Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ding on Fender

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 05:40 AM
DanB
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ding on Fender

You do the best you can at keeping the bike upright..trying to keep the paint job in good shape, including.parking it in safe places....and then something stupid happens.

Yesterday, I parked my bike in front of my office. There is a Target store 2 doors down from me. They have shopping carts and many times customers just leave their cart on the side walk. Yesterday, windy as can be.....I hear one of my employees yelling...OH NO>>>>>and then bang. Seems the wind blew a cart towards my bike, the front left wheel of the cart left the sidewalk and the damn thing just dropped dead on top of my front fender. I now have a DENT. Paint it fine..just a damn DENT.

My question is, after taking the front tire off, is it possible to just "pop" that ding out..myself...or is this something that I should take to the body shop?????Like I said, there is no scratch or paint missing. Just the dent...like someone hit the top of the fender with a ball pin hammer.

Any thoughts or suggestions from any body shoppers????

DanB

Old 04-11-2008, 06:19 AM
Xchief
Advanced
Default RE: Ding on Fender

Dan, try an internet serch for dent removal companies. Here in NJ there is a company called dent wizzard , I have used them many times
and once on my old scout. It had a dent like yours on the fender and they where able to remove it with it still on the bike, anad it was
literally gone . They do some great work as long as there is no paint chipped . Hope that helps . Good luck.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:26 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that sucks. That's one of those things that just **** you off to no end. I'd try looking up "paintless dent removal" in you area. They have a specialized set of tools they can use to "massage" the dent out. Good luck with it and next time- watch where you park. Can you getyour bikeinto the lobby of your office maybe?

Old 04-11-2008, 06:50 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If there isn't a crease in the dent, that is if it is a nice rounded dent try the dry-ice trick. The fender needs to get good and warm like sitting in the hot sun for a couple hours, then take a piece of dry-ice (with a good glove on) and slowly rub it in the dented area....in many cases the dent will just pop out.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:29 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before I did any of those, I'd be talking w/the Target manager. Despite their signs to the contrary, most courts have held that they ARE responsible for damage carts cause to vehicles....

Old 04-11-2008, 07:37 AM
RD GLD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: DanB

You do the best you can at keeping the bike upright..trying to keep the paint job in good shape, including.parking it in safe places....and then something stupid happens.

Yesterday, I parked my bike in front of my office. There is a Target store 2 doors down from me. They have shopping carts and many times customers just leave their cart on the side walk. Yesterday, windy as can be.....I hear one of my employees yelling...OH NO>>>>>and then bang. Seems the wind blew a cart towards my bike, the front left wheel of the cart left the sidewalk and the damn thing just dropped dead on top of my front fender. I now have a DENT. Paint it fine..just a damn DENT.

My question is, after taking the front tire off, is it possible to just "pop" that ding out..myself...or is this something that I should take to the body shop?????Like I said, there is no scratch or paint missing. Just the dent...like someone hit the top of the fender with a ball pin hammer.

Any thoughts or suggestions from any body shoppers????

DanB

Here you go..
http://www.dentout.net/pdrindex.htm

And, Dent Busters:
Houston, TX 77024
(713) 464-6676
Get directions

Old 04-11-2008, 07:52 AM
daharleyrdr
Tourer

DANB
I dont know where you live but here in New Jersey I used "Dent Doctor" call Keith Franklin 908 713-1333. Hes a Harley Rider also, has fixed many MC fenders and gas tanks!!Fixed the Mrs car had a dent the size of a 50 cent piece took it right out, If I didn't tell you where it was you would never know there was a dent removed effin amazin!!!! I dont know the cost the dealer payed as the car was damaged when it was ther for servicing! Isnt that always the way. I know they have a minimum, but Its cheaper than a fender gotta be!!!! Rida Safe Bill nit we

Old 04-11-2008, 08:11 AM
xxxflhrci
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have used paintless dent guys on my truck a couple of times and always got flawless results.

However, I got a ding in my front fender on my RKC from the brake tee hitting the fender during braking and hitting a hole at the right time....yep, it is common....Swapping to SE Heavy fork oil will help prevent it.....At any rate, I took the tire out and used the curved edge to tap the ding out. Looks perfect.

Old 04-11-2008, 08:23 AM
n8dc
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I put a dent in the top of my fender on my electra glide and had a dent guy remove most of it.. he told me harleys are a lot harder to do without cracking the paint cause the metal is so thick as compared to the tin foil used on cars.. Its 98% gone and i was happly with the results. I have heard of other people using these guys and getting 100% results. maybe the guy i used was just too cautious.. But again Im happy.
Dave

Old 04-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Buzzsaw
Road Captain

+1 for the paintless dent removal guys...they fixed my RK front fender that was dinged by a bike..could not tell it had been damaged.

Scott
2007 EGC
IDS

Quick Reply: Ding on Fender