Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaking fork on RK..new fork seal?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 11:56 AM
DWhite
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking fork on RK..new fork seal?

Hey all-

'04 Road King Custom

I did a chrome fork conversion a year or so ago following Moon Dogs fork swap how-to. At the end of the season last year I started getting some fork leakage out of the right tube.

Do I just need to change the seal again? Perhaps I never got it seated correctly the first time when installing?

It has been a long enough while ago that I did the swap that I cant really remember all the specifics on what I did. Will I need to drop the whole leg again or is it something I can do with the leg still on the bike?

Vague ideas I know but does anyone have any thoughts?

Any suggestions on a different fork oil to use other than the regular harley stuff?

Thanks

Old 04-11-2008, 01:12 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts
Default RE: Leaking fork on RK..new fork seal?

My thoughts:

Could be just the seal. It's easier to drop the leg from the bike when reinstalling the seal unless you have the proper seal driver. Also you may have scratched the fork tube which could lead to a leak so it would be best to drop the leg and inspect it very carefully. With luck, it's probably just the seal and once you replace you would be good to go. Where is it leaking from, the slider or the top? May only need the top seal. Try Belray fork oil for an HD alternative

Old 04-11-2008, 01:19 PM
DWhite
Tourer

Thanks, I havent inspected it thoroughly but the oil seems to be coming out around the bottom of the fork sliders (thats the cowbell thing right?)

Old 04-11-2008, 01:23 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,217 Likes on 1,837 Posts

Even if it is coming out from that area, it could be leaking from the seal at the top plug and running down.

Old 04-11-2008, 02:07 PM
DWhite
Tourer

ok, thanks. I will tear it down this weekend and see what I come up with.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Fireman44
Tourer

Maybe you did what I did and put the seal in upsidedown. It didnt leak for almost 500 miles.Yes you have to take the fork out again.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:09 PM
DWhite
Tourer

It is possible that I put it in upside down but how am I going to know which the right way is now?
Fireman.. I like your pic. I will be going to deals gap in 2 weeks. I have never been. It should be a good time.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:30 AM
DWhite
Tourer

ok guys, I got a new seal. Now since Fireman posted what he did I am now wondering if the seal is going on the right way or not.

So, what is the top of the fork seal. The shallow side or the deeper side? Does that make sense? There is one side where the middle of the seal is level with the outer rim and then the other side the middle of the seal is below the outer rim level. I would tke pics if I could but they dont really show the difference.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:53 PM
DWhite
Tourer

anyone have any ideas on this one? I am sure I got it on right the first time but I wanted to verify. Thanks

Old 04-22-2008, 03:22 PM
04RoadKing
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I just did mine a few weeks ago, and I know there is a wrong and right way but I can't remember for sure. I think the side that looks deeper faces down but??? The top should have alittle spring like looking thing that goes around the seal. Then you take your tool and tap it down on top of the little springy thing... It should show in the manual which way is up or down. GOOD luck..

Quick Reply: Leaking fork on RK..new fork seal?