Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, now this forum has me paranoid about my saddle bags getting stolen!

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 10:02 AM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default OK, now this forum has me paranoid about my saddle bags getting stolen!

OK, after reading various posts here on thefts, lock systems, and permanent bolt-down options forthe leather bags on my RKC, I am convinced that a thief must be lurking around the corner everywhere I go just waiting to steal mybags (and my detachable back rest) if I leave the bike out of my site! I went from "wow, look how easy it is to take them off" to "wow, look how easy it is FOR A LOW LIFE SCUMBAG to take them off". So I am now contemplating the various options mentioned to help protect, but they all seem to make things less flexible than the stock setup.

Acouple of simpler questions. I like to travel on motorcycles, which often means nights in economy hotels with outside parking which is not always right outside my door. How many of you just take your bags (and backrest) off and with you into the room each night? Also, how many of you at least "hide" your ride under a lockable motorcycle cover? How effective are alarm systems in your opinion (mine doesn't have any factory alarm on it currently)?

It's really a shame so many of us have to inconvenience ourselves just to avoid the few low-lifes out there that would steal from their own grandmothers.[:@]

Old 04-11-2008, 10:07 AM
thekidnkaren
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: OK, now this forum has me paranoid about my saddle bags getting stolen!

I have driven alot of miles and stayed in some real fleabag Motels. Usually anything of value I take off the bike or out of the bags and ask at the office if I can have a room with a view of my bike. When I had a smaller bike, sometimes I would push it in the room with me as soon as it cooled off and put my raingear or towel under the motor (Just in case).

Old 04-11-2008, 10:12 AM
GasCan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: OK, now this forum has me paranoid about my saddle bags getting stolen!

If I'm at a hotel, I remove my tourpac when it's on the bike, and aside from that, I lock it up good, set the alarm and keep a good eye on it. My hardbags have substantial stereo gear in them so I have replaced one pin with a carriage bolt and have locknutted it on the inside of the bag. If they want my bags they're gonna have to break them to get them off, and they'd better hope I am nowhere in the area.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:15 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member

I hope they steal mine so I can get the stretched ones!!!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:16 AM
adlerx
Road Captain

Harley makes locks for both the saddlebags and the backrest. Reading these forums will make you think all the worst of everything about your bike, you'll swear it's about to blow up every time you start it, or the wheels are gonna fall off, or some other "issue of the month"is going to occur....Lock your bags and backrest and pay your insurance premium or just carry em in with you at night. As far as an alarm for your security system, the radio shack sirem is about 6 bucks and takes about 10-15 minutes or less to install. Won't help with bags and backrest though. Good Luck!

Old 04-11-2008, 10:17 AM
mrsr71
Outstanding HDF Member

My bags are "bolted on" (remove contents.) I remove the two backrests, set the alarm, activate the pager, New York chain though the front wheel & frame, sleep with one eye open, and 9mm on the night stand.

Paranoid – yes. Can it be stolen – yes, but it makes it a little tougher.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:28 AM
MustBBrent
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: adlerx

Harley makes locks for both the saddlebags and the backrest. Reading these forums will make you think all the worst of everything about your bike, you'll swear it's about to blow up every time you start it, or the wheels are gonna fall off, or some other "issue of the month"is going to occur....Lock your bags and backrest and pay your insurance premium or just carry em in with you at night. As far as an alarm for your security system, the radio shack sirem is about 6 bucks and takes about 10-15 minutes or less to install. Won't help with bags and backrest though. Good Luck!
+1. I bought the $15 lock for the back rest and installed it myself in 10 minutes. I thenwent to home depot and bought 2 bolts ( i apologize as i forget the length but make thema bit longer than the quick disconnectsand 2 lock nuts and 2 hex nuts for locking the rear connections of the saddlebags to the bike. Works fine. A thief is not going to spend the time to find a wrench and disconnect them. And if the thief really wants them, he is going to rip the plastic and the leather to get them. I have been in a few motels with the bike and i do the same as was mentioned. Get a room with a view of the parking lot and the bike... and I have the alarm with pager.

Old 04-11-2008, 10:35 AM
Old Bones
Road Master

ORIGINAL: drrandall1

I hope they steal mine so I can get the stretched ones!!!

+1

Old 04-11-2008, 10:46 AM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member

Just keep your insurance up to date and ride. If they really want them they will get them no matter what. And if they want it so bad they will take the whole bike. Too many more important things to worry about.

Old 04-11-2008, 11:19 AM
ironhead3fan
Road Master

ORIGINAL: RD GLD

Just keep your insurance up to date and ride. If they really want them they will get them no matter what. And if they want it so bad they will take the whole bike. Too many more important things to worry about.

+1

If you sit around and worry about it, you won't ever travel or have any fun.

Quick Reply: OK, now this forum has me paranoid about my saddle bags getting stolen!