Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

More Speaker/Amp Questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:34 AM
RCopeland1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More Speaker/Amp Questions

Ive been searching threads and havent really found anything about what I am wanting to do, I currently am running a stock HD radio ('01) with hogtunes speakers in the fairing, I have a small 100W amp that will fit nicely on top of the radio. I want to add a single 10" sub in one of the bags, I know I'll need a converter as the stock radio does not have the outputs for the amp, has anyone done this? Is it worth doing? I have mono amp/single sub setups in both my car and truck that sound great, just not sure how this would sound on a bike with the sub in one of the bags, any opinions appreciated!

Old 04-12-2008, 09:32 AM
PEZ
Tourer
Default RE: More Speaker/Amp Questions

Hey

If there were a way to do this (and work) I would have had it a long time ago. I like bass ALOT. Was a judge and Canadian president of DB Dragracing (worlds loudest car stereos) for 8 years. I had 8 15" woofers with big power in a safari van, and still have home subwoofers I helped design being sold all over North America.

Im telling ya--it will sound good at a stop light, but after 15mph, any "effect" from a sub is GONE. The ONLY way to get any useable bass is the MAXXBASS circuit you already have in our amp--the limiting factor here is the speaker size we have to deal with. As much as I think this takes away from being a bike, a set of 6x9's in the rear bags with some power would be a better idea for what your trying to get

You can do it, and I will even help design an enclosure for the sub you have, but "the screwing you will get is not worth the screwing you will take"

Right around now people may ask "Geez Pez, how do you really feel"

If you want to proceed--I have a god idea of the volume (VB) of the tour pak, and am happy to design a mutli cab, multi ported design to make it as loud as it can be

What is the 100 watt amp you have?

PEZ

Old 04-12-2008, 09:48 AM
RCopeland1
Cruiser

Wow! Thanks for the info Pez, if anyone would know, I'm sure you are the man! I'll just scratch that off my list of ideas, as far as my little amp: heres a photo, I also have a decent Alpine MRP-M200 Mono Amp I was using to drive a Sub, but I would have to mount that in one of the bags because of size, and Im not sure if it would be too much of a power draw on my electrics, I guess you could tell me that, and would I be able to wire this mono amp into 2 channels to drive a set of 6x9's in the bags?
Alpine MRP-M200

[IMG]local://upfiles/4146/479A38FC32854C0799114BFB55E6AF7A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4146/B64B63980245460D98E73577CF5C3FA8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-12-2008, 09:57 AM
rickxx
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've got pez's hogtune amp...works great. plug and play. great support too, when you have a question about it. who makes that 100 watt amp you've got?

Old 04-12-2008, 10:06 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

Pyle makes a 240 watt Ampthat will fit in your Fairing, I bought one and once my inner fairing comes back from the PainterI will be connecting it to my 5 1/4 fronts and 6x9 rear

Old 04-12-2008, 10:12 AM
RCopeland1
Cruiser

I assume the 6x9's are going in the bags? Do you have any specs on that Pyle Amp?

ORIGINAL: IceHeritage

Pyle makes a 240 watt Ampthat will fit in your Fairing, I bought one and once my inner fairing comes back from the PainterI will be connecting it to my 5 1/4 fronts and 6x9 rear

Old 04-12-2008, 10:22 AM
IceHeritage
Road Master

Here you go
http://www.pyleaudio.com/itemdetail....model=PLMRA120
[*]IC Power 120 Watts x 2 Output[*]Variable Input Gain Control[*]Power ON LED Indicator[*]High/Low Level Input[*]Remote Turn On/Off[*]Speaker Output Connector[*]Gold Plated RCA Inputs[*]Thermal / Overload / Short Circuit Protection[*]Heavy Duty Aluminum Alloy Heatsink[*]Load Dump Over Voltage Thermal Shutdown AC/DC Short Circuit Protector[*]Dimensions: 7.87'W x 2'H x 5.20'L[*]Weight: 2.30 (lbs)

Old 04-12-2008, 10:58 AM
mrbuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

the name pyle is way to close pyle'o'sh*t for me(lol)

Old 04-12-2008, 11:07 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want to do it right, get a serious amplifier and listen to what Pez is saying. I installed a 600 watt amplifier and cap in my bags with dual 6" pro series subs in each bag and as Pez stated, they sound great when stopped or show boating in a parking lot, but once you fire the bike up and start rolling, you CANNOT hear any bass from the rear. I was warned that x9's would sound better as they carry full signal, and I should have listened. I wouldn't call it a total loss but the 2500.00 plus spent did not produce the results I was after. Might change my subs out later for some 6x9 speakers and add a set of Pez's speaker mounting plates in the front lowers. Subs are enclosed at the rear of each bag as witnessed by the boxed enclosure behind the capacitor. Effective only while parked. [:@]

You can see the subs in the picture below. They are at the rear corner of the bags firing inward. Works great but not when moving.

This guy Pez knows what he's talking about. Trust me on this one! Make sure you start with a good amp if your going to do this!

Old 04-12-2008, 11:09 AM
da_big_Guy
Cruiser

We tested subs when I worked at Radio Sound (the company that made your radio). They sounded great until we started the bike, as soon as the bike started you couldn't hear it. Better speakers/more speakers that enhance the mid-ranges and good quality, more powerful amps, as already mentioned here, will give you the best possible sound. Think about some tweeters in/on the fairing too, you would hear more from those than you would a sub.

Quick Reply: More Speaker/Amp Questions