Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider's backrest

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:39 AM
scoteh
Club Member
Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Rider's backrest

I've read all kinds of opinions on various rider's backrests, but still haven't gotten to the point where I can make a decision on what to buy. The Harley adjustable looks like a great choice, but is it worth the money if you rarely adjust it? The non-adjustable Harley one sounds like it pushes you too far forward without doing some creative bending to it. The Mustang backrest sounds good, but isn't cheap. I like the look of the Utopia backrest, but there are too few comments on them. I'd appreciate any and all comments to help me make an informed decision.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:03 AM
ltdan
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rider's backrest

I've got the adjustable, it is beneficial to me on long rides (500 miles and up). Once I got it adjusted to fit me, I haven't found reason to change it, but I like the ability to have it adjusted to where I want it, not where it has to go.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:07 AM
jakedog
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the HD standard riders backrest, works for me but I am only 5' 8".......[&:]

JD

Old 04-12-2008, 10:11 AM
rmouse
Advanced

I installed the Hydraulic Adjustable on my Road King, I like the option of changing the position or pressure on my back while riding. The adjustable isn't cheap, however it is well worth it in my opinion. There are a few dealers who will give you a 20% to 25% discount give them a call and ride in comfort.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:14 AM
MR. SCOOTINN
Tourer

mustang here....i like it because it is alot thiner than the hd leaving my wife more room when riding 2 up...plus it is easy to adjust on the move....for diffrent seating postions..

Old 04-12-2008, 10:18 AM
troutbum1971
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HD adjustable here........ love it too, but it was pricey

Old 04-12-2008, 11:29 AM
Skulmn
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Harley adjustable with a Mustang seat. The adjustable piece is worth the extra money. And it can be adjusted while riding.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:03 PM
caymen8
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Harley adjustable. I like how easy it is to adjust and that it comes off very easy when I don't want it there. I do use the adjustment while I'm riding to change my seating position a little from time to time.

Old 04-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the non adjustable backrest (Harley) and really like it.
I'm running the stock comfort stitch seat also.
I was worried about the adjustability after reading some of the posts , so I set it up at the rear most position (of 4 possibilities).
One run around the block and I had to go forward to even get it to touch my lower back.
Currently I have it at the second to the rear most adjustment and it's good for me now.
There is an adjustment screw for tilt at the base of the backrest which I haven't touched.
The height adjustment will make it feel different to some people also.
I'm probably a bit smaller than you at 5'8" 180 lbs and 34" waist , so maybe the bigger guys are having the problems with the non adjustable rest.
If I had the funds at the time , I would have gone with the adjustable , but so far I'm pretty happy with the basic one.
Even the non adjustable backrest tilts forward for the passenger to get on so the difference is up to each person to decide.
Mick

Old 04-12-2008, 04:58 PM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

The non-adjustable, which really is adjustable for both forward and backward movement, as well as tilt angle, works just fine for me. I'm 6'2" and about 200lbs. I'm comfortable with it and wouldn't leave home without it.

Quick Reply: Rider's backrest