Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Flat tire!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:37 AM
scaires as hell
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flat tire!

I bet there are some stories to be told about flat tires. Had one 40 years ago, I still remember it like it wes yesterday and I only had to push it a few blocks to a gas station.

Ride on !!!!

Old 04-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Lyfer
Tourer
Default RE: Flat tire!

I just bought some Nealey plugs and a Slime pump just in case. Haven't had a flat in years, but want to be ready. Gettin' a flat on a Sunday afternoon would suck.

Old 04-12-2008, 09:51 AM
GzrGlide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only ever had 2 flats.
The most dramatic was a couple of years ago when my rear tire went flat at around 70mph. Two riders that were behind me couldn't believe I managed to keep it upright to the end. Back of the bike was all over the place and I was already planning on where I was going to ditch it. Picked up a big nail somewhere. Scariest thing I ever went thru on a bike.

A few weeks later a buddy calls me and tells me his front tire blew at around 40mph on his Ultra. His wife just sat back and waited while he used all his strength to try and hold onto the bars.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:47 AM
Roadhog02
Cruiser

My first flat on my Wide Glide I had the wife on the back and we were motoring down the freeway at about 75 when I started to feel that wiggly feeling. We were crossing over a two lane bridge that was about 1/4 of a mile long with about 200 feet to the end. It took my brain a couple of seconds to finaly understand that it wasn't the road pattern that was causing the wiggle. I think that it was at that point that I stopped breathing. I backed off on the throttle and just kept it pointed straight. My wife let me know how she felt with her death grip that she had on me. I was very lucky to be able to maintain the line I was riding and ease it over to the side of the road once we made it to the end of the bridge. The best part of this story is that it where I finally came to rest. I was right next to the Santa Maria Harley Davidson dealer. It wasjust before their opening time and one of the sales people saw me pushing my bike off the freeway. He sent one of the mechanics to pick me up and a couple of hours later we were back on the road.

Old 04-12-2008, 11:18 AM
scaires as hell
Cruiser

[quote]ORIGINAL: Roadhog02

My first flat on my Wide Glide I had the wife on the back and we were motoring down the freeway at about 75 when I started to feel that wiggly feeling. We were crossing over a two lane bridge that was about 1/4 of a mile long with about 200 feet to the end. It took my brain a couple of seconds to finaly understand that it wasn't the road pattern that was causing the wiggle. I think that it was at that point that I stopped breathing. I backed off on the throttle and just kept it pointed straight. My wife let me know how she felt with her death grip that she had on me. I was very lucky to be able to maintain the line I was riding and ease it over to the side of the road once we made it to the end of the bridge. The best part of this story is that it where I finally came to rest. I was right next to the Santa Maria Harley Davidson dealer. It wasjust before their opening time and one of the sales people saw me pushing my bike off the freeway. He sent one of the mechanics to pick me up and a couple of hours later we were back on the road.
[/
quote]

I allways new there was a HARLEY GOD !

Ride on !!!

Old 04-12-2008, 12:52 PM
maxum96
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: GzrGlide

Only ever had 2 flats.
The most dramatic was a couple of years ago when my rear tire went flat at around 70mph. Two riders that were behind me couldn't believe I managed to keep it upright to the end. Back of the bike was all over the place and I was already planning on where I was going to ditch it. Picked up a big nail somewhere. Scariest thing I ever went thru on a bike.

I thought I wrote that for a second. Very exact scenario for me when I got a flat on my Softail. I thought I was going to plow into the guardrail. I had to change my shorts out after I got stopped.

Old 04-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Billf
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I only experienced a flat tire on a bike about30 years ago (plenty of flats on minibikes when we were kids). Started to feel the wiggle at about 70-75 mph, and man did that scare thecrap out of me. Luckily I only had to push the bike a few hundred yards to a gas station, but that wasn't so easy - ahh - to be 19 or 20 again!!

Old 04-12-2008, 03:35 PM
OD_Cleaver
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had a flat(s) in '78. We, my wife on the back, werejust east of the SD Badland exit when the bike started to do the weave. I repaired the tube under the shade of a tree in the Catus Flats Standard station.

We drove all around the Black Hills for the next 4 days. My plan was to replace the tire at my brothers place north of Denver. About 20 miles south of New Castle, WY the tire went flat again. The tube was tearing at the patch site.

Patched the tube again. That patch lasted for about 2 miles when the bike went into that tell tale weave again.

I got a ride back to New Castle, WY were I was able to buy a new, almost the correct size, tube.I impressed myself how fast I was able to putin that new tube.

From that point on I always carried a spare tube. Now I carry a plug kit and a good pump.