I did a lot of research there & here beforeI bought my trailer.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/MCTrailertowing/start

Old 04-12-2008, 09:53 PM
wydopn231
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

to each there own but man please dont out trailer behind a harley.It makes me sick each time Isee this.Never thought Id see bikes towing a trailer.seems to me your just asking for handling issues,and if carring that much maybe you should have taken the cage,But like I said t each their own.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:15 PM
kpb46
Road Master

ORIGINAL: wydopn231

to each there own but man please dont out trailer behind a harley.It makes me sick each time Isee this.Never thought Id see bikes towing a trailer.seems to me your just asking for handling issues,and if carring that much maybe you should have taken the cage,But like I said t each their own.
I am not interested in your opinion on whether or not I should pull a trailer behind my "Harley". The post is about wiring help..not what you think is or is not cool. As for handling, if you wont/don't pull a trailer,then your expertise on the subject is zero. I have pulled a trailer from Mich to Montana and Florida....no issues

demues...thanks for the J&P heads up

Old 04-12-2008, 11:24 PM
Artur
Cruiser

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index....categoryID=209
http://www.customcruiserchrome.com/converter

Since I haven't got any wiring on the bike yet.
I have the 6 wire square on the trailer and I'm switching that to the 5 wire round "Plug"
I couldn't find a 6 to 5 adaptor so I just got new wiring from TimeOut Trailers
I'll lose my inside trailer light, but that why they make flashlights.

http://timeouttrailers.org/accessories.aspx

The Harley Davidson Bike Wiring Kit (on the left) is $49.00.
5 wire plugs (round end) + wires are $19.00. We have either the bike end (pictured) or the trailer end available. Plug alone is $10 each end or $19 with wires.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:36 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

You don't have to be sick anymore. You no longer have to rely on your "seems to me" conclusions. A bagger can pull a trailer with ease and without incurring any handling issues.

Do a search, you will find hundreds of posts about how well the bikes handle while pulling a properly setup trailer.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:38 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: kpb46

I have a 07 Ultra. I have already installed an isolator harness from Electrical Connection. So now I have a square plug "going" to the trailer. It has six wires ...Ground, Right turn, Left turn, running lights, brake lights and an extra one that I think is used for accessories. Most/all of the trailers I have looked at have 4 wire flat plugs. I really don't want to add lights to a new trailer.Any help would be appreciated.Wouldn't you think that if they are building trailers to be pulled by bikes they would wire them that way

The drawtite isolator harness I am using takes 5 wires on the input side and has 4 wires on the output side that match up with the trailer plug.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:12 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain

http://www.ridetimetechnology.com/qc...er_adapter.htm

Don't know if this will help you...Give him a call. Nice guy and will give you the honest opinion to your questions. I spent about an hour and a half with him trying to decide on what lights I needed/wanted.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:12 AM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Mississippi Bagger

You don't have to be sick anymore. You no longer have to rely on your "seems to me" conclusions. A bagger can pull a trailer with ease and without incurring any handling issues.

Do a search, you will find hundreds of posts about how well the bikes handle while pulling a properly setup trailer.
I agree, I have pulled a trailer for over 30,000 miles and have never had any problems. It just takes a little comon sense when doing so.

As for the wireing the only difference between 4 wire and 5 wire is that the turn signals are seperated from the brake lights. 6 wire adds an accessory 12volt wire.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 04-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Actually a bike handles way better pulling a trailer behind than it does with all kinds of stuff strapped to it on the luggage rack or where ever. I can run the twisties in the mountains nearly as fast with my Bushtec behind me as I can on the bike by itself. I used to load down my bike with camping equipment and supplies and the handling would get so bad as to be almost dangerous, the trailer eliminated all of that.....the only difference is when it comes to stopping....you have to allow a little more distance.