Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone keep their drivetrain stock?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:25 PM
Adk.IBO
Cruiser
Received 73 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Does anyone keep their drivetrain stock?

Including exhaust, intake, fuel injection mapping...ect. I am considering Harley as a next motorcycle, after my girls are out of college, but I have no interest in loud. Do the $18k + bikes run so unsatisfactory that another $1k is necessary? I plan on riding a street glide somewhere this summer (maybe Americade) to make up my own mind, but I was wondering what the general concensus on stock was. Thanks, John

Old 02-11-2006, 05:07 PM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Does anyone keep their drivetrain stock?

John - I am not expert but in my opinion running stock is just fine - Mine ran great off the show room floor - Don't let a anyone including your dealer talk you into anything you might not want. That said don't assume you will be 100% happy with putting your money down and riding home - You will want "stuff" almost right away - If you get the bug you will pour more money into your ride then you ever thought possible (In my case it has been nothing but fun!) - It simply costs more to ride a harley but done right you can get a ton of bang for your buck - Read here and learn about mapping and Stage 1 upgrades etc.... and tons of other optional things you can do to make your ride your own - Smart move on renting or borrowing and make sure you ride as many types as you can - You may think you want X and then end up with Y - Good luck and welcome to the forum - kess

Old 02-11-2006, 05:27 PM
CharlieZ
Tourer

I have an 05 FLHRI Road King that is pure 100% stock. Have 9,000 miles on it. Drove 3,500 miles in one week going to Sturgis and back. It will cruise at 85 to 90 all day long. Gas mileage is great. I am going to bike week on it in a few weeks. Bike does not use oil, never runs hot, starts every time and runs straignt down the road.

Old 02-11-2006, 05:32 PM
alazlo
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stock bike is great for touring. I have a bone stock Ultra that I rode all last summer. I also have a noisy, 103 CI bike for the times when I feel like I need it. I ride with several guys on bone stock bikes & we regularly cruise at 75-85 mph. I readily admit that the noise and power is all about testosterone..

Old 02-11-2006, 06:59 PM
scttgr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I dont suppose there is any reason that "stock" wouldnt be ok but then again for only 1K you are probably staying pretty stock anyhow...but that comment is coming from a guy that buys a "stock" Z71 Chevy P/U and changed the air induction system and exhaust after the first oil change. I also made several additional cosmetic mods to "personalize" it for me. (both the bike and truck) the wife just cringes and shrugs her shoulders when I come home with a new toy because it never stays stock and she knows it may be gone tomorrow for something better. I uppose it isnt really a matter of need but more of a want ...

Old 02-11-2006, 07:40 PM
sbd
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my 05 ultra is all stock(drive train) except for a K&N air fliter... I like it just the way it is....its all up to you.....JERRY

Old 02-11-2006, 07:46 PM
bountyhunter
Banned

If ya keep it stock, it aint gonna rock. Make some noise! I love the sound of a sweet exhaust. Better than listening to the stereo.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:35 PM
FLHX
Advanced

John,

Go for the harley. Don't settle for anything else. I bought a Honda Shadow in 2001. I had trouble with it burning oil, noisy lifters, and I went thru 3 speedometer cables. After riding it 2 years and putting 25k miles on it, I decided to buy a new 04 Deuce. I put 20k on it and never had a single problem with.

I now have a stock street glide. I've put 2500 miles on it and it runs great. I will eventually put an exhaust on it, but not because there is anything wrong with the way it runs stock. I just want more noise! I just haven't decided which exhaust to get yet.

Get the Harley. You won't regret it.

Old 02-11-2006, 09:50 PM
wildcat641
Novice

I paid the "Harley tax" on both my Electraglides. Was never happy with the remap (exhaust popping). I'm not willing to spend another $700 for a race tuner and dino time, so I put the stock pipes back on. I like 'em just fine. Dealer told me the remap on my 05 only covers the air cleaner. Nothing wrong with making a little noise, but you'll pay the price to make it run right. Stock=dependable!

Old 02-11-2006, 10:25 PM
sleepman54
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've only had my glide for a little over a month and have put 2,000 miles on it so far. I'm actually quite happy with how it runs stock. My sportster was a different story I ordered exhaust for it less then a week after bringing it home. I don't currently have any plans to make any performance changes to my e-glide anytime soon.

Quick Reply: Does anyone keep their drivetrain stock?